Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times

Advertisements

Congrats on improving your health.

Someone mentioned that it's a lifelong commitment, and that is true....my friend had it done several years ago, and now her weight is right back where she started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 04:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Congrats BB and good luck! Hope it works for you.

I lost 75 pounds many years ago on Nutri System, gained it all back. I lost 50 on Weight Watchers, gained it all back. It's an awful cycle.

Right now I'm controlling what I eat and I joined the Y, I go about 5 days a week, I walk 2.5-3 miles, do some weights for my flabby arms and then bicycle for about 20 minutes. I do like it and can tell I am toning up a bit. Do you have an exercise program? When can you start?

Old 08-18-2020, 06:30 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

I lost 75 pounds many years ago on Nutri System, gained it all back. I lost 50 on Weight Watchers, gained it all back. It's an awful cycle.

Right now I'm controlling what I eat and I joined the Y, I go about 5 days a week, I walk 2.5-3 miles, do some weights for my flabby arms and then bicycle for about 20 minutes. I do like it and can tell I am toning up a bit. Do you have an exercise program? When can you start?
Thanks. We shall see how this goes, they call it a "tool" vs. "Magic 8-Ball" for good reason, VSG that is. If there was Magic 8-Ball, they'd be lined up down the block and in five years everyone in town would be normal weight.

My good friend calls is a "Forcing Function." I like that. It's difficult to over-eat at the moment, the stomach ...what's left of the poor thing...simply won't take it. Old habits can go to hell, I'm dead in the water. Hard not to lose maybe a hundred pounds that way. That would about do it in my case. More = better. Results seem to vary. Ah, then comes the trick: setting up a diet and exercise system to keep it on even-keel.

Got tired of that Yo-yo, as I said, too bad didn't work for you either. It does for some. I'm tired of casting stones at systems. This may be another, though more-extreme for sure. I'll stick close to my ND, we've gone through quack medications twice now which didn't work. Her system, absent the meds, is not quackery however.

To the question: I'm going to retain a trainer in six months or so. No heavy exercise for awhile, either. I'm well versed in cardio that works, but one should probably consider if cardio is the best idea for weight loss in this case. Another subject.

Edit/PS:

From a veteran, one of the support groups I belong to on FB:

#6, there will come a time when you will get sick n tired of the discipline and want to eat what you used to. You will gain and you will rededicate to your journey and will use your tool.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 08-18-2020 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 08:56 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Food is probably one of the most addictive pleasures in all of the Megagigaverses.

Sounds like you made a smart move that you really needed to make.

The VSG sound like a great tool for improving health, and less disruptive when compared to a full gastric-bypass. Just be careful, the surgery can be "undone" if you eat too much, stretching the stomach out to pre-surgery size.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Food is probably one of the most addictive pleasures in all of the Megagigaverses.

The VSG sound like a great tool for improving health, and less disruptive when compared to a full gastric-bypass. Just be careful, the surgery can be "undone" if you eat too much, stretching the stomach out to pre-surgery size.
Needed that forcing function? Unfortunately, it seems I did. Every journey is different.

You're right it can be undone. That word "discipline" is anathema to most of (us) larger people, so "I think" what I'm going to do is this: with luck and perseverance, lose quite a bit next c. year. See if I can't find a system of tasty and proportional meals, maybe(?) from external parties that deliver. I can afford it, and despise cooking. Variety is key. If it's tasty, and filling, I'll probably like it. Would like to move away from "discipline" to "fulfilled, while not obsessing / guilty / other negativity." If you know what I mean...TBD.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:10 PM

986 posts, read 1,665,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

I had VSG also back in 2015 for this very reason. I've been overweight most of my adult life and got tired of this cycle - South Beach, Weight Watchers, you name it - I'd lose the weight then regain it over time. I read somewhere that each time you lose and regain it's harder to lose again.

OP - how long has it been since you had your surgery? Best of luck to you

Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm well versed in cardio that works, but one should probably consider if cardio is the best idea for weight loss in this case. Another subject.
It's how I keep it off.
Another plus... I'm the only guy in almost all of my classes, so I have a lot of "girlfriends".

Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I had VSG also back in 2015 for this very reason. I've been overweight most of my adult life and got tired of this cycle - South Beach, Weight Watchers, you name it - I'd lose the weight then regain it over time. I read somewhere that each time you lose and regain it's harder to lose again.

OP - how long has it been since you had your surgery? Best of luck to you
As I write this, Day 10. "Every experience is different": mine is a piece of cake so far, weirdly so since the day they hauled me out of post-op. They had me on great drugs for nausea, pain, reflux, blood thinners, and who knows what else. All worked. Ran out a course of post-op, take-home pills and shots, too.

I wouldn't doubt it's harder each time to lose weight, if for no other reason than it's increasingly discouraging. I'm guilty of it, no doubt about it.

Looking forward to semi-solid food in about four days

Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Bariatric surgery is a last resort. It's only after one has failed time and time again to lose weight on different diets. I'd also be going to a "fat doctor" and going thru his protocol prior to considering any surgery. Just about every person needing bariatric surgery will have sleep apnea.

But CPAP is a different issue, as skinny people can also have the problem. Just about every man 200 lbs. and more, or with a size 17 inch or larger shirt size or a man that snores will have sleep apnea. Those with apnea will often be irritable, and it affects their relationships with others. They've also been known to fall asleep at traffic lights and cause wrecks mid afternoon because they're not at 100% mentally. And the worse thing is that they have a very high incidence of heart disease requiring open heart surgery. And untreated sleep apnea can cause people to die much younger due to a lack of oxygen many hours daily. And sleep apnea needs to be addressed by a good pulmonologist specializing in sleep disorders.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

These surgeries all look great on paper and they work tremendously for a few years. VSG lasts for 2-5 yrs for 35% of patients who have it then they either lose no more weight or, more likely, they get horrible GERD and need to be revised to RNY bypass. Peeps who begin with the RNY do well for about the same amount of time, 2-5 yrs then, because they have not had any thorough therapy of any length of time (all Bariatric Surgery programs mandate some Psych eval but not much for finding out why you eat). They end up being revised to Duodenal Switch Bypass which is severe in the malnutrition areas. The younger age these surgeries are done the more profound the malnutrition ends up and more than 50% of men or women who have these surgeries end up with early-onset Osteoporosis, which is no fun and there is not very good treatment for at this time.
Yes, having these surgeries reverses Type 2 Diabetes and HTN, but not forever. Yes, peeps lose an enormous amount of weight with any of them. Bariatric Surgeons now allow their patients to choose which surgery they want to have and to have the surgeries prior to being done having children. WHY? because if YOU choose the surgery and something goes horribly wrong, that is YOUR fault. Even worse if you travel to Mexico or Turkey to have the surgery and return home and have complications. Some of those do not happen right away. NO surgeon wants to 'inherit' someone else's surgical catastrophe, AND when something BAD happens and you get rushed to the ER in extreme pain, they do not call in a Bariatric Surgeon to see you. They call the next General Surgery guy on call for the ER and you might end up 100 x worse depending on where that guy/gal got their training. There are many Facebook groups that are strictly about gastric bypass surgery complications that have happened with the VSG, RNY and DS. You cannot make a Surgeon take you if you have surgery in another country and things are screwed up. And people do die from these surgeries, not frequently but they do. How do I know all of this? I'm a 28 year survivor of weightloss surgeries. I was lucky and had to go to VA for my surgery back in 1998 because my first surgery was a stapling that had complications from the day I went home from the hospital and NOBODY back then (1992) did any VSG, RNY or DS in my STATE. I had a fine bariatric surgeon in VA and 2 yrs of therapy after the RNY so I kept my 212 lost pounds off x 25 yrs. Three years ago I was in an accident that broke my back and that is when I found out my early onset Osteoporosis existed as severe Osteoporosis and that I need a 10-level spinal fusion. Over the 3 yrs, not being about to walk 10,000 steps a day that I have done x 25 yrs, they weight is beginning to slowiy return as is GERD that I never had before. So now, I get to be the guinea pig for Apollo Overstitch Endosurgery. Oh JOY! So be careful of these surgeries. They do DO a lot of good, for a while, but then pretty much they all need revision...even 28 yrs later. I am lucky in that I was 41 when I started my weightloss surgery journey. These younger peeps are gonna have more issues than they bargained for much earlier. Remember this...surgons love to cut. It is what they are trained to do and many are very good at it, but bottom line is they get paid for each revision or complication regardless of ourcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss