Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 11:56 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Whatever whole grains you were eating apparently weren't very high in the satiety index then.

And again NOT EVERYBODY reacts to same foods in same way. As I have stated before this was WHOLE GRAIN cooked in pressure cooker or ground into flour/meal for bread. Dont know whats so hard to understand about that, except it doesnt agree with your theory that only processed carbs can be bad. Short of adding a bale of hay to my food the extra fiber just didnt signal my brain, hey stupid, you are full, stop eating. I would eat until I had to open belt couple notches. And its not all one thing, also was dealing with undiagnosed Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which for 20% of us that get it doesnt give the spots or the fever, undiagnosed and untreated, it is gradually debilitating disease much like Lyme. You wouldnt believe the hoops I had to jump through to finally get the tick panel test done. Had tested for everything else and I was convinced I probably had Lyme. Nope, RMSF, but same difference. Its a tick spread bacterial disease (like Lyme), but I am still on record with my state as having communicable disease, just weird way they define it. Anyway my physical activity went way down as the disease progressed over several years. High carb diet plus limited physical activity equals diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 12:27 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think we are all on a continuum. Some of us can have more carbs, some do better with fewer carbs, etc. The problem is trying to figure out what works for you.

I suspect our weight, and out health, is based on a combination of calories and hormones and genetics...you get the idea.

I think sugar is addictive. I have sat through so many weight loss meetings/coaching sessions and whenever they mention getting rid of sugary treats, no one wants to hear it. People insist they can have their sugar and their health, too. Is that coming from a person trying to be healthy? Or an addict afraid of losing their fix?

I also think that there is something particularly nefarious when fat is combined with sugar. I do not know anyone who would eat a spoonful of sugar, one after the other, but add some cream cheese and now you have some finger-licking, bowl-scraping frosting. Nor do I know anyone who would eat sticks of butter, but if you put the butter on some bread? Yum.
Sugar itself isn’t addictive. When combined with ultra processed fats and carbs is when those foods become hyper palatable, that is why those sugary treats are so tasty. Think about it, every delicious food you crave is loaded with ultra processed fats and carbs. No one sits around and gorges themselves in a bowl of table sugar alone.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 11-20-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And again NOT EVERYBODY reacts to same foods in same way. As I have stated before this was WHOLE GRAIN cooked in pressure cooker or ground into flour/meal for bread. Dont know whats so hard to understand about that, except it doesnt agree with your theory that only processed carbs can be bad. Short of adding a bale of hay to my food the extra fiber just didnt signal my brain, hey stupid, you are full, stop eating. I would eat until I had to open belt couple notches. And its not all one thing, also was dealing with undiagnosed Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which for 20% of us that get it doesnt give the spots or the fever, undiagnosed and untreated, it is gradually debilitating disease much like Lyme. You wouldnt believe the hoops I had to jump through to finally get the tick panel test done. Had tested for everything else and I was convinced I probably had Lyme. Nope, RMSF, but same difference. Its a tick spread bacterial disease (like Lyme), but I am still on record with my state as having communicable disease, just weird way they define it. Anyway my physical activity went way down as the disease progressed over several years. High carb diet plus limited physical activity equals diabetes.
Again, I don’t know what whole grains you were eating or what you were eating with them but not all whole grains will be the same at being filling.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:39 PM

712 posts, read 554,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I think a big problem here is that Keto can be hard to follow indefinitely..it's a great tool for initial weight loss but it's hard to sustain that way of eating forever. I do great on a lower carb diet but others i know don't need to do that. I don't' eat keto or anything but I also don't typically go over 60-70 grams of carbs a day.
I've eaten a low carb/keto diet for 16 1/2 years. I am very healthy and I have had zero problems staying with this way of eating. I am a 61-year-old woman.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I've eaten a low carb/keto diet for 16 1/2 years. I am very healthy and I have had zero problems staying with this way of eating. I am a 61-year-old woman.
Good for you. You found a way to eat that works for you.
You are an exception and not the rule however.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:39 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Again, I don’t know what whole grains you were eating or what you were eating with them but not all whole grains will be the same at being filling.

Again I was eating whole wheat, whole oats, whole brown rice, whole millet, whole corn meal, whole buckwheat, whole barley, whole rye flour, and probably few of the less known ones. Also a variety of whole beans.

My question back at you, which grain NOT MENTIONED is supposed to magically fill me??????? Teff? Eickorn? Sorghum? Lucky Charms cause they are magically delicious????? What magic grains do you claim these amazing filling properties?

Old 12-11-2020, 09:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Again I was eating whole wheat, whole oats, whole brown rice, whole millet, whole corn meal, whole buckwheat, whole barley, whole rye flour, and probably few of the less known ones. Also a variety of whole beans.

My question back at you, which grain NOT MENTIONED is supposed to magically fill me??????? Teff? Eickorn? Sorghum? Lucky Charms cause they are magically delicious????? What magic grains do you claim these amazing filling properties?
Faro and quinoa fill me, among others. But if grains don't sit well with you don't eat them. We are not all the same when it comes to what foods work for us.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:

It's difficult to say because we don't know how much of what you were eating and how much fiber and protein intake you were getting with the above foods.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:34 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My husband is on this 7 days now his BS levels are at their lowest. Example today his BS was 105. He is type 2 diabetic.
He eats meat, fish, green veggies, salads with grilled chicken O/V dressing and cheese. Drinks 1 cup coffee black in the am and a cup of green tea at night. He eats one small orange a day as well. He cannot eat the other fruits recommended like strawberries because he can't have the seeds. I am very proud of his will power to stick with this. He needs to loose at least 100 lbs. I can already see a difference in his face that he has lost some weight. Not all diets work the same for everyone. I also don't believe in all the BS that doctors proclaim about what diet is good or bad. I plan to try this after new years as I am not in the mindset yet. I need to loose at least 50 lbs.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:44 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
I think keto is too extreme. I don't see how it can be healthy in the long run, though it does work and won't kill you for short term weight loss. I looked at keto and paleo and other newfangled diets and decided "I'm just going to cut way back on excess carbs" but not get all crazy about it. I wanted something I could maintain long enough to lose at least 10 pounds, and to reduce my portion sizes before i start adding back in carbs.

I ate a lot of unnecessary carbs. Oatmeal (not a bad carb) every day, bread for lunch every day (often 2 sandwiches because grains don't fill me), fruit or sweetened yogurt in the afternoon, pasta and other high carb foods numerous nights per week (and lots of them, because they don't fill me), cereal or bagels (often both, because they don't fill me) as a late night snack.

I cut out all of that except I will have one fruit and or some berries. I also have veggies with my eggs and sausage or bacon, I switched to plain greek yogurt, no pasta dinners, and no cereal. I'll still have a bagel in the evening, often with butter, and if I'm still hungry a little cheese. Eating a lot more vegetables at every meal to fill me, lots of nuts, and a lot more meat than I really want to.

I still had some keto symptoms at first, headaches and the most awful full-leg muscle spasm I've ever had that hurt for days afterward. I'm not measuring but I'm sure I'm in the 100 grams a day range for carbs, but thats a lot less than before.

I don't want to eat this way forever but its working. I've lost at least 5 lbs in 21 days and can feel my stomach muscles again lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss