Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 01:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 9,968,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is old old but it' reveals the HISTORY of the ambition behind it!!! Whatever we get will be iconic and well received...... Even if it's drastically scaled down.

It probably will be scaled down but not DRASTICALLY.... Even a scaled down version would STILL be HUGE!!!

https://youtu.be/Pvx4NVpeEFI:
Lol, I know about the original plan. To have no park at all in the floodplain is drastically scaled down. That’s what voters approved in ‘98. It was a 10,000 acre park within the levees. I remember them bragging about how it was gonna be the largest urban park in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 05:20 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,464,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Lol, I know about the original plan. To have no park at all in the floodplain is drastically scaled down. That’s what voters approved in ‘98. It was a 10,000 acre park within the levees. I remember them bragging about how it was gonna be the largest urban park in America.
Yeah....But like you said...There's already a widely used functional Park in the basin. So even if they don't do anything else down there..... it'll still be access and usage of that one.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah....But like you said...There's already a widely used functional Park in the basin. So even if they don't do anything else down there..... it'll still be access and usage of that one.
That park is tiny in comparison to what Dallas taxpayers was sold on. I simply used that as an example of what can be done without much expense. It’s just annoying how the city makes plans that it cannot deliver.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:59 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,317,243 times
I always thought building between the levees was such a dumb idea with the flooding and critters down there. The lakes are a good idea though and building along the levees is much smarter. I wouldn't mind seeing the portion around downtown dammed to create a large body of water like how the river is dammed in DT Austin.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I always thought building between the levees was such a dumb idea with the flooding and critters down there. The lakes are a good idea though and building along the levees is much smarter. I wouldn't mind seeing the portion around downtown dammed to create a large body of water like how the river is dammed in DT Austin.
That was an idea in the late 70s and 80s but it was fought by environmentalists. It was called “Town Lake”. They were right when they said it would be nothing more than a cesspool. So, plans were dropped for that.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That park is tiny in comparison to what Dallas taxpayers was sold on. I simply used that as an example of what can be done without much expense. It’s just annoying how the city makes plans that it cannot deliver.
Right..But they said we'll still get what they planned in the basin but it'll just not be in the basin...And more built at levee level. ...I'm really not too picky with the details because I know it will be an asset.

I really don't care what they decide to do....As long as THEY DO IT!!!

Old 06-25-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Right..But they said we'll still get what they planned in the basin but it'll just not be in the basin...And more built at levee level. ...I'm really not too picky with the details because I know it will be an asset.

I really don't care what they decide to do....As long as THEY DO IT!!!
The lakes will be nothing now than dry ponds that fill up with water when it rains. Exactly, like what’s there now a Trammell Crow Park.

There will be no 250 acre park like Mayor Johnson said. There is no land outside the levees for a major park. They’ve wasted all the bond money from 1998 on designs and consultations. They kept scrapping plans and all the bond money dried up. Even for the small pocket parks outside the levees, they’ll still have to raise money to get it done and I highly doubt it will ever happen. Personally, I think they should just scrap the entire plan and let this die. We have existing parks around the city that are underfunded and desperately needs upgrades.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-25-2023 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 08:16 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,719,802 times
Quote:
Widely used by whom, pray tell? Folks dumping bodies?

Look - what you've got here is a slow moving meandering alluvial river, which alternates between barely-visible trickle to raging flood that carries everything before it. What you do with this kind of river is you contain it between big levees where it passes through a city, and then away from the city you let it expand into its floodplain. You CANNOT change the nature of the Trinity River unless you can develop some way to magically tilt the northwest corner of the state up by 1000 feet or so and convert it from what it is into a rapidly flowing river that doesn't periodically flood dramatically.

The city government circa 1900 took care of this. Yes, there will be edits to the levee and drain system through the decades. But trying to convert the Trinity and its bottom lands into something other than what it is, has been an ongoing unrealistic dream in this city since - well, pretty much forever. Note the term "unrealistic".

Old 06-27-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Widely used by whom, pray tell? Folks dumping bodies?

Look - what you've got here is a slow moving meandering alluvial river, which alternates between barely-visible trickle to raging flood that carries everything before it. What you do with this kind of river is you contain it between big levees where it passes through a city, and then away from the city you let it expand into its floodplain. You CANNOT change the nature of the Trinity River unless you can develop some way to magically tilt the northwest corner of the state up by 1000 feet or so and convert it from what it is into a rapidly flowing river that doesn't periodically flood dramatically.

The city government circa 1900 took care of this. Yes, there will be edits to the levee and drain system through the decades. But trying to convert the Trinity and its bottom lands into something other than what it is, has been an ongoing unrealistic dream in this city since - well, pretty much forever. Note the term "unrealistic".
That's what PROBABLY happened in the late 80's early 90's.....Not anymore.

Just drive across the SYLVAN BRIDGE and when you get to to the very top make a left or right at the stop light.

WHOEVER COMES TO VISIT SHOULD DEFINITELY GO CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!...AT NIGHT OF COURSE.

And i suggest you go from the west Dallas side to the design district....... They even put a black tarp over the beginning so it would catch you off guard and BLOW YOU AWAY surprisingly.

It'll NEVER get old to me.....I went tonight.....Blasting my R&B go-to song(Rose in a Concrete world by Joe......Yeah I'm old school R&B) that I listen to when I drive around Downtown and ALL of the core neighborhoods of Dallas at night.........Put's me in my feelings every time.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:47 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,719,802 times
Quote:
That's what PROBABLY happened in the late 80's early 90's.....Not anymore.

Just drive across the SYLVAN BRIDGE and when you get to to the very top make a left or right at the stop light.

WHOEVER COMES TO VISIT SHOULD DEFINITELY GO CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!...AT NIGHT OF COURSE.

And i suggest you go from the west Dallas side to the design district....... They even put a black tarp over the beginning so it would catch you off guard and BLOW YOU AWAY surprisingly.

It'll NEVER get old to me.....I went tonight.....Blasting my R&B go-to song(Rose in a Concrete world by Joe......Yeah I'm old school R&B) that I listen to when I drive around Downtown and ALL of the core neighborhoods of Dallas at night.........Put's me in my feelings every time.
I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Every time I drive over the Trinity River bottoms, I see the same old river bottoms I've seen all my life, only now with fake suspension bridge decorations along the sides of the conventional viaducts. (Hint: you don't need a suspension bridge to cross river bottoms delineated by 20 foot high levees. The fancy bridges are just plain ol' highway viaducts, with rows of pilings down to the ground, just like they always were, but with expensive unnecessary fake suspension bridge simulating decorations on the sides. Have they gotten the bike paths to be safe yet?)

I will grant you that West Dallas is being gentrified, and about time. Converting Industrial Boulevard to the "Design District" strikes me as lipstick on a pig, but maybe in the fullness of time it will turn out to be something.

I'd think of someone like Al Green or Isaac Hayes as "old school R&B" but I know nowadays anything cultural that dates back before 2015 is "old". That's just a snarky side note, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas