Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:59 AM

278 posts, read 216,242 times

Advertisements

You can list your house for like 2% + flat fee total. There are plenty flat fee agents who will list your home on MLS and offer 2% to buyers agent. They wont do much leg work at all. But if you know what you're doing, then it can work - if not you'll be missing out on a lot of potential profit.

The whole 'best time to sell is now' is load of agent baloney. No one has a crystal ball. If anything Covid has shown is that something can happen which can double your house in matter of months. Or it can half like in 2008. Seasonally they're right though, spring is best time to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 09:26 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Don't put yourself at a disadvantage by being cheap on the commission. It really is a small amount of money, and you'll do better if you time your house properly on the market. People with kids generally want to be moved into a new house before school starts, and July is too late for that.
It's a massive amount of money given time x talent inputs.

The problem with sales side residential RE is two fold, A. there are too many part timers and dabblers. B. the business is chock full of people who are utterly incompetent, lazy or disengaged. These two factors put lots of pressure on the 30% or whatever who are real hard working pros.

One of my lifelong best friends is a very successful mostly farm and ranch RE agent. He ends up doing much of the opposing agent's job often.......dealing with agents who don't understand the ramifications of specific title policy exceptions, mineral vs. surface vs. sight rights issues, livestock transfers, ag exemptions etc. Plus others who simply lie on behalf of their clients.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:00 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's a massive amount of money given time x talent inputs.

The problem with sales side residential RE is two fold, A. there are too many part timers and dabblers. B. the business is chock full of people who are utterly incompetent, lazy or disengaged. These two factors put lots of pressure on the 30% or whatever who are real hard working pros.

One of my lifelong best friends is a very successful mostly farm and ranch RE agent. He ends up doing much of the opposing agent's job often.......dealing with agents who don't understand the ramifications of specific title policy exceptions, mineral vs. surface vs. sight rights issues, livestock transfers, ag exemptions etc. Plus others who simply lie on behalf of their clients.
I agree that a good realtor is absolutely worth that extra 1% in commission. The seller being a cheapskate and trying to save 1% ends up only short-changing themselves.

Yes, farm and ranch properties have their own set of rules, and you need a good realtor who knows them!

Old 04-12-2024, 07:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
Sell when you need to move and have a place to go. Don't worry about timing and real estate commissions.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:38 AM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhongl View Post
I am considering downgrade my house, but not in urgency. with all the real estate commission change in July,
should I wait? maybe the buyer commission will drop.
Right now, when I check online, it seems houses listed around my neighborhood, they still offer 3% to buyer agent mostly.
Not sure why people do not understand / comprehend that commissions for selling a home are negotiable and always have been! If one agent is unwilling to sell for less than the “norm” of 3%, move on to an agent who will! It’s not just “flat fee” brokers who are willing to do this.

For example, I work with an extremely reputable realtor, and because I’m a repeat client, they only charge me 1.5% + the 3% that goes to the buyer’s agent vs. The “norm” of 6%.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:57 AM

87 posts, read 98,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Not sure why people do not understand / comprehend that commissions for selling a home are negotiable and always have been! If one agent is unwilling to sell for less than the “norm” of 3%, move on to an agent who will! It’s not just “flat fee” brokers who are willing to do this.

For example, I work with an extremely reputable realtor, and because I’m a repeat client, they only charge me 1.5% + the 3% that goes to the buyer’s agent vs. The “norm” of 6%.

Yes, I spoke with a few realtors, some of them will charge 1.5%, some of them 2%. That's not going to change.
My question is more about the 3% that goes to the buyer agent. Could they be disappearing altogether after July for me as a seller? If so, that is not a small change. would you say?

Old 04-13-2024, 04:08 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
"Best" time to list a property is the week of APRIL 11th to the 18th.

Ofc, I got this from an agent that's horny to list ANY property in my area....

Old 04-13-2024, 04:14 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Say you don't have a clue about commissions, without saying you don't have a clue about commissions.

Commissions are negotiable - always have been. Negotiate whatever you want to pay whenever you want. Just understand that if the buyer's agent's rate is low and shows in the MLS, you might not get many showings. Make it fair and current market rate.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:15 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhongl View Post
Yes, I spoke with a few realtors, some of them will charge 1.5%, some of them 2%. That's not going to change.
My question is more about the 3% that goes to the buyer agent. Could they be disappearing altogether after July for me as a seller? If so, that is not a small change. would you say?
You think buyer's agents are going to work for free? Funny.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:05 PM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post

Exactly. Once my home prices got above the million mark, I never agreed to pay an agent more than 1% to sell my home. I would agree to buy my new home with them as my realtor so they would get the 3% from the other seller. Now, it will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I bet realtor's representing the buyer will be taking 1% a lot more often, because if they don't, someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: