Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Jonathan, I'm new here in Iowa. I'm relocating from Brazil with my wife, so everything is pretty much new for us.

One of the topics we are working on is the Driver's License so we can have a state-issued id (in Brazil this is a tough process and takes a looong time).

My question is about the Road Test in Des Moines. Do you guys have any tips for this road test? Are there any pre-defined streets we are going through? (considering my tests are at Des Moines DMV)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 05:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
IME in 8 other states, each individual road test examiner chose slightly different streets though I'm sure they need to include different types (low speed residential as well as busier roads) across a range of driving conditions. They want to test your ability to recognize signs, markings, and to react spontaneously to the road conditions they direct you into at the time. The skills test wouldn't be very meaningful if they publicized standard routes so you could memorize them in advance!

Old 03-17-2023, 11:11 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
I haven’t taken a driving test in 52 years, but the big “gotcha’s” back then were to be sure to stop behind a stop sign and stop line/crosswalk at a traffic light.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
When I learned to drive at 16, I had to go to a driving school as I knew no one who owned a car. The cost isn't outrageous... back then, it was $150, twice/wk for a few wks (don't recall how many)... it's probably double that now.

You may not need an entire driving course, which is generally filled with teens getting their licenses, but I suggest contacting a school for 1-2 private 1-hr lessons... bonus is that they have a car, so you don't need to rent.

I did that in San Diego when I bought an SUV 12-yrs ago. I'd only driven teeny tiny cars having lived in the inner city my entire life & needing a small car to more readily find on-street parking spaces, but with a giant "boat" of a vehicle, I wasn't comfortable backing out of parking spaces, in particular.

Lessons were $100/hr & I only needed 1. I had a very small parking space next to a cement beam underneath my bldg, which required backing up multiple times to pull out, so that's all I needed... someone to stand behind my car while I practiced pulling out without scraping the beam or other vehicles, then doing 3-point turns, returning to the spot & doing the same for an hour.

Also, you do get a slight discount on car insurance with a driver's education certificate. Perhaps others can chime in on that... it's been a long time since I got my driver's ed certificate.

Technically, you could choose anyone with a license to help you for $100, but, if it's someone who owns a school, they're teaching you the right way & haven't settled into poor driving habits. I think it's worth $100. Good luck.

Welcome to the US & IA.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
To the OP...

How is your search & relocation going? Hopefully, you'll arrive during spring/summer when it's beautiful here & lovely to be outdoors as much as possible.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines