Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 04:28 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,272,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Some people say that all lives are valuable. I wonder if they think this statement also applies to the killers of these men?
I don’t. The killers of those men deserve the same fate, or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 11:14 PM

8 posts, read 1,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
??? So this is some murder dumping ground.

Yeah not a safe area.
It was the body of the farmer who owned the property where the well was located.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:15 AM

6,185 posts, read 3,399,135 times
Sometimes, I wonder about Australians. Many don’t seem to understand the dangers that await travelers in this part of the world, the US and Mexico, etc.

A few years back, I was working in a very small post office in the middle of the desert, west of Phoenix, remote location.

One day out of the blue, a very attractive young woman, around 20, walks in to the post office, no car, which was incredibly bizarre. Other than a gas station/ restaurant, there isn’t much there.

Anyway, I got to talking to her and it turns out she is from Australia, and she was doing a year visiting the US. She landed in Oakland, CA and the plan was to hitch hike, walk, get rides until she made it to NYC many months later. That way, she could see the entire US and experience it all.

Which is good in theory, I guess, but my first thought was: Are you insane?

I think about this woman often, because I think it is incredibly dangerous for a young woman to be traveling by foot alone in the US. She however, didn’t seem to have a care in the world, just assumed that everything is safe like back in Australia?

I sure hope she made it home safely, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t make it.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:24 AM

17,414 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Remember guns are also illegal in Mexico, so "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns"

I don't mind dying, but man I don't want to die doing something stupid (fighting Mexicans over used tires).

Old 05-07-2024, 05:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,545,013 times
It sounds like one of the brothers had lived in California for several years so should have been well acquainted with any dangers in Mexico.

Above post reminds me of how our daughter set off at the age of 22, firstly to Canada and on to London.
Travelled in Europe with friends and alone, then a month by herself in Turkey. Came home via China, Vietnam and Laos.

We were relieved when she got home safely but we would always dread a middle of the night phone call.

There are always risks with living, travellers come to harm regularly in all countries. We had an awful stabbing in Sydney recently, one of the six victims was a Pakistani security guard, one a Chinese student, another from the country of Georgia. Half the victims living here, away from their country of origin.

But with this killing, the poor parents who have lost two sons.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:37 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,462,058 times
As I age I have less and less desire to travel abroad anymore. God knows there is crime in the States but I just would not feel comfortable on a remote beach in Mexico.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:40 AM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Although the area where they were supposed to surf sounds like a safe'ish enclave, that whole area surrounding Ensenada is dangerous. As someone said, the wild west. Since these appeared to be capable, strapping young men, they may have not felt the danger as others might. But you can't fight off a bullet to the head. The criminals down there are animals and the police are corrupt.
What a tragedy......those poor parents. DON'T TRAVEL TO MEXICO. that's my advice.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:59 AM

26,792 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The criminals down there are animals and the police are corrupt.
What a tragedy......those poor parents. DON'T TRAVEL TO MEXICO. that's my advice.
Agreed.

The U.S. State Department said in its 2023 report that Americans should “reconsider” travel to Baja California due to kidnapping and crime. The “reconsider” category is the second-worst category, after the department’s “do not travel to” recommendation.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...o-what-to-know

Old 05-07-2024, 07:08 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Sometimes, I wonder about Australians. Many don’t seem to understand the dangers that await travelers in this part of the world, the US and Mexico, etc.

A few years back, I was working in a very small post office in the middle of the desert, west of Phoenix, remote location.

One day out of the blue, a very attractive young woman, around 20, walks in to the post office, no car, which was incredibly bizarre. Other than a gas station/ restaurant, there isn’t much there.

Anyway, I got to talking to her and it turns out she is from Australia, and she was doing a year visiting the US. She landed in Oakland, CA and the plan was to hitch hike, walk, get rides until she made it to NYC many months later. That way, she could see the entire US and experience it all.

Which is good in theory, I guess, but my first thought was: Are you insane?

I think about this woman often, because I think it is incredibly dangerous for a young woman to be traveling by foot alone in the US. She however, didn’t seem to have a care in the world, just assumed that everything is safe like back in Australia?

I sure hope she made it home safely, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t make it.
There was a poll taken, the question was: Who are the most Adventuresome tourists in the world. Australians came out #1 and the British were, I believe, #2.

Americans, at the bottom of the list.

I've driven all over Mexico by car, made 80 trips to Tijuana while living in Las Vegas, spend whole weekends there, walked around the city alone until 4-5am and never an incident, felt completely safe walking alone at 4-5am.

I believe drugs were involved with this incident.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:09 AM

19,718 posts, read 12,289,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Although the area where they were supposed to surf sounds like a safe'ish enclave, that whole area surrounding Ensenada is dangerous. As someone said, the wild west. Since these appeared to be capable, strapping young men, they may have not felt the danger as others might. But you can't fight off a bullet to the head. The criminals down there are animals and the police are corrupt.
Adventure travel is a big thing now. They put everything on instagram. One of these guys had on his social media something like - 'if you don't live on the edge you are taking up too much room'. Chances of bad things happening increase quite a lot with that attitude and confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events