Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:38 PM

3,522 posts, read 2,516,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://www.dental-tribune.com/up/dt...rochure-LR.pdf

That's an example of what a company like Kuraray tells you. That seems to indicate that there is no lithium. But when I e-mailed them several times I got a rep to admit that it does have lithium. Here's the exchange. I first asked about their Ex-3 ceramic. The first response I got was " Kuraray Noritake does not share component materials, as this is considered proprietary information. We do not provide information other than what is on an SDS sheet. When the porcelain is fired, the material is homogeneous, and is not a collection of individual components."

I asked if I could at least know is their EX-3 contains any lithium and got this:

"we are unable to confirm this ingredient for you. You may want to consider CZR or Katana from Noritake, as these are more biocompatible."

I got this 4 days later:"After further research, it has been determined that there is lithium in the Katana material. We recommend that you search for an alternative material, based on your allergy."
So it sounds like you're either confusing people on purpose, or you are, yourself, very confused.

Lithium is an element. Your body contains lithium naturally - both your tissues and body liquids. Most vertebrates have lithium in their bodies. Lithium has been further broken down to be used as a drug to treat certain mental illnesses.

Lithium silicate is a glass ceramic material used to make dental crowns. It is made by mixing lithium oxide with silica (the same substance common beach sand is made out of).

Lithium oxide is a liquid.

So - you aren't allergic to lithium. If you were, you'd have what's known as an autoimmune disease, and be very, very sick right now, if alive at all.

You could have a sensitivity to the cement used to seat a lithium silicate crown, as this is actually a somewhat common phenomenon. In that case, a different cement would be needed.

No one is applying lithium oxide to your teeth. It isn't happening, and it won't end up in your bloodstream. It can't leach out of a lithium silicate crown, because that's not how synthesis works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 09:19 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,952,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So it sounds like you're either confusing people on purpose, or you are, yourself, very confused.

Lithium is an element. Your body contains lithium naturally - both your tissues and body liquids. Most vertebrates have lithium in their bodies. Lithium has been further broken down to be used as a drug to treat certain mental illnesses.

Lithium silicate is a glass ceramic material used to make dental crowns. It is made by mixing lithium oxide with silica (the same substance common beach sand is made out of).

Lithium oxide is a liquid.

So - you aren't allergic to lithium. If you were, you'd have what's known as an autoimmune disease, and be very, very sick right now, if alive at all.

You could have a sensitivity to the cement used to seat a lithium silicate crown, as this is actually a somewhat common phenomenon. In that case, a different cement would be needed.

No one is applying lithium oxide to your teeth. It isn't happening, and it won't end up in your bloodstream. It can't leach out of a lithium silicate crown, because that's not how synthesis works.
This is the most ignorant and ill informed post I have seen. It's like the things dental professionals will say. They consistently deny that people can have allergic reactions to ceramics. They come up with all kinds of ridiculous reasons too - like they're sintered! Anyone can look it up and see that lithium oxide is a solid white powder and it is very caustic. That should be proof enough that the poster has no idea what she is talking about.

https://haz-map.com/Agents/7849

I urge everyone to get the name of all the materials your dentist plans to put into your mouth and do NOT get any crown that contains lithium in any form - so far they have lithium disilicates and lithium silicates. But they also have ceramics that they claim are feldspathic because they have less than 1% lithium. Even 0.5% lithium was enough to burn my mouth.

If your dentist says it is biocompatable zircon he is not telling you everything. Zircon only means that the coping - that is the core - is make out or zirconium oxide. It does not tell you what is in the veneering ceramic. In my experience they put a ceramic containing lithium oxide in the ceramic over the coping. So you are most likely having an allergic reaction to the lithium ceramic in the veneering ceramic and not the zirconium oxide coping.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:11 PM

I was wrong about lithium oxide, I had checked results based on a search for lithium silicate vs. lithium oxide.

You're right that lithium oxide is a powder. However, it is not caustic unless it's mixed with water. THEN it's caustic.

But just like lye - once it's mixed with certain substances, it ceases to be caustic, and is no longer the original ingredient at all.

Lye is incredibly caustic. Until you use it to make soap. Soap is not caustic, and you're not rubbing lye into your skin when you use it, at all.

Meanwhile, your body contains lithium. Lithium is an element. It is also a metal. It's also alkali. It's also present in ocean water. Your body has approximately 24 parts per billion (+/- 7mg total) - with approximately 4 in your blood, and 1.3 in your bone. The rest is spread out through your tissues.

If you were truly allergic to lithium, your body would react to its own natural lithium content. That would be called an autoimmune disease, and you would be very sick.

Since you haven't mentioned any autoimmune disease or your body fighting against itself as an allergic reaction to the lithium your body has in it naturally - then the answer is obvious: you're not really allergic to lithium. But you might be allergic to some other material or ingredient, and the most likely culprit would be something in the cement. The reason that's the most likely culprit, is because there are various cements for dental crowns, and some people have allergies to some of them, that's a known thing.

I'm not a dental professional. I'm a retired cashier who actually reads. Yes I made a mistake about the lithium oxide. But that doesn't change the fact that you are not likely to be allergic to lithium - because your body already has around 7 milligrams of the stuff coursing through it, and you aren't posting about life-long rashes or a need for 24/7 antihistimines since birth.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Our results suggest that lithium disilicates are not biologically inert, and that many have a similar cytotoxicity dynamic regardless of small differences in composition or processing.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17675143/

I didn't say lithium allergy. It's allergy to lithium containing ceramics. I have talked to many people on medhelp who have had the same reaction. My allergist didn't have a test for oral allergies but he confirmed that such allergies are possible and he had patients who complained about reactions to dental ceramics.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle430 View Post
Thank you, Mascoma, for responding and your research on Yittirum . I think that you are right about the lithium as probably the main culprit, maybe it is in my zirconia bridge. I can relate to everything you are saying in regard to this toxic dental material, that we are exposed to.

I know you don't have much confidence in the Serum testing, but my test did come out highly sensitive to lithium. I very cautiously, last week let my dentist insert temporarily, an ips emax bridge on my lower right. I made him put it in with temporary cement. He told me that just a porcelain bridge will not be strong enough for my molars.
From your research is it possible to get a porcelain bridge for three teeth that will be strong enough? My dentist does not know if he can even get a lab to make it.

Were you able to solve your issues with your crowns?

Thanks, Rachelle
Bruxzir is good for molars. It is very strong and they don't put lithium oxide in the Bruxzir that goes on molars. It's made out of Zirconium oxide and yttrium oxide. I have 2 now and they don't bother me. You can also get cast gold molars that are very strong if you don't have metal allergies. They have palladium and some people are allergic to that. It is in the same metal group as Nickel which gives a lot of people reactions, so if you are allergic to nickel avoid the gold crowns. I don't think you can make gold crowns without Palladium. There is something metal called Argeloy N.P. Supreme that has no gold or nickel or palladium.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle430 View Post
I have experience with both of these in my mouth. I researched the compounds in my lps emax. I was amazed at all the compounds that are in it ,and how toxic they are to the human body. These compounds alone can cause respiratory issues, lung damage, liver damage, thyroid issues. There is lithium oxide in these crowns ,which some people on this site are convinced is this the ingredients that could be causing the most issues, such as dry mouth, burning mouth syndrome. These crowns are cytotoxic, not biologically inert. A scientific study has proved that. What I notice with these crowns is dry mouth, congestion problems at night. Little bit of an acid taste I also notice. I am having them removed. I made sure to have them put in temporarily.

I have a zirconia bridge that I am getting burning mouth syndrome when I lie down. I am not sleeping well because of it. However my husband and two of my close friends had zirconia crowns done. One had a whole mouth full with absolutely no issues. If you have no issue with zirconia, you are probably better off going with that.

Also ask the dentist for an identification certificate of what is in the crowns. Hope that helps.
The person you responded to, registered to post here in June, 2019. They posted exactly twice - both times in this thread, in June, 2019.

I'll take a guess that by now, 4.5 years later, they've already had their crown placed and probably no longer care what anyone thinks.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 24 times
I been having extreme dry mouth every since getting zirconia crowns, my mouth is so uncomfortable for the last year since I got these. I called the company regarding the Katana brand zirconia crowns, they said they think there is aluminum in the ingredients but they can not tell me the ingredients. The lab said they believe there are metal components in the zirconia crowns. I asked for metal free crowns because I have ES-electrosensitivity and can not have any metal.
I can not believe the dentist did not know there are metal components in these crowns.
I received an allergy test to be sure, and I took a bioresonance feedback test at my chiropractor, I brought samples of the crowns. The test said I am allergic to zirconia and I am fine with eMax.

I want to make sure eMax is okay before I get it redone. I was told that it has lithium disilicate which is similar to potassium and salt which are metals. I can not have metals but for some reason I was told that this is okay because even our bodies have these metals that are necessary.

I was told to change the cement from fluoride release to RelyX Unicem 2 which is what most holistic dentists use. I was told this cement is an allergy free cement more than the others.

It is more invasive to get teeth shaved down to 2mm in each direction instead of the 1mm.

Will see how it goes. Will the dryness go away with eMax is the question?

ANyone experience eMax causing dryness?

Old Today, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saychaz View Post
I been having extreme dry mouth every since getting zirconia crowns, my mouth is so uncomfortable for the last year since I got these. I called the company regarding the Katana brand zirconia crowns, they said they think there is aluminum in the ingredients but they can not tell me the ingredients. The lab said they believe there are metal components in the zirconia crowns. I asked for metal free crowns because I have ES-electrosensitivity and can not have any metal.
I can not believe the dentist did not know there are metal components in these crowns.
I received an allergy test to be sure, and I took a bioresonance feedback test at my chiropractor, I brought samples of the crowns. The test said I am allergic to zirconia and I am fine with eMax.

I want to make sure eMax is okay before I get it redone. I was told that it has lithium disilicate which is similar to potassium and salt which are metals. I can not have metals but for some reason I was told that this is okay because even our bodies have these metals that are necessary.

I was told to change the cement from fluoride release to RelyX Unicem 2 which is what most holistic dentists use. I was told this cement is an allergy free cement more than the others.

It is more invasive to get teeth shaved down to 2mm in each direction instead of the 1mm.

Will see how it goes. Will the dryness go away with eMax is the question?

ANyone experience eMax causing dryness?
Potassium and salt are not metals. You were told they are? By whom? Why aren't you just getting a ceramic crown? Not infused, not porcelain on metal, but - just ceramic. Lithium disilicate is a new technology for ceramic crowns, but it isn't appropriate for posterior teeth (back teeth). If you just need a crown on a front tooth, you can go with a plain old ceramic and save yourself a small fortune.

If you need a crown on a molar, you'll need something sturdier, and lithium disilicate ain't it. Metal, or toothless. Or just make sure to never chew on that side of your mouth, ever again and get whatever you want. Or, chew on that side with ceramic or lithium disilicate, and have it replaced every few years because they'll chip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health