Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 07:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

I saw a gentleman walking three Golden Retrievers on Bloomingdale Road, one of them off-leash.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:49 AM

264 posts, read 190,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I saw a gentleman walking three Golden Retrievers on Bloomingdale Road, one of them off-leash.

They are usually pretty docile, but I've had two friends bowled over and injured by Golden's at separate times. One on a trail and the other time one broke through its electric fence to chase a runner in the street.

I see a guy walking at least 5 micro dogs without holding their leashes. He walks down busy streets too, and the dogs run all over the place. One of these days one is going to run into the street at the wrong time and <splat> no more little dog.

There are leash laws for a reason.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
They are usually pretty docile, but I've had two friends bowled over and injured by Golden's at separate times. One on a trail and the other time one broke through its electric fence to chase a runner in the street.
Were those friends in the process of being mauled or attacked?

Quote:
There are leash laws for a reason.
I have mixed feelings. In my home town they were enacted in 1974. Before that dogs were allowed to roam from from, I think, 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. I wonder if 24/7/365 confinement/restraint is cruel.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have mixed feelings. In my home town they were enacted in 1974. Before that dogs were allowed to roam from from, I think, 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. I wonder if 24/7/365 confinement/restraint is cruel.
I had a dog that escaped my yard and got run over by a mail truck. She died in my arms. Letting dogs roam can be dangerous to the dog, to other dogs, children, adults, and wildlife. Many dogs are completely fine being confined in crates and small apartments. Do you want to risk your dog injuring someone's child when it's out of your control? I promise you, it will be your fault, not the child's.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:05 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Quote:
Good to know on the horn, that's too bad.

I am reading pepper spray is stronger than bear spray?

Re sprinting there is a gate I need to go under at one end and railroad tracks at the other, so I would also need to learn some mad bunny hopping skills! (and hope there isn't a train coming). It is really the worst place to encounter an aggressive dog on any of my routes
Revisiting this thread; With regarding the "bunny hopping." a good pair of riding shoes AND cleated pedals works wonders at developing one's hopping abilities. A little experience in trials riding results in clearing most obstacles in seemingly superhuman heights or at least "stepping" horizontally over logs & steps.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:53 PM

778 posts, read 503,975 times
I like to walk in the late afternoon, because I sleep better when I do, so I've had some contact with errant dogs. I usually have a plastic bottle of water. I've had dogs come out of their yard to bark at me when I walk, usually in the street. I heard two of them coming and turned around. One was coming right at me, and it seemed like he wanted to put his nose in my crotch. When he got close enough, I swatted him in the side of his muzzle with the water bottle. That changed his mind. His buddy, right behind him, was coming on, until I stared into his eyes and raised the bottle like a club. He also had second thoughts and cowered away. Just recently, walking in the street (there is no sidewalk in my neighborhood) an old lady was already having trouble with a big labrador mutt, in a front yard of a house, and when the dog caught sight of me, he went berserk, barking and growling. He broke away from the old lady and made a dash at me. I looked him in the eye, pointed a finger at him, and raised one hand high and behind me like I was going to swing at him, which I was, but he turned and kept his distance, but kept barking, and then he tried to get around behind me. I just kept turning and pointing at him as he went all the way around me. A passing motorist stopped, and the old lady was beside herself, screaming at the dog and crying at the same time. She managed to get hold of the dog, barely.
A dog will almost always challenge you to see what you're made of because he doesn't recognise you as a member of his pack. You have to take the upper hand immediately by countering his aggression with a firm response, and looking him in the eye tells him that you are not afraid of him. Carry a small baseball bat, and don't be afraid to use it if necessary. For an older person, a can of bear spray is a good idea.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:57 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Carry and toss him a big meaty dog bone.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:43 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I had an encounter with an off-leash Doberman female while walking my female Feist dog. She came running up at my dog being very aggressive. I just pulled my dog in and got in the Doberman's face saying loudly NO. She backed off quickly and all was well.

When I go on walks I carry a handgun and pepper spray. I would never shoot a dog unless it was attacking my dog (My dog is always on leash) and I wouldn't shoot it unless the pepper spray didn't work.

The problem I see is newby country folks thinking they don't need to control their dogs. Sure you can let your dogs run free in the country IF AND ONLY IF they stay on your property which they usually don't.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:30 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I had to start carrying a handgun when riding early morning. This idiot neighbor of mine let his Doberman out every morning and they had to come running out to stop it as I had to dismount and use my bike as a shield as it was trying to take me. I even told them that if it happens again I'll legally shoot it.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Bear spray IS pepper spray. IIRC It's at a higher concentration than the version people use for self defense.
The opposite. Bear spray is typically 1-2% capsaicin vs. 2-3% capsaicin in personal protection applications. Bear spray is likely still better in this application due to the spray pattern/distance, and the sensitivity of dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling