Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 01:01 PM

6,721 posts, read 9,970,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I read that whole article twice and I still can't figure out what the hell they're proposing.

Are they proposing to put in some rowhouses and duplexes? apartments over shops?
This presentation from July 2023 shows examples on slide 23 of what the neighborhood wants. Also slide 13 and 14 shows the nodes that are being rezoned. Many of them are old streetcar nodes that can’t really be utilized because of current zoning.

https://dallascityhall.com/departmen...l_July2023.pdf

Also, this is the old North Cliff streetcar node (one of the areas on slide 13 and 14). Most neighborhoods do not want to be another Bishop Arts. That streetcar node has turned into more of regional draw. People want it to be more neighborhood scaled, which will help even more with car traffic, since it’s not meant to draw people from all over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=DiZpmLh19us

Hampton-Clarendon node starting at 1:28

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkayd85dw8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 10:48 PM

64 posts, read 103,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
When I lived in Raleigh, one thing I loved about it there was that the highway looped around the city rather than cut through it. Loved that. But you can’t really do this in Dallas or the majority of America. The infrastructure has been there for decades
I grew up in Dallas and have moved back and forth between the DFW area and Raleigh several times - currently living in Raleigh.

If you want to see how "the missing middle" impacts a city that has traditionally had a majority of SFH neighborhoods, watch how all of this is playing out in the Raleigh area with their 3-year old Raleigh Forward plan. So far, it doesn't seem to be helping with adding to the affordable housing supply; it's only lining the developer's pockets.

If I intentionally purchased a home on a 1+ acre lot, in an established neighborhood with similar homes, I would certainly be upset if the "historical" house next to me on a 2.5 acre lot was sold to build 17 $2 million townhomes (see news link below). I personally think this is a misuse of a policy that was meant to create dense housing that is more affordable. These "plans/policies" seem to be created with good intention, but left unmonitored you end up with something like this. It's happening quite often in the Raleigh area. The only one it's helping is the developer.

What they say it will do and who it helps:
https://ncimpact.sog.unc.edu/2022/06...iangle-region/

What it's really doing and who it really helps:
https://abc11.com/missing-middle-ral...rict/12386773/
https://indyweek.com/news/wake/hayes...issing-middle/

On the flip side, what if you lived in a home on one of the larger lots in an area like Dallas' established Lakewood area, and the lot next to you was sold to put up an 8-10 unit subsidized housing complex? I don't think this is necessarily a NIMBY issue, but one that if you chose to buy your dream house in an area with similar single family income and homes that have similar value$, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that the neighborhood would maintain its equivalent status in the near future. Not saying that all subsidized housing is negative, but it generally has its stigma. A friend's parents are currently experiencing this situation, and they are being forced to move due to the constant crime and police presence this one property has brought to the once quiet neighborhood. The HOA says they have no say since city laws overrule the CC&R's (not sure about how that works).

I know my views on this probably appear pretty "slanted," but I'm not actually against this new trend. I just don't like to see how it is being carried out in Raleigh, NC - which historically hasn't had a crooked city council like Dallas. But this is a system ripe for corruption and kickbacks, which the City of Dallas seems to fall victim to over and over again. If a city is going to implement something like this, they need to fully explore if the positives outweigh the possible negative impacts it can have on existing residents. You can't just put a new "plan" in place that has good intentions, and hope that things turn out as intended.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:56 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,096,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
When I lived in Raleigh, one thing I loved about it there was that the highway looped around the city rather than cut through it. Loved that. But you can’t really do this in Dallas or the majority of America. The infrastructure has been there for decades

Evidently, there were calls from some city council members to remove one of the city's highways:
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...id-plan-txdot/

Of course, we all know that TxDOT is dumber than a box of rocks, and the incompetence and stupidity of its managers, leaders, and planners rival anything you would find even in a third world nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenbro View Post
On the flip side, what if you lived in a home on one of the larger lots in an area like Dallas' established Lakewood area, and the lot next to you was sold to put up an 8-10 unit subsidized housing complex? I don't think this is necessarily a NIMBY issue, but one that if you chose to buy your dream house in an area with similar single family income and homes that have similar value$, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that the neighborhood would maintain its equivalent status in the near future. Not saying that all subsidized housing is negative, but it generally has its stigma. A friend's parents are currently experiencing this situation, and they are being forced to move due to the constant crime and police presence this one property has brought to the once quiet neighborhood. The HOA says they have no say since city laws overrule the CC&R's (not sure about how that works).

I suspect that they were referring to land outside the HOA's boundaries. An HOA is a planned community of houses that constitute a specific neighborhood. A city is not going to bulldoze homes in a neighborhood like that, but the HOA can only govern the lots that fall within its jurisdiction, and those are set out at the time it's built. They can expand over time, but I don't think I have ever heard of one shrinking.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:13 PM

24,652 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Evidently, there were calls from some city council members to remove one of the city's highways:
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...id-plan-txdot/

Of course, we all know that TxDOT is dumber than a box of rocks, and the incompetence and stupidity of its managers, leaders, and planners rival anything you would find even in a third world nation.

I suspect that they were referring to land outside the HOA's boundaries. An HOA is a planned community of houses that constitute a specific neighborhood. A city is not going to bulldoze homes in a neighborhood like that, but the HOA can only govern the lots that fall within its jurisdiction, and those are set out at the time it's built. They can expand over time, but I don't think I have ever heard of one shrinking.
You may want to read up o HOAs and HOAs inTexas.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

23 posts, read 19,440 times
We did hear that the rules of an HOA would supersede any laws Dallas passes to remove single family zoning in that neighborhood. It might drive people to create them just to make sure they don't lose their property rights.

Old Today, 08:39 AM

5,637 posts, read 4,962,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
We did hear that the rules of an HOA would supersede any laws Dallas passes to remove single family zoning in that neighborhood. It might drive people to create them just to make sure they don't lose their property rights.
Private deed restrictions are fine, as long as they fall within the boundaries established by civil rights laws. Definitely the way to go vs. municipal laws / regulations on use and density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas