Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2020, 09:14 PM

37 posts, read 23,959 times

Advertisements

The new quarterly survey is a way for city leaders to be more responsive and agile to employee concerns, but doesn’t include questions on harassment, bullying or discrimination in the workplace.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...KRHR9smG205wpE

The City of Edmonton actually had a way for employees to file complaints against management that used a neutral 3rd party to investigate but they never informed their employees.

What's worse is even the unions never informed the employees of its' existence.

The City unions are in bed with the City of Edmonton Management and Human Resources.

You probably can't Google an example of lawsuits against the City because most employees can't afford it.
Those employees thought that their union would help.
Instead, they were faced with having to bring their union to Court but again, could not afford it.

Whistleblower protection laws to allow employees to go public with the corrupt acts of the City's HR and the unions should be allowed.

p.s. How do I get the hyperlink feature to work for the website address I added?

Last edited by OnCloseInspection; 10-07-2020 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: hyperlink doesn't work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 09:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnCloseInspection View Post

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...KRHR9smG205wpE

.... p.s. How do I get the hyperlink feature to work for the website address I added?
Usually a new member, 1st time poster, has to make a few more posts before they can post links to other websites. The forum is set up that way to discourage spam.

It's a legitimate link (I tested it) so you can click on the link contained within the quote above in this post of mine. That will connect readers to the article you are trying to post.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Unfortunately, the Union movement often attracts (for full time employment) people that forget quickly that PEOPLE are Unions only real resource. It becomes more about control, who's in charge, and not empowering the great unwashed (which is where they came from).

However, since Union members USUALLY elect their reps. I'd suggest you run for office. Start there?

We'd often talk about the "Stokholm Syndrome" that so many business agents fall into, spending so much time with management they come to identify with the other side of the issues.

ONE IMPORTANT thing to check is if your Union agreement has a DISCLOSURE clause. If it doesn't that means you're reps. are making back room 'deals" behind not only your back, but the agreements back, and management manual, AND the Charter. For starters.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:24 PM

Default City Council Code of Conduct

Council sets a poor example for city staff and management who are working through their own issues of harassment and bullying.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4133300/e...de-of-conduct/

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...duct-toothless

I just scanned their Code of Conduct and it leaves Councillors off the hook
when it comes to giving logical reasons for voting to punish or not punish a Councillor for violations.
They talk about reporting violations, investigating it and suggested sanctions... but nowhere do they mention that a Councillor needs to explain why they would vote against punishment when found guilty.
Typical.
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defaul...?cb=1626553865

This unaccountability is rampant in City Management.
When I first became an employee with the City of Edmonton, they had a meeting for us employees and the City's Employee Code of Conduct. I quickly perused the booklet and asked where it explains how to hold managers accountable.
This was followed by an eerie cold silence......

Last edited by OnCloseInspection; 07-17-2021 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 09:08 PM

Default Disclosure clause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Unfortunately, the Union movement often attracts (for full time employment) people that forget quickly that PEOPLE are Unions only real resource. It becomes more about control, who's in charge, and not empowering the great unwashed (which is where they came from).

However, since Union members USUALLY elect their reps. I'd suggest you run for office. Start there?

We'd often talk about the "Stokholm Syndrome" that so many business agents fall into, spending so much time with management they come to identify with the other side of the issues.

ONE IMPORTANT thing to check is if your Union agreement has a DISCLOSURE clause. If it doesn't that means you're reps. are making back room 'deals" behind not only your back, but the agreements back, and management manual, AND the Charter. For starters.
Late reply 'thedwightguy'

#1 Running for union office would be futile, as the national union is OK with the Local union corruption.

#2 When stating "Union agreement", are you referring to the unions' bylaws and constitution
or the Unions' collective agreement with the employer?

Old 07-20-2021, 12:48 AM

The "FORMAL INVESTIGATION and RECORD-KEEPING GUIDELINES
for
COMPLAINTS of HARASSMENT and DISCRIMINATION"

It mentions an impartial neutral 3rd party investigator at least 3 times.

A guideline that they used to keep hidden and may no longer have. Or they still hide it.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default "corruption"? is a pretty wide swath to paint, and off your own topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnCloseInspection View Post
Late reply 'thedwightguy'

#1 Running for union office would be futile, as the national union is OK with the Local union corruption.

#2 When stating "Union agreement", are you referring to the unions' bylaws and constitution
or the Unions' collective agreement with the employer?
1) What "National" Union represents the City of Edmonton??? And define "corruption", that's a pretty wide swath term. Actually, I observed an example when a National Union absorbed my old Local (there would have been a financial AND operational audit at that time) Two of the "usual suspects" were immediately terminated. My guess is they found out what I knew two decades ago, but had no one to take it to.

2) In the Union Collective Agreement there HAS to be a "disclosure clause" and if there isn't one, you're basically throws a wrench into any legitimate process to unfold: progressive discipline (which is IMPLIED in most common law) and would limit problem solving on a local level, by the first line, VOLUNTEERS.

Find out where and how much education your full time paid Union people actually have. Edmonton is a blue collar town. If they're from some goat farm in northern Sask. you have a problem I dealt with that with the Railroad Union (CBRT) and it's "logistics" arm. These guys wouldn't know the difference between a superiority complex making an unsubstantiated complaint and Svend Robinsons' boyfriends THONG. They DO UNDERSTAND theft, drug use, a physical fight in the workplace, but don't give them an INTANGIBLE issue. They don't know what to do with it, so they BAIL. I saw this recently for a guy fired from a pulp mill in BC over ONE vague complaint. He's hooped, but doesn't know it yet.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM

Default Clarity is important - Please elaborate

Quote:
1) What "National" Union represents the City of Edmonton???
Unions don't represent corporations they are supposed to represent employees.
City of Edmonton has many unions for their workers.
National unions oversee local unions.
You mentioned running for local union office, as if that would solve the internal local union corruption that the national union is well aware of.
I would think that would have been obvious to you?

Quote:
And define "corruption", that's a pretty wide swath term. Actually, I observed an example when a National Union absorbed my old Local (there would have been a financial AND operational audit at that time) Two of the "usual suspects" were immediately terminated. My guess is they found out what I knew two decades ago, but had no one to take it to.
You ask for a definition of corruption then immediately provide an example?
Your vague example indirectly alluded to inappropriate finances that would cause a national union to take over a local union. OK, you gave one example. Surprised you can't think of anymore examples of corruption.
It's easy.

1. Purposely failing in the duty of fair representation. Which is a violation of the Collective Agreement.

2. Unfair Labour Practice - Oppressing union members by violating their own union Constitution and Bylaws. Take disciplinary action against or impose any form of penalty on a person by applying to the person in a discriminatory manner the standards of discipline of the trade union. Example would be refusing to process a grievance, preventing the right of union members from participating in the grievance process that is supposed to given, purposely misrepresenting their grievance to ensure failure. Unfair union trial boards to unfairly discipline union members.

3. Corrupting the democratic process of union meetings with chairpersons' purposely violating the rights of members and telling them that they can take it up with the national/international union if they have a problem with it.

These are a few examples.

Quote:
2) In the Union Collective Agreement there HAS to be a "disclosure clause" and if there isn't one, you're basically throws a wrench into any legitimate process to unfold: progressive discipline (which is IMPLIED in most common law) and would limit problem solving on a local level, by the first line, VOLUNTEERS.
I Googled Railroad Union (CBRT) and that no longer exists.
You should have said "Canadian Brotherhood of Railway, Transport and General Workers" but they merged with CAW on June 1, 1994 and are now UNIFOR.
Regardless, I could not find any mention of a disclosure clause in the UNIFOR 4000 Collective Agreement No. 5.4:
https://www.unifor4000.com/uploads/2..._2015-2018.pdf

If you are so certain that some unions HAVE a "disclosure clause" in their collective agreements, could you provide a link to any collective agreement that has such a clause please?
I have never heard of that.
Are you sure you didn't mean having a disclosure clause in the unions' constitution and/or bylaws?
Because if it was supposed to be in a collective agreement and it would throw a wrench into any legitimate process to unfold, I think the employer would have a problem with that.
Plus, you mentioned 'progressive discipline'.
Are you referring to the unions' internal disciplinary procedure for union members or the employers for employees?
Clarity is important.

Quote:
Find out where and how much education your full time paid Union people actually have. Edmonton is a blue collar town. If they're from some goat farm in northern Sask. you have a problem I dealt with that with the Railroad Union (CBRT) and it's "logistics" arm. These guys wouldn't know the difference between a superiority complex making an unsubstantiated complaint and Svend Robinsons' boyfriends THONG. They DO UNDERSTAND theft, drug use, a physical fight in the workplace, but don't give them an INTANGIBLE issue. They don't know what to do with it, so they BAIL. I saw this recently for a guy fired from a pulp mill in BC over ONE vague complaint. He's hooped, but doesn't know it yet.
What would be the point of finding out where and how much education your full time paid Union people actually have?
The Alberta Federation of Labour offers Labour School in Jasper, Alberta every year in January.
The full time paid Union people have ample opportunity to be educated but when they are corrupt, they don't morally use that education to assist the members.
So that avenue was looked into a long time ago.

Please post a link where any union has a "disclosure clause".
That's the only way anyone could understand what you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton