Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 07:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,014 times

Advertisements

I can get dozens of anecdote and experiences in most all North CoCo cities except these 2. Anyone share recent experiences/reviews? I know it's a vague question. All I get from state facts (these are not opinions)
  • "Ratings" are similar to those of Frisco/Plano
  • Very high tax rate, I'm not sure why
  • Not ethnically diverse at all, almost all white dominated
  • Low economically disadvantaged families
  • Feels like Frisco 10 years ago, constant growing/building/rezoning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 03:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I can get dozens of anecdote and experiences in most all North CoCo cities except these 2. Anyone share recent experiences/reviews? I know it's a vague question. All I get from state facts (these are not opinions)
The ethnic composition statement is incorrect. Celina is about 56% White and Prosper is 47% white and both are trending downwards in terms of % of White students.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:51 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,466,670 times
Both are going to have a noticeably increased Indian demographic whenever it's the next time they take the official percentages. This is where many are moving now. The low economically disadvantaged population is going to go down further in the foreseeable future. It's like Frisco 2.0, but more similar to a time period of greater than 10 years for Celina, maybe 10 years is appropriate for Prosper. Also with the fast growth rate currently occurring, the anecdote from a couple of years ago may be somewhat relevant for Prosper, but not Celina.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:49 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
The ethnic composition statement is incorrect. Celina is about 56% White and Prosper is 47% white and both are trending downwards in terms of % of White students.
Meant to clarify that this is the composition of the school enrollment since the topic was the ISD’s. I am sure the most recent census numbers have higher white percentages for the overall population (lags a few years and the older population without school age children is probably less diverse).

Old 05-05-2024, 09:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,098,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Both are going to have a noticeably increased Indian demographic whenever it's the next time they take the official percentages. This is where many are moving now. The low economically disadvantaged population is going to go down further in the foreseeable future. It's like Frisco 2.0, but more similar to a time period of greater than 10 years for Celina, maybe 10 years is appropriate for Prosper. Also with the fast growth rate currently occurring, the anecdote from a couple of years ago may be somewhat relevant for Prosper, but not Celina.
I can't speak to the schools because I don't believe the rankings shown on the internet are meaningful guidelines for parents to use. They put too much into that. I must disagree though that either Prosper or Celina will ever resemble Frisco. I cannot emphasize enough that Frisco would have never amounted to anything had it not been for Stonebriar Mall, and people who don't know that don't know Frisco's history.

Regardless, Celina can at best hope to look no better than McKinney as a city, and even that is uncertain. All these cities contrast quite a lot not just in how they look now but in what the planned developments show. When you include McKinney and Frisco, both school district boundaries have a boat load of apartment development in the works that could well exceed single family residences, especially given Prosper's larger lot sizes. That doesn't mean they will be low income by any means, but I don't think their future is what most people envision.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:39 AM

96 posts, read 71,503 times
School ratings - online mean nothing. you can get TEA ratings to find if they are meeting the state's requirements but niche, greatschools etc are junk. the only way to get ratings is to ask parents in those districts - i am in PISD - i have generally been pleased with the progress of my children and the offerings of the schools. I may not be here through their full school timeline - my concern is the size of the ISD and 3,000 student schools - but the offerings and opportunities are endless.

high tax rates - much of the infrastructure of newer housing subdivisions are funded by MUD's/PID's which are separate tax jurisdictions (think water, sewer, roads, right of ways, etc). you can see those separate taxing jurisdictions if you look up an address on the collin county CAD website. these taxes are in lieu of city taxes, but are usually higher. additionally, the younger cities have much more development to do. so they have to build from scratch rather than maintaining. costs more. also higher tax base (parcels and/or value means more revenue and less tax rate per piece of pie)

ethnically diverse - totally false. agree with everything NP78 said. still majority white but won't be that way for long. Prosper ISD is twice as big as Prosper the town. the school district has 29k students. the ISD is forecasting 37k by 2027 school year. the town has about 35k-40k total population- max build out is about 70k in another 30 years. a lot of asians (primarily indian) prefer new construction so that rate will continue to climb relative to the total.

Celina and its ETJ is massive - will be bigger than frisco and plano with 378k total population. currently its about the same population as prosper because much is undeveloped. https://www.celina-tx.gov/1399/Annexations. this ISD is way smaller than propser at the moment so my opinion is the ISD will have growing pains

Economically disadvantaged - right or wrong, this will change. those low income families will be priced out due to skyrocketing property taxes, they will sell, or if renting, their rent will skyrocket. the growth in the area will make any percentage of low income decline significantly. Prosper has plenty of wealthy areas including good ol' Dak Prescott of the Cowboys.

Feels Like Frisco - agree to an extent - as development happens its all going to do that. Prosper has an excellent master plan and has a ton of mid to low density housing. there will be some high density apartments and townhomes in anchor areas of the town but its planned for. The state has reigned in some of the building materials requirement that cities try to enforce so that should alleviate some of "everything beige and stone" look and feel out there. Prosper will never feel like frisco as said above the size of the town will not allow for it. Celina i can see being like Frisco (in the retail and residential look and feel) but in 15+ years. Celina won't have the business and high rises like frisco and legacy west along the DNT

Last edited by callmebutter; 05-06-2024 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 09:17 PM

789 posts, read 1,227,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Agree with everything NP78 said. 1 important thing to note is school district boundaries often do NOT coincide with city boundaries, so yes Prosper ISD will still remain smaller than Celina at build out, but you have to also consider all of the areas in McKinney feeding into Prosper schools when looking at demographics.

What I’m unsure of is whether Celina having a projected population eclipsing Plano will go with the Frisco model of smaller schools or the Plano model at the secondary level.

As development continues and school ratings become more established, yes, of course you’ll see demographic shifts just like in Frisco. There’s no reason that wouldn’t happen.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 29,378 times
Prosper ISD has multiple high schools.
Prosper high school will have greater white population and Walnut and rock hill is heavily dominated by Indian origin students as those high schools serve frisco and Mckinney areas.
Prosper isd serves, Prosper, Celina, Frisco and McKinney. I think some areas of Aubrey as well.
It is a solid school district and we have had two kids enrolled last several years.
Juat landdd here randomly and assuming you are looking to buy. If you can afford it find a home in Prosper. It's a niche little town with good control over what's allowed and not allowed and a solid retail tax base being established. Very happy we moved here 7 years ago.
I don't see a cheap home in Prosper but still lot of options under 750k for families.

Old Today, 10:08 PM

211 posts, read 277,468 times
The MEDIAN income in Prosper, TX. was recently reported as being $215K, if possible move into the Prosper ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas