Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 08:19 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times

Advertisements

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/07/12/jara...land-accident/

David is now awake after being in a coma. Last week, Shields said David was alert and able to make gestures with his head. But now he says there’s a bigger concern. “He can’t see right now,” Shields said. “I don’t know why his eyes are damaged. I don’t know if it’s because of the water or lack of oxygen or both, there is an eye doctor working on him. We’re praying for his brain to be fully healed and that there wouldn’t be long-term brain damage, which would be a miracle from God.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I don’t think the park owner’s political affiliations have anything to do with this situation.

From what I gather, the first people to render assistance to the Jaramillo family were fellow park guests. Not park employees, not trained emergency responders. The park employees were standing by as if they were totally unprepared for such an emergency (and in all honestly, they probably were).

This is just the beginning of one huge legal fiasco, and it doesn’t bode well for the Krantz family. We’re likely talking an eight figure settlement that could jeopardize the park’s existence.
Who brought up anything political? It's a tragedy this happened and likely a freak accident. That being said, I am surprised this ride has been there this long. It is pretty dated now.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Who brought up anything political? It's a tragedy this happened and likely a freak accident. That being said, I am surprised this ride has been there this long. It is pretty dated now.

There was a post about the family that owns Adventureland being significant donors to the GOP, but it looks like it's now either deleted or edited. It was a moot point and had no bearing on the situation.

Regardless, it's a massive failure for the park. It's a 40 year old ride now - parts eventually break down, and safety standards change. Witnesses said that employees were standing around instead of taking action, whether it involves rendering aid themselves, or at least paging the appropriate personnel who have the expertise to do so. It was other park customers who were helping the family first, so to me that signifies that the workers lacked the training to handle emergencies (and even then, common sense would suggest that if they lacked the training, that they find someone who IS trained to handled emergencies ASAP).

I would say that this disaster should serve as a wake-up call, but to be honest, how many wake-up calls are needed? Adventureland isn't the first amusement park to experience a ride-related fatality, and it may not be the last, but like malls, theme parks (except for the very largest) are dying a slow death and since Adventureland is not at all comparable to Disney World or even Six Flags, this may signify the beginning of the end for the park. There are rides even older than Raging Rapids that are still in operation (i.e. the Tornado, which IMHO remains the most iconic attraction to this day, mainly due to its combination of longevity and popularity).

Old 07-16-2021, 06:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,822 times
It was revealed that the raft was "repaired" just a couple hours before the accident, the air bladder evidently had a leak and was resealed/patched. This sounds like something that was avoidable, UNLESS someone in that 2 hour span punched a hole in the raft, as an act of vandalism, which could be possible. I wonder what type of leak it had, I'm sure they will examine it carefully and determine the cause. I see no reason why they could not update the raft design in some way to keep it safe, a 40 year run is pretty good as it was, but I'm sure they could come up with something that won't leak/can't sink. I'm sure most of the expense of operating this ride, is the water pump that keeps the river "raging" and all the care and upkeep involved in keeping the channel flowing so the rafts move at the desired speed.

I don't think this ride will be permanently closed.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It was revealed that the raft was "repaired" just a couple hours before the accident, the air bladder evidently had a leak and was resealed/patched. This sounds like something that was avoidable, UNLESS someone in that 2 hour span punched a hole in the raft, as an act of vandalism, which could be possible. I wonder what type of leak it had, I'm sure they will examine it carefully and determine the cause. I see no reason why they could not update the raft design in some way to keep it safe, a 40 year run is pretty good as it was, but I'm sure they could come up with something that won't leak/can't sink. I'm sure most of the expense of operating this ride, is the water pump that keeps the river "raging" and all the care and upkeep involved in keeping the channel flowing so the rafts move at the desired speed.

I don't think this ride will be permanently closed.

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/07/16/stat...fore-accident/

“The Des Moines Register reports the crews removed several rafts from the ride because of deflated bladders.
The Jaramillo’s raft was fixed and back in service about an hour and 45-minutes before the accident. Investigators say the raft, “immediately began taking on water as the ride began.”

An attorney for Adventureland said air bladder problems or taking on water does not explain how the 17-hundred pound raft with a metal plate on the bottom capsized.”

Old 07-22-2021, 10:57 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Finding it hard to believe it tipped over without some horseplay by the occupants. Maybe they crowded together on one side of the raft or did something to make it tip over. This is the main water ride at the park now, since they closed the log ride several years back, and would hate to see the Raging River permanently closed. But they do need to find out what happened. Wondering if all the occupants were from the same family, if so, they might be reluctant to confess to any horseplay and try to blame it on the park, to maximize a lawsuit payout. Sad that a kid had to die at such a fun place, wondering if he knew how to swim?
I'm pretty sure all amusement park rides should be safe enough that someone jumping up and down or "horseplay" as you put it, wouldn't kill passengers on the ride. If you read the account from the father, they were all buckled in and that was what actually prevented him from saving his sons.

Tragic, all around, but let's not blame an 11 year old boy and his siblings for his death while seated and buckled into a ride.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:15 AM

Default David transfers to a rehabilitation facility

“Saturday will mark three weeks since a deadly accident on an Adventureland ride. David Jaramillo has been in the hospital since the accident on July 3 on the Raging River ride.

On Thursday, David learned his younger brother, 11-year-old Michael, did not survive. Ryan Best, the Jaramillo family’s lawyer, said David has been moved out of the ICU and is now in a recovery unit at Blank Children’s Hospital. “He’s working on sitting up in the bed,” Best said. “I looked at a photograph where he was brushing his teeth, or working on brushing his teeth. They have transferred him to a chair a couple times with help.”

Doctors told the Jaramillo family, David could leave the hospital as soon as next week, but he would have to go to a rehabilitation facility for the foreseeable future. It’s unclear if David will be able to walk without assistance ever again.”

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/07/23/teen...eave-hospital/

Old 09-09-2021, 03:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Maybe it's time to simply retire the ride. It's 40 years old at this point (just a few years younger than the park itself) and even with maintenance and upgrades, there is a world of difference between what was deemed safe in the 1980s and what's deemed safe these days. It's unfortunate that there's now multiple fatalities associated with the attraction, and even with clearly-written safety rules there's just no way to enforce them once the ride is underway. Far fewer people are going to be interested in this attraction going forward and it may not be worth re-opening even if all safety devices pass inspection. They're going to have to totally re-design it, or simply use the space for a waterless attraction.

Perhaps it's time to create a new waterpark in the Des Moines area since I don't think Adventureland is the place to go to fill the void left by White Water University.
Have you been to Adventure Bay? (the water park that is part of Adventureland) It's full of slides, pool with swim up bar, lazy river, huge wave pool, etc. It's way more than White Water University ever was.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:07 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Have you been to Adventure Bay? (the water park that is part of Adventureland) It's full of slides, pool with swim up bar, lazy river, huge wave pool, etc. It's way more than White Water University ever was.
Cascade Falls Water Park in Ankeny was decent too, kept my son entertained for most of the day when we visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines