Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 03:44 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

Do you guys preventively change out the inner tubes? Is there a point when they get 'too old' or do you just wait till a blow out. I don't want to end up stranded on a bike ride so wondering if my 3+ yr old tires should be replaced. I ususally ride about 4-5 days a week, 10 miles each a day, 8 months out of a yr. And the other 4 winter months, I ride indoors maybe 3-4 hrs a week.

The back inner tube had a flat and luckily, it was winter so the bike was indoors mounted on a trainer. Turned out a small hole just developed (not from a puncture for sure) which I patched up. I usually bike outdoors (other than winter time) so if the same thing happened during a ride, it'll be much more of a hassle since I'd be many miles from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
You've got two things here: Inner tubes, and tires.

I've seen tires eventually get a little sketchy with brittle-looking sidewalls, after 10 years or so. As long as the sidewalls look OK, you're probably OK. For me the treads usually go down to the fabric first.

Inner tubes? well, I've never had one fail that looked like age. I can't say I've ever run one more than 10 years old.

At any rate, you need to ALWAYS carry a spare tube and a patch kit, so whatever happens you're prepared.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:47 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Yeah! Are you talking inner tubes or tires? Inner tubes will last indefinitely. Rarely do they "blow out". They get punctures from all sorts of road debris. As turf 3 mentions, get a small saddle bag and carry a spare tube and a patch kit. And also a small hand pump. Swap out the tube when you get a puncture while on a ride, and if you get a second puncture, patch it.

Tires on the other hand do have an expiration date. Usually determined by the tread wear. Rear usually wears down faster because it is "supporting" more of a cyclist weight. Keep an eye on the sidewall too. Some will deteriorate quickly, especially in the sun. Examine them periodically for little cuts, and replace immediately if you find one.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-16-2021, 12:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
tires also rot out from environmental damage, especially ozone, after a period of years. You can tell because the rubber will be cracked. Your blowout risk rises at that point. Inner tubes less so because they're protected by the tires, but considering how cheap they are, why not put in new ones when you put on new tires?

Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Innertubes tend to wear at the value especially if you have presta. It’s the constant use of the valve that will make them susceptible to breakage.
I swap tubes whenever I change tires about every 2-3 years.
Tubes are cheap. Tires will have wear indicators, small holes on the surface. When the tire wears that hole flat with the rest of the tire surface, it’s time to replace. Time will also make sidewalls crack so watch those as well.

The new technology is tubeless. The tire is mounted to the rim and filled with a latex fluid that fills almost any hole in the tire. I run those on my gravel and MTB bike with, so far, zero flats.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Innertubes tend to wear at the value especially if you have presta. It’s the constant use of the valve that will make them susceptible to breakage..
That's why you're supposed to tighten the little nut. Have been riding on Presta valves almost exclusively since 1982 and have never broken a valve - I might have had a leak at the valve ONCE.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:08 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's why you're supposed to tighten the little nut. Have been riding on Presta valves almost exclusively since 1982 and have never broken a valve - I might have had a leak at the valve ONCE.
Yea. You think Prestas are bad? I can't tell you how many Schraeder valve stems I found cut over the years. They're rubber on the outside, and the rim hole tends to wear through the valve rubber part.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:11 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Tubeless is now an option.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
I did have a Presta valve just break off before. Now I know why. I didn't know about the wear indicator holes on tires... hmm I need to see if they are all worn down. Thanks!!

Old 06-21-2021, 05:58 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The little nut or the post it sits on will bend. The little nut also falls off. They just wear out if you air-up every ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling