Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 06:34 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times

Advertisements

I was taught this handy sentence to remember the difference between "hung" and "hanged":

"The judge hung up his robes when he realized that he would be responsible for people being hanged."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 06:51 PM

319 posts, read 66,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Another one is using "advise" for "advice", e.g., "I need some advise ...."
Yes, but that would be very difficult for me to detect, since several words change "S/C" according to whether it is American or British English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's actually a little easier for non-native English speakers because they tend to encounter the written language first, or at the same time as the spoken language.
You don't think that non-natives are so arrogant to criticize native English-speakers and not self-incriminate.
It happens that being English the language that is spoken in the whole world, it becomes more remarkable. But that doesn’t implicate non-natives are free from sin. Something like "whoever is free from sins who throws the first stone".
We could make a similar thread with the mistakes of us, Hispanics, and I'm sure we would surpass those of English speakers.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:53 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
'Weary, sometimes misspelled as 'weery.' It's often misused used as as some frankenstein concoction of 'leery' and 'wary' somehow run together into 'weary'.
Weary means tired, leery and wary mean cautious or suspicious.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,924,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I read a lot what people write in forums and stuff like that and I often come across mistakes made by natives. I’m not referring to grammar mistakes or using the wrong verb, which would be more understandable but rather wrong spelling.
Some of your examples are homophones (words that sound alike but have different meanings) which can confuse even the well-educated.

I'm a college graduate, an avid Scrabble player and a devout cruciverbalist.

I am proud of my command of the English language, yet I also have problems with "affect" and "effect."

Other examples for me are "inure" vs "enure," "principle" vs "principal."

I still have to look them up when I use them.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:45 PM

19,869 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
It's fairly common to see "gun site" instead of "gun sight".
Oh yea. The sight, site and cite thing is real.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:08 PM

19,837 posts, read 9,402,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can add "ensure" to those.
Absolutely.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:50 PM

218 posts, read 156,608 times
Maybe not a spelling issue, but maybe it is: Just look on C-D every day and see so many (supposedly) native English-speakers who for some stupid reason think an apostrophe before "s" is needed to make a word plural. I am not talking about those rare cases where it's required, but rather with any random noun, e.g., "Many American's like to..." (Never mind the abomination with verbs like "get's" and "say's" that I have seen on C-D also.) Why do so many people do this? STOP IT!

Old 01-27-2024, 12:52 AM

37,651 posts, read 46,067,796 times
"I seen....."

OMG. Why do people say this? It makes me cringe every time I hear it. I really have to put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from correcting them.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:58 AM

1,832 posts, read 814,997 times
principal/principal
capital/capitol

And when/why did people start substituting “on accident” for “by accident”?

Also

desert, region of very dry land
desert, to abandon
dessert, the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal, I.e., cake, pudding, ice cream, etc.

Old 01-27-2024, 03:35 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,053,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

The one that I see a lot today is leaving out the verb "to be." As in "the clothes needs washed" instead of "the clothes need to be washed."
This is very common in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education