Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 04:28 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

Wright-Dunbar, just over the bridge from downtown, is a major bright spot on the West Side. Last I checked, the store fronts on the W. 3rd strip are 100% occupied and the West Social food market (CoHatch-style restaurant & bar co-op space) has been a major boon since it opened last year. Hopefully the revitalization spreads further west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 07:32 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wright-Dunbar, just over the bridge from downtown, is a major bright spot on the West Side. Last I checked, the store fronts on the W. 3rd strip are 100% occupied and the West Social food market (CoHatch-style restaurant & bar co-op space) has been a major boon since it opened last year. Hopefully the revitalization spreads further west.
Thats really encouraging to hear. That area was dead as a door nail back in 2008 when I first moved to Dayton. Hopefully that indicates genuine development and population increase from the city's core.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:42 AM

179 posts, read 271,838 times
Hi, everyone.

I'm native to Chicagoland, and though I think I visited Dayton for a few hours as a child during a tour of campuses for an older sibling, I've never truly visited the city. Dayton has come up enough times in recent trips and readings that I have it on my list in 2024 to visit. I am especially interested in museums and architecture. I don't know if any of you have current info about areas to visit vs. avoid, but I would be interested in getting informed about the city. I am not overly fearful myself, but I do know that there are differences between mostly safe spots, in-between spots, and no-go zones.

1 I prefer staying within city limits while traveling to cities, and I'll likely be driving down from Illinois. Which area(s) might be good for an Airbnb/hotel? A bonus would be if I could jog on the streets or on a trail near accommodation.

2 Which spots have nice architecture but are best avoided? I have been to sketchy areas around the world, not because I seek them out but because it just happens at times. Therefore, I don't mind places that are a bit rough, but I don't want to walk down a street that is the worst of the worst.

3 Is there a festival/event in Dayton that would make for an ideal time of year to visit?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Hi, everyone.

I'm native to Chicagoland, and though I think I visited Dayton for a few hours as a child during a tour of campuses for an older sibling, I've never truly visited the city. Dayton has come up enough times in recent trips and readings that I have it on my list in 2024 to visit. I am especially interested in museums and architecture. I don't know if any of you have current info about areas to visit vs. avoid, but I would be interested in getting informed about the city. I am not overly fearful myself, but I do know that there are differences between mostly safe spots, in-between spots, and no-go zones.

1 I prefer staying within city limits while traveling to cities, and I'll likely be driving down from Illinois. Which area(s) might be good for an Airbnb/hotel? A bonus would be if I could jog on the streets or on a trail near accommodation.

2 Which spots have nice architecture but are best avoided? I have been to sketchy areas around the world, not because I seek them out but because it just happens at times. Therefore, I don't mind places that are a bit rough, but I don't want to walk down a street that is the worst of the worst.

3 Is there a festival/event in Dayton that would make for an ideal time of year to visit?

Thanks for any feedback.
Im a bit out of touch on Dayton's current state. Meaning some places have changed for better or worse since I left. I would check out downtown, Oregon District, Southpark, St Anne's Hill, Huffman Historic Distric, (Old North Dayton -- Amber Rose restaraunt only for Eastern European food) McPherson Town, Grandview, and Five Oaks. Your mileage may vary on some of the more ghetto east end neighborhoods as well as the west side. You will notice the dilipadated housed and vacant lots in the more ghetto areas, which are plentous. Also Wright-Dunbar along third street. Cox Arboreuteum and Wergezyn Gardens are cool. Check out the downtown river walk area and theres miles of paved bicycle trails. The real no-go areas are over in the far west side and the neighborhoods along north main (Santa Clara) but it becomes obvious because of the lack of actual things worth seeing and abandonment. Out further along West Third takes a serious dive as many areas along Gettysburg Ave. Also, on the east end--Twin Towers sucks and plenty of areas along east third and east fifth street. Trust me, you will know when you leave a historic distric and hit the hood. Macfarlane and Five Points have cool architecture as well.

Air BnB aroound Oregon, Southpark, Downtown, St Annes, Huffman maybe...around University of Dayton perhaps...really most any neighborhood I mentioned to visit.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:18 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Five Oaks & Grandview I’d be careful about staying but would be okay to visit/drive during the day. Otherwise Tom named the best neighborhoods. Oregon has the most going on, though more hangout spots (breweries, restaurants) have opened up alongWayne Ave, East Third on the outskirts of Oregon & Downtown that used to be mostly industrial. Wright Dunbar is the upscale AA neighborhood and has the West Social food hall, which has Philippine food and probably the only Trinidadian restaurant in Ohio. 2nd Street market is worth checking out on the weekend too.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Five Oaks & Grandview I’d be careful about staying but would be okay to visit/drive during the day.
Yes!! And thanks for the clarification as I really didnt mean to include them on the airbnb list. Particularly Five Oaks, got a lot of rough patches there for sure and especially at night.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:12 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
The best area in Dayton is the Grafton Hill neighborhood, where the Masonic temple and Dayton Art Institute are. The homes are all well preserved and can be pricey. I did do a lot of partying in the Oregon District during my misspent youth.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The best area in Dayton is the Grafton Hill neighborhood, where the Masonic temple and Dayton Art Institute are. The homes are all well preserved and can be pricey. I did do a lot of partying in the Oregon District during my misspent youth.
Oh...Ive staggered along many many nights....The Century Bar was great too..

Old 12-28-2023, 10:11 PM

179 posts, read 271,838 times
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep doing some research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton