Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if the OP is talking about BMX and DJ (Dirt Jumper which are slightly smaller MTB) bikes or some 16" bike designed for a 10yr old? BMX is like that Jeep sticker, " It's a Jeep Thing,..." You really had to be there growing up in the 70-80's to really under stand it. 70-80's BMX are like Classic Hotrods to guys like me who grew up in that era. BMX riders have moved on a little and created Mountain Biking but we still cling to our BMX bikes. I still have my Hutch Pro Racer but I rarely ride it anymore, figured I would pass it down to our son here pretty soon so he can ride it to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 AM

481 posts, read 864,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'm not sure if the OP is talking about BMX and DJ (Dirt Jumper which are slightly smaller MTB) bikes or some 16" bike designed for a 10yr old? BMX is like that Jeep sticker, " It's a Jeep Thing,..." You really had to be there growing up in the 70-80's to really under stand it. 70-80's BMX are like Classic Hotrods to guys like me who grew up in that era. BMX riders have moved on a little and created Mountain Biking but we still cling to our BMX bikes. I still have my Hutch Pro Racer but I rarely ride it anymore, figured I would pass it down to our son here pretty soon so he can ride it to school.
^^^ +++ 1

Yeah, I'm pretty positive the OP was speaking of BMX's (20") and not DJ bikes. 20" bikes are awesome, and flow great on the DJ's, flow and pump tracks. Make a great flatland bike as well. I grew up racing BMX back in the day, and wish I could maneuver those around again...lol. I do though still shred on a 24" cruiser, a DJ, and of course my big steeds, along with my son as well.

Man, the days of the Hutch were so awesome! I hope your son takes to it and shreds the heck out of it.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM

40 posts, read 185,723 times
They probably are BMX bikes. They are a totally different ride and fun in a different way, like the difference between a mountain bike experience and a beach cruiser experience.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,678 times
We just picked up a old Stingray Chopper (20" rear tire, not the Adult size) for $5. Just wanted it as a project to restore and customize. It needs a bit of TLC. My Wife is short so it makes a good size for her...lol. When we are done, she will probably scoot around on it a bit and when my Daughter is old enough, it will become hers if she wants it.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I see lots of guys 16, 18, 20, 22 years old riding around on bikes made for 8 year old kids. I want to assume these guys are just dorky dumbasses, but maybe there's something I'm not getting being from an older generation that grew up in the 60s and 70s where you would have been laughed at if you rode a bike that small as an adult. Can someone enlighten me on this phenomenon?

Bonus question: What's with so many guys slinking around wearing knit caps or hooded sweat tops when it's 85 degrees outside? Are they on their way to rob a 7-11 or this some cool fashion statement I am once again too old to understand?
I'm from that older generation (60's and 70's), and where I lived you rode whatever bike you could...to get you from point A to point B..Style wasn't important, most bikes were scabbed together, and anybody with a bike was considered fortunate, so no one was laughing...maybe at you if you didn't have one...the bonus question's got me stumped too.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times
....So they can hang out at the high school longer before being noticed!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
I grew up in the country running through the town and hills on my BMX bike ..... mainly Mongoose (a few different versions - 2 are still at my parents/grandparents homes - one complete that my nephews got working a couple summers ago and another chopped in a box after it was recovered from being stolen)

I'm a taller guy, even as a kid I was taller than typical for my peers. I would still take my BMX bike anywhere and do anything with it. Riding steps, jumps, skipping curbs, running a thin stretch for a balance test or speeding as fast as I could anywhere or just cutting through some bad terrain (and learning more often than not that you better understand how deep the gravel is before you put your moving bike into it...........) ...... if not moving we'd mess around and try to do different tricks with the bike, utilize the pegs, etc.

Paper route? Took my Mongoose. Going to a friends house? Mongoose. Going to play basketball or some other sport? Took my Mongoose. Going for a 10-15 mile trek? Took the Mongoose. Going to hit a ramp or other trick area? Took the Mongoose.

I pretty much lived on that thing.

My butt was only on the seat if I was just cruising ..... typically I rode it in a standup fashion.

My brother had a 12 speed and I'd ride it on occasion, but never liked it. I just didn't feel like I had the same level of control and could never quite get comfortable on it. Was so very different.

I've been on mountain bikes and some other "adult" bikes now that I'm well into my 30s. I still am not really comfortable on them.

However, this summer I was back home and my nephews broke out my old Mongoose ..... I just had to hop on and while I'm taller and heavier than the last time I was on it .... the thing just felt like home, complete control and comfort.

I honestly am not sure I could ride anything other than a BMX bike. I've been on a beach cruiser once and that actually felt pretty good, so maybe that.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,388 times
Interesting thread. I didn't think people cared who rides what. BMX bikes are fun to ride. They come in larger sizes, but does not offer the feel and flexibility of the traditional 20".

Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,258 times
I ride bmx I'm 36 this thread holds no information just ignorant comments by people who don't have a clue about the subject! I won't insult anyone's choice of life's and I don't pretend to understand it all but you do sound quite ridiculous from my perspective. As was mentioned bmx bikes are all small due to the maneuverability needed for complex tricks no we don't constantly do tricks all the way the the ramp park we just ride as a means of transport. If you are really interested in why grown men ride small bikes just type "bmx" in to YouTube and save yourself the effort of starting a threat to sound like a smartass.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,200 times
i think bmx wheels are small and mountain bike wheels are too bike. i like those custom dirt jumping bikes or what ever there called with wheels in beetween.

theres people doing tricks on something thats called mini bmx's now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling