Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 07:03 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
You must be relocating from elsewhere. HPISD doesn’t really have family homes for 1 Million Dollars. You’d be in a condo, townhouse or SFA…in many cases living next to wealthy SMU students.

If you can afford 1.7-2 Million, that’s a different story.
Very good point. I didn’t catch the reference originally. Even under 2.2 is very tough (I count 4 single family detached homes on the market that are not already pending or on a major road under 2.2 currently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 08:37 PM

8,128 posts, read 3,669,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Yeah, by that measure HP is almost 50% ahead of Coppell, but that’s probably more about the students than the school.
That looks to be from a prior year. In the last announcement, I think, Coppell has almost 4 times more, while the class size is probably less than double.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:00 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
That looks to be from a prior year. In the last announcement, I think, Coppell has almost 4 times more, while the class size is probably less than double.
Kind of supports my point. NMSF is more about the students not the schools. Did Coppell magically improve as a district in a year or two or did HPISD decline? Unlikely on both counts. Both are good districts that provide plenty of opportunities. An individual student outcome will likely be the same in either district.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:31 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,486,590 times
I would say very different school systems and different demographics and entirely different people.
HPHS is probably 1/2 the size of CHS.
In general I say in HPISD $1.5 million gets you what is that area is really a 1/2 duplex, but we call them single family attached in that area. While there are exceptions houses pretty much start about $4-5million.
Coppell probably you could find a house for $400,000 and a big big mix of demographics in income, history, immigrants.
HP is mostly old established monied families.
I don't know how to explain it. I live in Coppell, but somewhat grew up in Dallas. Have several friends and old girlfriend who attended HPISD. Personally I would not want to be the poor kid on the block in HPISD. For example they just have very different networks and experiences in HPISD. Many of those kids may go skiing for two weeks over the holidays in Aspen or Vail and again at Spring break...maybe staying at their family's home there. They may do internships at oil and money management companies in the Summer or spend it in Europe or doing some high level volunteer work in Washington or Africa or somewhere fun. I would guess many students go to legacy schools or Texas schools. I mean why go to Stanford or Harvard Law if you are going to come back and practice law in Texas when you could go to SMU? When they finish school they may go to work for family company or company of family friend to get the outside work experience perspective.
While Coppell is a small town, I feel like Park Cities is even smaller and tighter.
I'm out of that realm now, but if you think your kid may want to go to a Texas school, you might want to figure out how that works with the top 10% rule or whatever that is now. To me all other elite schools is kind of a crap shoot. Plenty of students from less challenging high schools go to elite schools.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:17 AM

303 posts, read 365,107 times
Quote:
Outcomes in High School are mostly related to the effort the child and parents put into the education.
This right here. And in HPISD, just about all the parents typically have unlimited resources to provide for their kiddos. Bulldozers that push any obstacles out of the way are easily affordable for most park cities parents.

Quote:
If you can afford 1.7-2 Million, that’s a different story.
2.5 million is the new 1.7 million in the Park Cities. You aren't going to find any move in ready single family home in the Park Cities for under 2 million.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:33 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Demographically, Coppell is about 50% Indian/South Asian and HP is about 85% white.

Regardless of demographics, HP would be a non-starter for me because of the lack of diversity and I would want my kid to be exposed to more.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:07 AM

8,128 posts, read 3,669,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Kind of supports my point. NMSF is more about the students not the schools. Did Coppell magically improve as a district in a year or two or did HPISD decline? Unlikely on both counts. Both are good districts that provide plenty of opportunities. An individual student outcome will likely be the same in either district.
I was just mentioning the most recent results

Old 04-15-2024, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 13,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Personally I would not want to be the poor kid on the block in HPISD. For example they just have very different networks and experiences in HPISD. Many of those kids may go skiing for two weeks over the holidays in Aspen or Vail and again at Spring break...maybe staying at their family's home there. They may do internships at oil and money management companies in the Summer or spend it in Europe or doing some high level volunteer work in Washington or Africa or somewhere fun.
I totally agree but the general pulse of Dallas seems to be to climb as high as you can, even if you don't have a parachute for when you fall off the top. We could scrounge up what it takes to live in HP or UP, but then what? My kids feel like the poorest scum because they aren't summering in France or spending weekends at the country club? For some people I think they precisely want their children to tag along to the summer in France or think knowing someone who has a vacation home in Aspen means it is more attainable for them personally or the prestige rubs off on them.

I know all this means I can't afford Park Cities because it's more than just the house...spelling it out for anyone who believes buying the $2M house is an all-inclusive pass. It's not, it's just the parking fee.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM

16 posts, read 18,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoney View Post
I totally agree but the general pulse of Dallas seems to be to climb as high as you can, even if you don't have a parachute for when you fall off the top. We could scrounge up what it takes to live in HP or UP, but then what? My kids feel like the poorest scum because they aren't summering in France or spending weekends at the country club? For some people I think they precisely want their children to tag along to the summer in France or think knowing someone who has a vacation home in Aspen means it is more attainable for them personally or the prestige rubs off on them.

I know all this means I can't afford Park Cities because it's more than just the house...spelling it out for anyone who believes buying the $2M house is an all-inclusive pass. It's not, it's just the parking fee.
I can't argue that park cities is very wealthy area- but we live there and don't spend summers in France or have vacation homes or are members of DCC and there are plenty of others don't either and my kids don't feel like 'poorest scum'. It would be great to have more financial and race diversity, of course, and that alone would be a reason to choose another neighborhood - but its hard to argue that you would feel poor living there (just because there are wealthier people around). Just my opinion only!

Old 04-15-2024, 11:34 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Quote:
its hard to argue that you would feel poor living there (just because there are wealthier people around). Just my opinion only!
Also plenty of people in every upper class district go overseas in the summer and skiing in the winter. That's also why most parents are ticked off that public school spring break in TX is so early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas