Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,225,035 times

Advertisements

Last week I went to a week-long estate sale at Old City Park where it looked like everything that wasn't nailed down there was being sold Does anyone know what happened and what they plan to do with the park? It's a such a treasure for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 06:00 PM

11,871 posts, read 26,925,095 times
The City of Dallas is ruining it…short answer. They took over operations from a nonprofit, and have sold most of the artifacts.
https://oldcityparkdallas.org/import...nds-of-change/

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 2,225,035 times
I completely agree with you. I was born in Dallas and have watched with horror and anger as time and time again Dallas has allowed historically significant buildings and neighborhoods be destroyed by developers. Dallas has pursued its dream of being a "world-class city," whatever that means, at the expense of its soul. Dallas quite often thinks its bigger and better than Fort Worth which quite often takes the opposite approach. I've many historically significant buildings be allowed to stay vacant until the right owner comes along who wants to respect the property. The latest is the Fort Worth Public Market which stayed vacant until a developer came along who saw the historic facade as an asset instead of a hindrance. In Dallas, the location would have been viewed as prime real estate and the market would have been bulldozed long ago. Fort Worth is far from perfect but Dallas could learn something from Fort Worth about respecting it's past instead of destroying it.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,925,095 times
Agree 100%. It is an absolute shame. Dallas wants everything to be new and shiny, and they think anything "historic" should be redeveloped immediately. I was absolutely aghast when I heard that the nonprofit that had been running it was booted, and all of the artifacts were being sold. I fully expect to see the historic buildings sold soon, and the park turned into condos shortly afterward.

Old Today, 03:53 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,420,629 times
What happened was the park has basically been poorly managed (or mismanaged depending on your opinion) for years and couldn't get enough philanthropic donors or city money to continue running. That's why the city took it over. I don't think they plan to do anything in particular with the buildings, other than close everything down and lock it up until some money comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: