Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 03:03 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

I've had relatives seeing me eat something like Popeye's chicken or some pizza and half jokingly tell me that stuff can kill me. I just tell them if it does, I'll die with a full stomach and a smile on my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 03:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
I dunno. I am trying to lose the weight I put on in Ontario over the past two years eating too much fast food. I was FORCED to eat it! LOL. J/K. No, actually, the sad situation (caregiving and death) I was in meant that I ate too much fast food and too many orders from Skip. Now I'm undoing that damage.

I'm winding down a last visit in Ontario and have been eating lots of salads and fresh vegetables and fruit from Ontario farms. Good (not fried) fish, too. But before I go back to NJ, you can bet your ass I'm getting a burger from Harvey's. Best fast food ever, no other chain can compare, and we don't have them in the States.

And the very best veggie burger in the world comes from a Canadian meatfest of a restaurant called Montana's. Weird but true.

I agree with your post. Mind your own business and don't comment on other people's food choices.

Old 08-30-2023, 04:06 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Just needed to ask, why does this bother you?
I don't recall saying it bothered me...you asked for thoughts and the only thoughts
other than your own that really matter are those of your healthcare provider....wouldn't you agree ?

Old 08-30-2023, 04:35 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
it's the stuff clinging to your arteries that you can't see that will get you from eating fast food. people only tend to learn this when they get older. my uncle learned it the hard way and dropped dead at 55 - wasn't heavy and exercised but his heart gave out while dancing at his sons graduation party...

Old 08-30-2023, 04:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
..You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
Well, you can't eat anything as part of a balanced, healthy diet.

Many fast foods are demonized by nutritionists, so naturally some of your John Q. Public's will be inclined to parrot their warnings.

If you're confident in your health and diet, no need to be defensive about eating fast food once in awhile.

Of course it's wrong for others to give you grief about your food choices. Unless it's mom, naturally.

Next time someone does, perhaps you can challenge them to compare how much fat they've got around their waist compared to yours. That might silence them.

Old 08-30-2023, 04:53 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
I eat fast food occasionally but what I recently read about the oil used bothered me. All the food is fried in the same oil whether it's fish, chicken, etc. I never reuse oil at home and I cook with expensive olive oil . Why should I eat fried chicken that was cooked in the same oil as fish? Sounds disgusting.

Old 08-30-2023, 04:55 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
If you're specifically talking about weight, you can get fat on home cooked meals too. If you're talking about general health, eating junk food will probably catch up with you someday. Fast food is okay every once in a while but not on a regular basis. You get preservatives that aren't good for you, artificial coloring, tend to get a lot of fried foods and saturated fat...ask anyone who knows about nutrition if junk/fast food is good for you.

I'm no expert but I know you need to eat a well balanced diet of decent food. None of us are perfect but a lot of people do try to eat right--some do better than others. I could do a lot better, especially with eating more greens, but there isn't always time, or I am too tired to cook, or lots of other reasons for not eating right.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:03 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
People comment on it because it isn't food. You are literally digesting processed meat, bread, and cheese.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Are you 19 years of age? Because that metabolism goes away as you age. It did for me starting earlier than I expected, or maybe I just ate too much junk food. Do you drink the soda too or skip it?

Old 08-30-2023, 05:51 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Personally I do not care much about what people eat unless they sit at my table.
The moderation is the problem with a lot of folks. 4-5 times a week? I enjoy cooking and SO does not object to what I am cooking. Often at a lot less than fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss