Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenangosun View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to the Lewes area in Delaware. She read a post somewhere that there is an unpleasant odor associated with the chickens. As we lived in a town with a dogfood factory that gave off smells that we did not appreciate, we would like to know if the area smells of anything unpleasant.:
And only because I am stuck in my house and avoiding housework.... When I drive by a farm and smell farm smells, whether they are chickens, cows, pigs or someone spreading that liquid gold on a field, I don't fake vomit, I just note that it's a farm and think that it's stinky. I wouldn't want to live next to it but I wouldn't want to live next to a warehouse either, it's just one of the many things you look into when you are moving to a new area.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM

32,990 posts, read 36,513,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ok to the point of odors. Many people love the smell immediately after a spring/summer rain. Me, I hate it. Since I was a kid it smelled like worms. Now, that said, I never really smelled a worm as I was too afraid of them and despite dissecting them in school, til this day they creep me out. I love to plant flowers in the spring, but I see a worm and I jump back and grab a longer implement.

Edited to add: I spent my entire life approximately 25 miles from NY city in an area like where I am now, very suburban. We had property to maintain. a lawn to mow and gardens to tend. So it is not like I am a city girl, but, I have the utmost respect for people who grow things for me to eat.
I love worms. I used to have a big compost pile that was only hot for a couple of months in the summer. The worms and tiny creatures did most of the work. I remember when my husband told me that he was going to go to a store down the road and buy worms because he wanted to fish. I took him out to the compost pile.

I could never bring myself to put a hook through one.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:40 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I love worms. I used to have a big compost pile that was only hot for a couple of months in the summer. The worms and tiny creatures did most of the work. I remember when my husband told me that he was going to go to a store down the road and buy worms because he wanted to fish. I took him out to the compost pile.

I could never bring myself to put a hook through one.
They totally give me the creeps. But I am really creeped out by bugs in general too. Other than a lady bug and an ant. most give me the willies. Forget me and crickets or mice. Good God. True story, Right after the market crashed in 1987 we were really busy. A broker who had an office a few away from me, forgot about a box of Godiva chocolate that he was supposed to take home before the crash. Well he left it on the shelf and it became a mice restaurant. I was alone in the office very early a few days after the crash and by the time the next person came in I was standing on my desk, with the look of a person who just came out of the shower and was walked in on before they had their towel. The boss said, "Ok, please don't tell me, you are looking for something in the ceiling". I told him that a mouse had run across my feet and I was not coming down until they found him. He laughed and called the building exterminator.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:04 PM

829 posts, read 632,935 times
I'd have been traumatized too - bad enough seeing one, but have it running across your feet? NOOOOO.

We had mice in a building I worked in because some of the people that worked there stupidly left food out. Someone opened their drawer and found a mouse looking at them and I so didn't want that to happen to me, so I'd always rattle the drawer before opening to give it fair warning. Building maintenance eventually set traps and got 12 mice the first night. Mercifully, I was spared any type of experience like yours. I think I might have been in my car when your boss arrived.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
They totally give me the creeps. But I am really creeped out by bugs in general too. Other than a lady bug and an ant. most give me the willies. Forget me and crickets or mice. Good God. True story, Right after the market crashed in 1987 we were really busy. A broker who had an office a few away from me, forgot about a box of Godiva chocolate that he was supposed to take home before the crash. Well he left it on the shelf and it became a mice restaurant. I was alone in the office very early a few days after the crash and by the time the next person came in I was standing on my desk, with the look of a person who just came out of the shower and was walked in on before they had their towel. The boss said, "Ok, please don't tell me, you are looking for something in the ceiling". I told him that a mouse had run across my feet and I was not coming down until they found him. He laughed and called the building exterminator.
I don't do mice in the house. I had one a few years ago. Eek! I found its little gifts on the kitchen counter. My son wondered how it had gotten up there. I had carelessly left a broom leaning against the end of the kitchen counter. I'll never do that again.

It ran over your feet? I'd be up on the table, too. That's really pathetic of us because we're much larger than them and capable killing them without much effort. My mother was really upset when my older brother gave me gerbils for Christmas one year.

The little spider which was hanging out near the top of my kitchen window frame decided to visit the sink today. Finding nothing of value there, it tried to leave. It couldn't get out. I picked it up with a piece of paper and put it back on the window frame. If it can make a living there, it'll be doing me a favor.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:07 PM

13,065 posts, read 18,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't do mice in the house. I had one a few years ago. Eek! I found its little gifts on the kitchen counter. My son wondered how it had gotten up there. I had carelessly left a broom leaning against the end of the kitchen counter. I'll never do that again.

It ran over your feet? I'd be up on the table, too. That's really pathetic of us because we're much larger than them and capable killing them without much effort. My mother was really upset when my older brother gave me gerbils for Christmas one year.

The little spider which was hanging out near the top of my kitchen window frame decided to visit the sink today. Finding nothing of value there, it tried to leave. It couldn't get out. I picked it up with a piece of paper and put it back on the window frame. If it can make a living there, it'll be doing me a favor.
I have a bug man every 3 months. Never see anything at all. May not be great for the environment but it lets me sleep at night. You are so brave. I used to take hairspray, actually lacquer, and spay them to make them stiff and then I could get a fly shatter and dump them.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I have a bug man every 3 months. Never see anything at all. May not be great for the environment but it lets me sleep at night. You are so brave. I used to take hairspray, actually lacquer, and spay them to make them stiff and then I could get a fly shatter and dump them.
I had a bug man or three when I lived in North Carolina. I had roaches, fleas, flies (twice), termites and mice. No. Just no.

I can put up with quite a bit, but that property was cursed. Flies? Apparently, a mouse had died in the crawl space and they were coming up in the gaps around ducts. Fly tape isn't pretty, but it works. After I thought that I'd sealed everything, it happened the next year.

I went to visit my parents in PA for a few weeks. That worked.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 192 times
Any odor at Hawthorne development, or at Woodridge development, both Insight Homes?

Old 04-30-2024, 05:22 AM

9,744 posts, read 14,305,991 times
First of all, I've been in Delaware 84 years, and I never heard of "chicken ranches". We call them "chicken farms".

Here's a link showing just "some" chicken farm locations. Click each farm to show the location. When you click the farm (for instance) it will show you all the individual farms that do business with the parent company.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=chicke...ANAB01&PC=U531

Old 05-01-2024, 12:05 PM

270 posts, read 144,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenangosun View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to the Lewes area in Delaware. She read a post somewhere that there is an unpleasant odor associated with the chickens. As we lived in a town with a dogfood factory that gave off smells that we did not appreciate, we would like to know if the area smells of anything unpleasant.:

More people buying up new subdivisions on whatever farmer (or their kids) recently closed out, and then complaining about this that or the other from neighboring farms. You moved next to them, they didn't move next to you. Same thing has been happening in Anne Arundel and Howard County for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware