Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,902,914 times

Advertisements

Overpopulation breeds disease in every species. (esp people!)
That is why even if you do not hunt, be thankful someone does.

Most hunters are very avid conservationalist, they do not want to see game depleated etc...because then they would not have anything to hunt. look at the Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation or Ducks Unlimited for example, thier rooster is almost entirely filled with hunters, and yet they raise more conservation money than PETA for thier causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,281,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Overpopulation breeds disease in every species. (esp people!)
That is why even if you do not hunt, be thankful someone does.

Most hunters are very avid conservationalist, they do not want to see game depleated etc...because then they would not have anything to hunt. look at the Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation or Ducks Unlimited for example, thier rooster is almost entirely filled with hunters, and yet they raise more conservation money than PETA for thier causes.
Well said, or typed!

This is just a guess but fairly close to the truth, Hunter's put 80-90 % of their money into conservation efforts while 80-90% of PETA's money goes towards advertising and t-shirts. A lot of game animal populations has been reintroduced to areas due to the efforts of hunting as well as protecting land. So you may not like eating meat or believe it comes from a magical place called Walmart, but you should stop and at least acknowledge the work of hunters.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:54 AM

501 posts, read 1,465,225 times
When I read this post I immediately thought of my old neighbor. When we first moved into our first home in Plano our next door neighbor, who we already knew as both our kids played ice hockey, warned us that on Wednesday morning the lady at the house on the corner regularly "hunted" bunnies on Wednesday mornings (Wednesday was our trash day). It was a few months before I actually witnessed it, at which point the cute little bunnies had devoured a couple hundred dollars of annuals. We never reported her, she had one of the best looking yards in the entire development.

Edited to add:
To the original poster, I wonder if you are asking for your own information or if perhaps you have witnessed this from someone else. I know our former neighbor moved somewhere else in a nearby neighborhood.

Last edited by HockeyDadof2; 07-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Additional Comment

Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
3) small critters like baby rabbits is a good food source for rattle snakes...eleminate the food source, and you eleminate possible rattle snake problems...which can be fatal to humans.

4) cute little wild critters carry deceases like Rabies which again can cause harm to humans. There is a cure for Rabies but it can run as high as 7,000.00!
Yeah. We have such a huge rattlesnake problem in Plano.

And btw, lagomorphs do not carry rabies.

We have half an acre of land here in West Plano and the rabbits are plenty scared off by the dogs.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,902,914 times
Quote:
And btw, lagomorphs do not carry rabies
Flase.
Not common at all esp in Rabbits but woodchucks (lagomorphs) have been on the increase.
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/22/2/151.pdf

in our area the most common carrier of rabies is the skunk.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,826,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Flase.
Not common at all esp in Rabbits but woodchucks (lagomorphs) have been on the increase.
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/22/2/151.pdf

in our area the most common carrier of rabies is the skunk.
Good to know..Makes me feel even better than I already did for taking out a 15 pound Woodchuck last week for wacking my Cairn in the face. Mess with my family, get the pellet gun.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,838,207 times
There is no effective treatment for rabies once you actually become infected. If you are exposed there are steps to greatly reduce the likelihood of having an active infection, but once you are infected (not just inoculated) it is virtually 100% fatal. I have read of a single case where a girl with an active infection was, among other things, essentially kept in a coma with continuous IV infusions in an ICU for about 6 months and she did survive. However, there haven't been enough examples of this to decide how reproducible/effective it would be - plus the cost would be a heck of a lot more than $7K (that might be the cost for the post exposure prophylaxis though).

(edit) After some more research, it looks there are only 6 confirmed/known cases of people surviving active/symptomatic rabies infection without receiving rabies vaccination. If you're interested the treatment is phenobarbital/ketamine/versed induced coma, is still considered experimental, the case study patient was declared virus free after 31 days (not 6 months - I must be getting old). While she was in the coma antivirals were administered as well as vaccination. They basically took her central nervous system offline until her body could mount an immune response from the vaccinations and the antivirals had time to work.

Last edited by tyanger; 07-30-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,710,565 times
use a bow and arrow

Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 AM

621 posts, read 1,335,683 times
I would think shooting a firearm in the city would be a problem just in itself....But then you have cruelty to animal problems too!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM

13 posts, read 30,788 times
1. Trap them and release them elsewhere if you have a soft spot for rodents.

2. Dogs, especially dacshunds.

Pellet gun is not advisable for no other reason than it is just as likely to maim as it is to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas