Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 AM

689 posts, read 972,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Maybe you should instead of continuing to hijack the OP's journal regarding HIS personal experiences with statin therapy...
FACT - The OP stated the following in his own post "And red yeast rice, too? INHUMANE! I admit it. I had to look it up. appears to lower cholesterol"

"Why am I not just taking red yeast rice??"

FACT - Posters start threads to learn from others

FACT - The title of the thread is "My Cholesterol Meds and me." Pretty sure he didn't start this to have a conversation with himself.

Last edited by LaylaM; 06-27-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 2,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Lovastatin is still lovastatin, whether you get it from a pill or red yeast rice.

I'll let our readers judge for themselves.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vita...g-cholesterol/
One point those who are considering RYR should note is that like statins, RYR can also lower CoQ10 levels. So regardless of which you choose, taking a CoQ10 supplement is a good idea.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
My husband was on a pharmaceutical grade statin for about 4 years, then I became very concerned about some, potentially, serious side-effects and researched Red Yeast Rice as an alternative. We went to a holistic MD who advised him on which (reliable) product to take and the proper dose.

It's been about 8 years now and, along with Niacin, Fish Oil and CoQ10, his stats are excellent. His original dose has now been cut in half and he's had zero side-effects. His cardiologist admits that he knows nothing about RYR and doesn't (necessarily) approve but is 'pleased as punch' with the results. He doesn't feel the need to change a thing....

BTW, in case you're wondering, RYR is not a food. It's a capsule
This is a great story! I am so glad to hear that you two went to a holistic MD. Even though supplements are sold over the counter, I think it's still really important to work with someone who understands how to use them properly. Glad that the CoQ10, fish oil, and others are helping him!

Old 06-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcInTheCity View Post
This is a great story! I am so glad to hear that you two went to a holistic MD. Even though supplements are sold over the counter, I think it's still really important to work with someone who understands how to use them properly. Glad that the CoQ10, fish oil, and others are helping him!
Thanks! And I totally agree - for something of this nature it's important to get professional guidance. We were fortunate in that we had an MD in our community who was knowledgeable and experienced with this product.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I am thinking about staying the course for 3 months, when he wants me to get retested. If my levels are where they should be, switch over to RYR (& sups) for a bit and see if it stays down. Any input on that? I'd much rather go with a natural remedy.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I'm a she, btw.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I am thinking about staying the course for 3 months, when he wants me to get retested. If my levels are where they should be, switch over to RYR (& sups) for a bit and see if it stays down. Any input on that? I'd much rather go with a natural remedy.
As I shared in my earlier posts, something of this nature really does require a consultation and some initial advice IMO, though I have friends who just made the change alone. If you choose the right product (along with the above mentioned sups) your numbers will definitely change (or maintain) for the better - but it's really important to establish the right dose and a reliable product. They are not all the same both in quality and content.

You absolutely should be taking the CoQ10 right now to avoid potential muscle issues and maintain your dose if/when you make the switch to RYR. Even though you are less likely to experience those issues on RYR, precaution is best.

If you don't have a holistic MD in your area, a naturopathic (ND) will also be able to advise you. Because my husband has been on RYR for so long, cholesterol numbers are way, way down, actually a bit too low for what he needs. So now he takes half the dose he once did, but monitoring is key.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think this is a good plan.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:01 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
As I shared in my earlier posts, something of this nature really does require a consultation and some initial advice IMO, though I have friends who just made the change alone. If you choose the right product (along with the above mentioned sups) your numbers will definitely change (or maintain) for the better - but it's really important to establish the right dose and a reliable product. They are not all the same both in quality and content.

You absolutely should be taking the CoQ10 right now to avoid potential muscle issues and maintain your dose if/when you make the switch to RYR. Even though you are less likely to experience those issues on RYR, precaution is best.

If you don't have a holistic MD in your area, a naturopathic (ND) will also be able to advise you. Because my husband has been on RYR for so long, cholesterol numbers are way, way down, actually a bit too low for what he needs. So now he takes half the dose he once did, but monitoring is key.
That's wonderful it worked for your husband but it did squat for me. Nada.

So, no, numbers don't definitely change for everyone.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
That's wonderful it worked for your husband but it did squat for me. Nada.

So, no, numbers don't definitely change for everyone.
Wondering if you received a professional consult on product and dose? You might be surprised to learn how much you need to have a positive effect. For instance, my husband started out taking 6 a day of the suggested brand (now down to 2) Again, quality also makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals