Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 04:21 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw the endocrinologist today, and he did not see my FSB as a need to declare me diabetic. He said it matches the A1C of 6.1, and that the A1C is favored as a decision-maker, since the FSB is just a one-day snapshot.

My cholesterol has been high, in the 240s (like out of the blue a couple of years ago after a lifetime of total cholesterol of 180 or so), so last time I saw him, which was after a two-year absence from the US and it was still high, he put me on a statin.

I got the usual side effects of foot cramps, muscle aches, etc., and I stopped taking them and told him so.

He said something interesting. Most pre-diabetic people will never develop diabetes, but their higher blood sugar often plays a part in heart disease, and pre-diabetics die of sudden heart attacks more than people with lower blood sugar.

He also said that in addition to the lowering of cholesterol, the statins protect the heart in other ways, and because both my parents and most of my older relatives did die of heart disease and my blood sugar is elevated to the prediabetic stage, he recommended that I continue to take the statin, but first take COQ10 and Vitamin D for a month before restarting.

He was also happy with the 14-pound weight loss, even though I was frustrated at the slowness of weight loss over six months, but he said that's the way to do it. I'm not "dieting", just eating differently. Mediterranean-ish, more or less.

I don't want to start the arguments here against cholesterol meds because this is the Diabetes forum, but since in my case it tied together, I offered the information.

He did not see my thyroid issues as related to my blood sugar. When I asked about my numbers being at the bottom of the normal scale, he said that's where he wants to keep it, given that an enlarged and fibrous thyroid is what brought me there in the first place. Then he sent me off for an ultrasound to look at the nodules. I expect a biopsy will be next. He generally likes to biopsy the nodules every so often. I suppose he would be remiss if he didn't.
Sounds like you have a doctor who really listens to you. That is awesome.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Mightyqueen, I vaguely remember one or more of my doctors saying that hypothyroid would increase your total cholesterol - something about you don't process it as well I think - but they they show no concern - even the cardiologist. I can't say if this applies but you could search on it. (I always do well on the HDL and triglcerides anyway - but not the total). I think my total was ~ 200. I will be curious to see if it has improved since I am getting more exercise these days but I rather doubt it.
This is what my doctor has told me, too. She said if thyroid disease is the driver behind a high lipid count, there's no cause for concern. She also explained, that lipids are high in thyroid patients because the liver isn't getting enough support from the thyroid gland, so it cranks out extra LDL (mainly). I've been able to bring my LDL and total lipids down by gradually increasing the amount of thyroid support I get from my thyroid remedy; just tiny amounts at a time. My primary care clinic didn't even notice; they keep pushing statins on me. But my holistic doc noticed. She watches my various test results like a hawk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 04:30 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just got my lab results from yesterday. My fasting blood glucose level is 132, and I just don't understand why. My last test was 123, in April. THIS TIME I actually fasted 12 hours before the test, unlike the 8 or 9 of last time (They used to say don't eat after midnight, now they say "12 hours".)

If somebody says "sugary drinks", I'm going to throw something at you. I don't drink any soda or even juice. Lots of water, coffee, and some wine, but not every day, and only dry red wine anyway. I don't eat cake or cookies. I rarely eat bread, pasta, or rice. I am down to having pizza less than once a month, for Pete's sake, and I live in New Jersey, where you can't swing a cat without hitting a good pizza place.

I am not doing keto or anything crazy, just more protein, lots of vegetables, low dairy and low carbs. What the hell is going on????? To top it off, my a1c went up a tenth of a point from 6.0 to 6.1. Oh, and I've lost 15 pounds since I last saw him in April. My blood sugar should be LOWER, not higher.

Before I went to the lab, I went to Planet Fatness, where I did their thirty-minute circuit (ten machines with weights and step exercises in between). Could that in some way have raised my blood sugar? I would think the opposite.

Now I'm dreading my doc appointment tomorrow. I'm afraid that he's going to want me to go on meds for my blood sugar. I'm doing what I can to avoid going on meds, and it seems to be having the opposite effect.
To answer your question: YES. Weight lifting (even when fasting) in the early morning hours when cortisol is naturally at its peak can trigger a glucose spike. Pairing strength training (which stresses the body) within this cortisol window can stimulate the liver to release extra glucose to meet your exercise energy demands. The leftover not used during exercise showed up in your blood tests.

You can ask the doc to submit a second set of lab orders so you can do your new blood draw fasted and RESTED, or if you can't ask the doc, there are places like Ulta Lab Tests where regular people can get labs done without orders. I can get a simple fasting Glucose Plasma test or an HgbA1C including draw fee for under $30.

Old 10-16-2023, 05:34 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
I might be a little bit late to the party, but I want to mention that you may be starting to develop the much rarer "Type 1" diabetes.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease that attacks the pancreas. It's rare for adults to develop it. When most doctors discover diabetes in adults they usually assume it's type 2, which usually presents itself with the same symptoms. The difference is that Type 1 can not be fixed with diet or exercise or metformin. Many adults with Type 1 diabetes are misdiagnosed.

If your blood sugars don't seem to be responding to your attempts to lower them through diet or exercise, there could be a good chance that this might be what's going on. Especially with your history of already having an autoimmune disease.

It might be a good idea to ask your doctor to run the antibody test for it. If you do have Type 1 diabetes, the earlier you start treatment, the longer you can prolong the "honeymoon period", which is when your pancreas still has a little bit of function left to it. That is definitely worth doing.

Last edited by bfrabel; 10-16-2023 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 11:11 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
To answer your question: YES. Weight lifting (even when fasting) in the early morning hours when cortisol is naturally at its peak can trigger a glucose spike. Pairing strength training (which stresses the body) within this cortisol window can stimulate the liver to release extra glucose to meet your exercise energy demands. The leftover not used during exercise showed up in your blood tests.

You can ask the doc to submit a second set of lab orders so you can do your new blood draw fasted and RESTED, or if you can't ask the doc, there are places like Ulta Lab Tests where regular people can get labs done without orders. I can get a simple fasting Glucose Plasma test or an HgbA1C including draw fee for under $30.
Thanks for this info. He wrote me an order to do another glucose and cholesterol in three months.

Good to know about the Ulta Lab Test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes