Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 8,529 times

Advertisements

Hey,

My name is Jess and I'm probably going to be moving to Des Moines in a couple of years. I really wish I could come sooner lol, I live in St. Louis and I hate it. Lived in St. Louis my whole life and I'm sick of living near a murder capital. Now, I understand that not every city is perfect but, I've seen Des Moines and LOVED IT. Even for the short time I was there, I couldn't believe how much the city felt like "home".

So, I have to ask, since I will probably bring my husband to Des Moines in spring 2020. What does everyone suggest we should go to as far as sightseeing, dining, and just hanging around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 06:18 AM

135 posts, read 226,002 times
Jess,

I'm really surprised that I am the first to comment in 10 days, but I will try my best to help you out. My family and I just moved back to Iowa after being gone for 20 years while I served in the Air Force. I am originally from NW Iowa and my wife is from South Carolina. Even though my wife is from SC she absolutely loves it here!!! We live in Indianola which is only about 20-30 minutes south of Des Moines which makes it extremely convenient, my wife and I actually both work in Des Moines. We try to get out and see what is going on as much as we can. We both love craft beers so we have been visiting all the breweries that DM has to offer, which are a lot. As well, I just saw on the news last week that DM comes in 2nd place only to NYC in restaurants per capita, which speaks volumes to the amount of restaurants and experiences possible!!!!! Zombie Burger should definitely be on your list of places to go to!!!! We tend to stay towards the West DM area and Jordan Creek area since that is where my wife works and we are closer to it. It is a very very nice area.....shopping, restaurants, etc, everything you need. I know I am missing a lot, but I have attached a website which will definitely help you out in your adventures here in DM!!!! https://www.catchdesmoines.com/

Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM

555 posts, read 500,697 times
Before we officially moved here, I really enjoyed walking around downtown, near the river. We walked through the Robert Ray Asian Gardens, walked across the Women of Achievement bridge. Checked out the sculpture park and drive by Central Library. I was most reassured by how safe and clean downtown felt. I also liked driving around town and seeing the hills and trees -- I had been worried the metro would be flat and treeless.

Not sure what is most important to you, but you might want to make a short list of what you want most in a move and check out the features/areas of Des Moines that would most likely satisfy what's on that list.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM

164 posts, read 322,470 times
Don't do it! Visiting and living here are two different things. People aren't welcoming of transplants! I'm sure St. Louis is expensive, but for what you get here I think it's expensive!

Old 04-08-2020, 06:21 AM

236 posts, read 195,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
Don't do it! Visiting and living here are two different things. People aren't welcoming of transplants! I'm sure St. Louis is expensive, but for what you get here I think it's expensive!
can you explain what you mean in more detail please. thanks

Old 04-08-2020, 06:56 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
While I no longer live in DSM, that was not my experience at all in living there for nearly 30 years. Iowa and Des Moines are full of some of the nicest people in the U.S. I would not take that comment to heart, I don't think it's true at all.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:59 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
While I no longer live in DSM, that was not my experience at all in living there for nearly 30 years. Iowa and Des Moines are full of some of the nicest people in the U.S. I would not take that comment to heart, I don't think it's true at all.
I grew up in MN and have lived all over. Recently we have begun exploring places to move to and Des Moines is one of the top places that comes up for one reason first... Good Friendly people and again... I grew up in MN around all that MN Nice and I also lived in Dallas 3 times and people there are some of the nicest... Still, Iowa wins... I think no matter where you move, some people are not going to welcome you in but I find it hard to believe that Iowa people would not welcome you in. Good luck in your move....

Old 01-29-2022, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,659 times
Quote:
I've been here 3 years, having moved from Louisiana. I do not live IN Des Moines, I live up in Ames, but my friends live in DSM. Not only have they become our friends and been very welcoming from the start, I've never had a problem with anyone not being welcoming due to not being from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines