Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 07:24 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times

Advertisements

I'm having to watch my blood sugar so I gave up sugar years ago and started using Sweet & Low as a coffee and tea sweetener. Now I'm hearing that Sweet & Low may not be as healthy an alternative as I first thought, with regard to blood sugar levels. Anyone with any pro/con thoughts on S&L?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 06:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm having to watch my blood sugar so I gave up sugar years ago and started using Sweet & Low as a coffee and tea sweetener. Now I'm hearing that Sweet & Low may not be as healthy an alternative as I first thought, with regard to blood sugar levels. Anyone with any pro/con thoughts on S&L?
You're just hearing this now? Back in the 1970's (50 years ago), regulations required labelling because of a link between saccharine and bladder cancer in rats. But in 2000, the regulations were dropped, because it was proven that the link was exclusively for rats, and didn't affect humans at all.

Meanwhile, brushing your teeth with toothpaste containing saccharine can cause rashes and other signs of irritation to the mouth.

In addition, saccharine is a substitute for sugar. That means - you get the sweet taste, but not the sugar. So if you have a craving for sugar, the food with saccharine won't relieve it. In fact, it'll just make you continue to crave it, causing you to eat more of the food with the saccharine in it, which will ultimately make you gain weight.

Your best bet is to stop trying to substitute one sweetener for another. Instead, eat fresh fruits with a low glycemic value (watermelon is a good example) every day. You'll satisfy your sweet tooth, without spiking your blood sugar.

If you want a cup of coffee, have A cup of coffee. Put ONE teaspoon of real actual sugar in it. Take your time drinking it. You'll get your sweet, your caffeine, your senses and "need for a morning ritual" will be satisfied, and you won't spike your blood sugar.

Don't eat desserts. Don't eat ice cream. Don't substitute for diet ice cream, or sugar-free or artificially or "naturally derived" sweeteners or foods containing them.

Eat "real" food. In fact if you should suddenly crave pancakes - use real maple syrup. But don't drown the pancakes in it. Just a couple of tablespoons drizzled over the top of the stack will get you all the flavor you need.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:53 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Sweet and Low always tasted nasty to me, very noticeable fake sweetener taste. None of the artificial sweeteners are likely good for you long term, but then neither is sugar so pick your poison. I recently tried Stevia but wasn't impressed and it wreaked havoc with my intestinal tract so I have a full box of those collecting dust. Anything with sugar alcohol is a huge no for me.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:32 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yes, and Erythritol is the worst, especially for IC sufferers. It causes severe flareup.

I used Sweet N Low for decades, at the office. I have no idea how I did that. Haven't done that for at least 20 years. Recently I bought some to try and reduce sugar intake. The taste is horrible and I poured the coffee down the drain. That box is now collecting dust as well.

I have a friend who made a killer cup of coffee for me recently and she sweetened it with something other than sugar. I just ask her about that.

Coconut creamer.... poured it out after one cup of coffee I did not drink. I don't know how people stand it.

Dr. Gundry has a whole video about how various "healthier" sweetened creamers spike the blood sugar. It's worth a watch. I think this is it:

https://youtu.be/qcF8V404scU

Old 07-26-2023, 03:06 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
This video describes the effects different sweeteners have on your body.
It was made before the recent erythritol scare.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnGmK...=5&pp=gAQBiAQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I recently tried Stevia but wasn't impressed and it wreaked havoc with my intestinal tract so I have a full box of those collecting dust. Anything with sugar alcohol is a huge no for me.
Stevia isn't a sugar alcohol, but is often mixed with erythritol to add cheap bulk. Check the label.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:24 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Thanks, steiconi, that's the one I meant. Don't know why I confused them. Must have watched on the same day.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
This video describes the effects different sweeteners have on your body.
It was made before the recent erythritol scare.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnGmK...=5&pp=gAQBiAQB

Stevia isn't a sugar alcohol, but is often mixed with erythritol to add cheap bulk. Check the label.
Thanks for clarifying, I went back to find the box and it's gone, guess the wife tossed it, lol. It was whatever fake sweetener Costco or Sams is selling these days. And yes, I'm pretty sure it contained erythritol. I'm back to just using nothing or very little sugar.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:58 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Stevia for me, the problem with most people who have cramps with stevia because of poor gut health. So many people eat bad stuff and drink alcohol that kills their digestive system.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:00 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
All of the stevia and monkfruit sweeteners are blends bulked with erithrytol because they are hundreds of times sweeter than sugar and it would be impractical to use them in pure form. Another low-glycemic sweetener is pentose, a sugar extracted from the kabocha gourd and sold under the brand name Bochasweet. It’s available in powdered and granulated form.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:09 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We've used Splenda for several years. My doctor (GP) and all my wife's doctors say Splenda is fine to use.

After her gastric sleeve surgery, my wife's gastric dietitician said not to use creamers in her coffee, because there's too much sugar in them. Told her to use milk instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss