Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:56 PM

577 posts, read 299,783 times

Advertisements

I’m proud to me part of the Dallas area which is how I say where I am to someone with no knowledge of DFW or plano. I don’t say I’m from Dallas as I was lectured too many times here in the distance pass for claiming I was in Dallas when I didn’t earn that right. I see division between Dallas and the suburbs which I feel is unhealthy as we both need each other to continue to be making ot I’ve progress.

But hearing a Dallas resident say they said take freeways down to make it harder for suburbanites to work in Dallas blew my mind… when it was offered as a way to make Dallas better. Small silly thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 06:28 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
So will Dallas become New Delhi India, Lagos Nigeria, or Mexico City? Or some dystopian combo of those?

Old 03-17-2024, 06:35 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
So will Dallas become New Delhi India, Lagos Nigeria, or Mexico City? Or some dystopian combo of those?
You forgot Cali and the Northern US states.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
It must not be because Dallas is already the largest county.
Harris County had the largest population increase in the nation. I believe it is housing related. Dallas needs to open up to smaller lot sizes. Also all the "Good areas" of Dallas County are built out. Whereas Harris County has new Master planned communities even in areas that used to be considered "Bad" The fastest selling Master Planned communities in Texas. Bridgeland, Elyson, Sunterra?, Marvida, Balmoral are all in Harris County. Plus there is a TON of inner loop Urban style townhomes on small lots that can be bought for the same price as a new home out in the suburbs.
That's true to an extent but there's still quite a bit of undeveloped land in Harris County out on the northwest and eastern parts of the county. It's not really a perfect comparison with Dallas County. I do agree that some upzoning would definitely help the latter in terms of being able to accept new residents.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:04 PM

139 posts, read 113,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Wherever you see a chance you needle about Indian immigrants. What is your beef?
Leonard's mother and ex wife both cheated and had sexual relations with Indian men.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:20 AM

269 posts, read 117,840 times
Default The answer is yes!

Please embrace diversity. This is the future of America. ultimately the country will become more and more diverse. Especially Hispanic and Asian populations will increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post

Old 03-18-2024, 02:09 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I agree, with a lot of the comments that I’ve read so far. I think it has a lot to do with NIMBYs that do not want additional development in desirable areas, expensive housing, and perhaps Dallas not really pushing hard enough to develop Southern Dallas. Dallas proper has legit semi-rural areas in Southern Dallas and Far SE Dallas - (Kleberg/Rylie area). The same came be said for Southern Dallas County - (Lancaster, Glen Heights, Seagoville, Wilmer, Hutchins, etc) and East Dallas County - (Sunnyvale) which are entirely semi-rural or have large areas that are.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:40 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Lots of counties had loss of American born population in the last estimate:

Jefferson: -1,291
Cameron: -1,863
Webb: -2,054
El Paso: -3,840
Travis: -10,479
Harris: -22,792
Dallas: -34,330

I suppose the main difference between Dallas and Harris Counties is international growth. International growth is spread out a lot more across the main counties in the Metroplex. In the Houston area, its almost all Harris County:

Harris: 41,665
Dallas: 19,723
Tarrant: 8,805
Collin: 8,137
Travis: 8,068
Fort Bend: 6,834
Bexar: 5,705
Denton: 3,828
Montgomery: 2,635
Williamson: 2,390
Hidalgo: 1,695
El Paso: 1,683

Basically Dallas and Harris Counties have the same trends as NYC, Cook County, LA, and Miami-Dade counties have: foreign immigrants come in, Americans leave.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:31 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
From The Houston Chronicle

Texas State Demographer Lloyd Potter said it wasn't surprising to see the Dallas- Fort Worth Metroplex and the Houston metro area topping the list for population growth between July 1, 2022. and July 1, 2023.

Harris County led the way with a growth of 53,788 residents during that time, the most of any county. No other county comes within 17,000 people of Harris County, which is the nation's third-largest county by population.

Potter said two main reasons drove Harris County's signicant population gains during that time frame: international migration and natural growth.

"Harris County's very strong immigration and natural increase are resulting in it just continuing to dominate population growth in the country," Potter said.

Harris County was second in the country in international migration behind Miami- Dade County in Florida. Harris County saw 41,665 new residents arrive internationally.
Potter said there's a theory for international migration that when people from one country move to another, that tends to start a pipeline between the two areas. He said there's research to support the theory, and said there are many examples of this in Texas through the immigration of people from places such as Mexico and Vietnam.

"Harris County has been pretty international for some time," Potter said. "If you look historically, there's been a lot of immigrants coming into Harris County or in the Houston area. Those ows essentially get established and continue."

Harris County led the country in natural change with a natural increase of 34,695. Natural change is the number of babies born minus the number of people who die.

Potter said Harris County has a high ratio of young people to old people, meaning
births are much more likely to be greater than deaths.

"In urban areas like Harris County, the population tends to be young ... in childbearing years," Potter said. "There's also a fairly diverse population in Harris County and persons of Hispanic descent and African Americans tend to have higher birth rates than the non-Hispanic white and Asian population. Having fewer people at the older ages, meaning fewer deaths, and a lot of people in the reproductive years results in a very signicant natural increase."

Potter said what makes Harris County's situation unique is that despite being in the top two in international migration and natural change is that domestic migration didn't factor in at all.

Potter said it would be hard to see Harris County not continuing to grow as it recently has going forward, barring any major policy changes.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:37 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Please embrace diversity.
Not happening. I've seen it up close and personal in several cities, as well as some garden spots overseas in the military. But by all means, you enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas