Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 11:23 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You were lucky to find a doctor willing to go with Armour. Most just want to give you Levothyroid or Synthroid and call it a day. I did better on Armour than Synthroid, but I do even better still with separate pills for T4 and T3. I take Levothyroxine (generic T4) and liothyronine (T3). Using separate pills, rather than just Armour (which contains T4 and T3 combined in one set ratio), my doctor and I can adjust the T3 amount up or down to get it balanced with the way my body converts T4 to T3. My numbers are great, and my symptoms are very few. I try to keep my TSH as close to zero as I can, although my doc is sort of non-committal about her feelings on that issue. I don't think she's happy with it, but I am. She knows I've had it (Hashimoto's) for so long I know almost as much as she does about it. Sometimes with Armour, or other brands of natural thyroid like Naturthroid, I found I would get hair loss even though my numbers looked good, so I know it's not in the right T4:T3 ratio for my body. Internet forums rave that you must get on Armour, but it's not the perfect ratio for everyone.

Remember, if you are female and over about 50, your temperature problems are as likely to be menopausal in origin as they are to be thyroid.
Armour or Syntroid - same for me. My nails and hair are okay now and I am not sleeping all day anymore.

However, I am still constantly napping, cold, shivering, sweating, tired, forget everything, brain fog. I have that since 20 years now, it is not menopausal.

This poem just says it all

https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk...teresting-poem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 11:24 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The bolded describes me too! Makes you think!
Get tested. Have ALL your levels tested - the devil may be in the details. Also, does anyone else in your family have thyroid issues?

Old 11-09-2023, 11:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Google Mary Shomon.

I used to belong to a different message board for Thyroid issues and many of the posters there often referenced this lady for information.

Treatment for thyroid issues is more or less standard care, but there are weird little idiosyncrasies that can come up.

Understand your blood work and learn what works best for you.

My hypothyroid was diagnosed when I was being checked for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. My numbers are normal now with levothyroxine, but I feel much better when they are on the lower range of normal. When I'm off my meds...ugh...I feel like crap.

You may not even notice symptoms now because you are used to feeling the way you do. After you are more regulated, you may realize how many symptoms you actually had.

Old 11-09-2023, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 8,353 times
I redid my test and now the TSH is at 21 (the first one done about 10 days ago was at 29)
T4 levels are the same at .6. I fasted for the first, did not for the second. I also stopped biotin for 48 hours before second, did not do so for first. Not clear if this much variation is just over a week is normal

Old 11-10-2023, 02:41 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,228 times
Just take the medicine and retest after several weeks.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:16 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Get tested. Have ALL your levels tested - the devil may be in the details. Also, does anyone else in your family have thyroid issues?

I have at least one cousin who has it.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:19 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Thyroid meds take about six weeks to "titrate down". i.e., make a change today, and it won't show up for a month and a half.

So if it appears to have come down a bit, wait six weeks and test again.

I get my retest on Monday, hope it's down, and I don't have to do anything.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:24 AM

13 posts, read 8,353 times
Hi, I haven’t started on the medication yet. That’s why it is puzzling to me how it came down by so much without me doing anything about it

Old 11-10-2023, 07:59 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonesomewhere29 View Post
Hi, I haven’t started on the medication yet. That’s why it is puzzling to me how it came down by so much without me doing anything about it
What did you do to make it go up?

Probably nothing, it was reacting to something (in my case, I had a bad infection that we assume caused the rise), and now that has gone, it's coming back down.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:40 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
Biotin, prescription medications, supplements, diet, pregnancy, fasting or not fasting can all effect the results. Take your medication at the same time every day and stay consistent with testing with same lab and fasting or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss