Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 10:55 PM

6,726 posts, read 9,975,081 times

Advertisements

Additional progress is being made at the RedBird redevelopment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz6xWCKUTbo

Progress pics from Reimagine RedBird's Instagram

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-12-2023 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 03:13 PM

Some updates - a lot of progress happening here

Retail Building renovation along Camp Wisdom

https://dallascityhall.com/departmen...ry_reduced.pdf

West Wing Plaza where the old JCPenney use to be

https://dallascityhall.com/departmen..._optimized.pdf

Design of the new Tom Thumb

https://dallascityhall.com/departmen..._Submittal.pdf

Old 08-16-2023, 04:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
Thanks for the update, Dallaz.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:15 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,060,274 times
Dam I am old enough to remember when RedBird was first built. It was a game changer for all of Oak Cliff.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:48 PM

Ok. Here are some updates y’all.

Since this is outside of Loop 12 and on the very southern edge of Oak Cliff, I will be updating it here and not in the core developments thread.

Oct 2023
(No paywall)

Chick-fil-A Opens 3,000th Store in Revitalized Redbird Neighborhood
The chicken chain's 3,000th store is now open in the Redbird area of Oak Cliff.

Dec 2023

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=k0rHnUE7vwM

March 2024

RedBird mall redevelopment flies into new phase, prepares to welcome Tom Thumb
Developer also seeking office tenants in a difficult market

Quote:

The RedBird mall redevelopment continues to make progress off West Camp Wisdom Road in southern Dallas.

Construction of a Tom Thumb grocery store and redevelopment of the west side of the aging mall are the main priorities this year for Peter Brodsky, RedBird's developer.

The renovations and fresh tenant activity represent major steps toward fulfilling the multiyear vision of Brodsky and co-developer Terrance Maiden. The project is a huge undertaking in southern Dallas, which historically has been overlooked by businesses.

Brodsky purchased the 107-acre site in 2015. His work has attracted tenants such as Dallas College, Chime Solutions and the DEC Network, which is expanding to a 20,000-square-foot facility at the complex.

Upcoming tenants include Children’s Health, which is building a 71,700-square-foot clinic, and Dallas nonprofit Crossroads Community Services, which is opening a nutrition pharmacy.

With the lease finalized, the developers have moved into the design phase for the 50,000-square-foot Tom Thumb. Construction is anticipated to begin before the end of the year following a six-month design process and permitting, Brodsky said. Dallas City Council last year approved a $5.8 million incentives package for the store. The Tom Thumb will be located at the southeast corner of Camp Wisdom and Westmoreland roads and create a minimum of 90 jobs.

The developers also plan to commence renovations on the west side of the mall, which will house Dallas nonprofit Vogel’s 15,000-square-foot child care facility and additional tenants such as a gym and salon suite. Work on the west side will include a new façade with windows and storefronts, allowing for exterior-facing business, as well as office space on the second floor.

"It will also involve a renovation of the interior," Brodsky said. "It’ll be the first interior corridor that's been renovated [and] get away from the old '80s look that a lot of the corridors have right now. We're really excited about the two sets of entrepreneurs that are starting, RedBird Fit and the salon suite business. We think it’s going to provide services that people in the community want and need but also give a lot of opportunities to entrepreneurs."

Is there a specific type of tenant you would like to see come to RedBird?

"Oh, absolutely. There's a lot more demand for restaurants. There's a lot more demand for high-quality retail. There's a lot more demand for housing. We would think about doing additional housing.

"The biggest type of tenant that we want is offices. We think that there is a whole population of people here that also would like to live near where they work but don't have that opportunity because there's so few places to work here. There's just not enough corporate headquarters in southern Dallas. We continue to be excited about that opportunity."
April 2024

New uses floated for former Macy’s site at RedBird
The minimum investment amount also may jump by $15 million if approved by the Dallas City Council.

Quote:
During a meeting of Dallas’ Mall Area Redevelopment Tax Increment Financing District, developer Peter Brodsky presented the “why” behind requested changes to an existing Chapter 380 economic development grant and loan agreement with the city for the mall redevelopment project in southern Dallas.

Those changes include removing language that requires the former Macy’s space be transformed into office space, in addition to excluding it from certain occupancy requirements depending on its redevelopment.

The developer also asked for the city to allow for a joint venture partner for the Macy’s portion of the project.

The reasoning stemmed from a request to potentially convert the property to a hotel. Typically, a hotel would want to own, rather than have a ground lease for its space — hence, the joint venture arrangement.

Brodsky stated plainly during the meeting that there is not a deal with any would-be hotel partner, that talks are in early stages, and it may not come to fruition.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 140 times
Will be interesting to see how the Tom Thumb fares.

The proximity to those apartments and motels behind Bailey's and Pep Boys is concerning, but it's a positive for the development.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:23 PM

314 posts, read 369,616 times
Aldi is a much better option than Tom Thumb with prices at least 30% higher.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Xanatos View Post
Will be interesting to see how the Tom Thumb fares.

The proximity to those apartments and motels behind Bailey's and Pep Boys is concerning, but it's a positive for the development.
I agree. It will be very interesting. If it’s a success, like everything has been so far, I bet more investment will follow. I don’t think it had to fall off like that before real intervention came. Just my personal opinion. The good part is that at least the SF neighborhoods haven’t completely went to hell. Still are a lot of stable SF neighborhoods in the area. Luckily, the housing stock was built to a more upscale quality, when it was originally built in the 60s/70s. The aging apartments though maybe a different story.

I have family who live in the Red Bird area of Oak Cliff. The black professional and business class use to live in this area…well some still do, but a lot of them moved to DeSoto or Cedar Hill and the retailers around RedBird followed them, starting with JCPenney in 2001. My 1st cousin lives in this area: https://maps.app.goo.gl/TXG2eezaBTrz4J5m6?g_st=ic

That movie called Carter High, it depicts those football players as inner city kids. They came from solidly middle class two parent households. They were not poor kids.

This is the same area in 1974, 14 years before the Carter High School scandal, during blockbusting. RedBird Mall was new then. The trees in this area are noticeably a lot shorter. Homes for the most part still look the same.

Even the country club on Red Bird Lane was in jeopardy of permanently closing before Dr. Tony Evans, mega-church pastor of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship bought it and saved it…a few years ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=4QY_O...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Aldi is a much better option than Tom Thumb with prices at least 30% higher.
There’s already an Aldi in the area. The neighborhood wanted a higher quality full service grocer. Based on what the developer wants to put here, Aldi wasn’t something he’s looking for. The idea (according to Peter Brodsky) is to return RedBird to its former glory. I remain optimistic about his efforts though. To be completely honest, I didn’t even expect it to redevelop this much. Like most places in Southern Dallas, they were left to fend for itself after years of promises to revitalize the area. I mean, I remember the mall and area was at its peak. Very rapid decline during the 2000s as people moved south. The whole Camp Wisdom Road corridor from 67 to Cockrell Hill was robust with stores and restaurants. Sigh…but at least finally something is happening.

Edit: This is the RedBird I remember

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-06-2024 at 05:35 PM..

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,098,697 times
I don't know the area at all, but no one has mentioned the Tom Thumb brand could well be gone by next year. If the Kroger Albertson's merger gets approved by the court, this one, among others, would either become a Kroger or a Piggly Wiggly.

I have to wonder what's going on for Albertson's (Tom Thumb) to plan a new store in the midst of an acquisition they want. It would be especially peculiar if it was near any existing Kroger store.

I don't know if anyone here realizes how serious and dire the implications of this merger would be for the grocery landscape in the metro area. Hopefully, Judge Adrienne Nelson will.

Old Today, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 26,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I don't know the area at all, but no one has mentioned the Tom Thumb brand could well be gone by next year. If the Kroger Albertson's merger gets approved by the court, this one, among others, would either become a Kroger or a Piggly Wiggly.

I have to wonder what's going on for Albertson's (Tom Thumb) to plan a new store in the midst of an acquisition they want. It would be especially peculiar if it was near any existing Kroger store.

I don't know if anyone here realizes how serious and dire the implications of this merger would be for the grocery landscape in the metro area. Hopefully, Judge Adrienne Nelson will.
Legally, Kroger and Albertsons have to show evidence that they are operating independently until the (unlikely) merger is approved. Not doing so creates even more collusion and antitrust concerns, which are already a significant barrier against the merger moving forward. Not to minimize the impact in DFW, but the potential impact in other markets (particularly on the west coast) is even more enormous. Kroger and Albertsons-owned banners are #1 and #2 in most of these markets, with Walmart a relatively minor player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas