Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 07:39 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,394,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As horrific as the treadmill video is, that wasn't what killed him. He walked out of that gym using a normal gate. He was beaten to death about 2 weeks later.

So very sad. What a pathetic case.
Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 07:44 PM

6,513 posts, read 4,055,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
so sad. What was the point of making him run on the treadmill? At first I thought it was going to come back to a crazy youth sports parent or something...but that doesnt seem to be the case. So sad.
Was he overweight, maybe, or the father considered him "lazy" or something? That's the only thing I can think of, that seems about in line with other child-abuse stories I've heard. (Or, the father just felt like torturing the kid and that was what he chose; who knows.)

The whole story seems odd, though. MEs who did the post-mortem say he died of blunt-force trauma. The father insists it was because he had sepsis in his lungs. The ER doc testified that x-ray of his lungs was clear and kid was released, but the father says the mother was told not to remove the kid from the hospital because he might have sepsis from pneumonia (where did he get that information and who told her that if not the doctor who saw the child at the hospital?). Will be interesting to find out what the father's "experts" and other sources of information say and how they came to those conclusions (did he have an independent post-mortem done? Was he in contact with hospital staff after the mother took the child there?) The whole thing seems to hinge on abuse that happened weeks before the child's death (even though the father insists abuse allegations were "false" despite abuse being on camera), and the father was known to have abused the child weeks prior yet the kid was still with him.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:58 PM

10,335 posts, read 15,204,042 times
Abusers think they are so smart. No one was going to know what he did to the kid. Plus, the kid wasn’t going to die, the abuser isn’t stupid. Riiiight…

Old 05-06-2024, 12:10 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,347,379 times
The most horrific part of that video was the father biting that baby on the head. The child also had other bite marks on his body. He had contusions on his liver and heart. The defendant is so incredibly evil that he makes no effort to fake the hate off his face for trial. Truly vile and despicable man.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:01 AM

32,061 posts, read 27,308,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Improvements need to be made to agencies like Child Protective Services and the child welfare system. There are a host of issues though. Conservative groups believe these agencies interfere with parental rights and prefer these agencies have as little power as possible. Increasing any agency budget likely means increasing taxes and most people do not want their taxes increased. Local and state governments often fund a substantial number of services through regressive taxes like sales and property taxes so moderate income people really feel the pinch when they are increased. Depriving a parent of parental rights is a long and involved process. Agencies generally lack the manpower to supervise families that are at risk as much as they should.

I would like for these agencies to have a bit more power than they have, but there are practical and legal considerations involved in doing that. My answer provides little solace to those genuinely mourning the death of an innocent child and seeking a means to prevent it, but everything I have said is accurate.
For what it's worth the mother is suing NJ CPS for what she calls "negligent" behaviour. It won't bring her son back from the dead but she hopes some good will come of it.

https://www.insideedition.com/corey-...ew-jersey-dcpp

Quite honestly parents and others have sued state child protective services before after various deaths of children. Same as with LE or prisons after deaths of persons in custody and so on. It often does very little good.

Places will either settle out of court, pay damages or whatever. There will be much hand wringing by elected officials and other politicians along with all sorts of promises to do better. Maybe a few low hanging fruit will be terminated or moved about, but in end nothing really changes.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:33 AM

7,216 posts, read 4,905,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
The most horrific part of that video was the father biting that baby on the head. The child also had other bite marks on his body. He had contusions on his liver and heart. The defendant is so incredibly evil that he makes no effort to fake the hate off his face for trial. Truly vile and despicable man.
I couldn’t watch the whole thing, didn’t see him bite the kid. The child’s heart and liver were “lacerated”, and cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Hope he burns in hell.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 AM

22,449 posts, read 29,611,440 times
I will not click on that link because it will beyond infuriate me and I'd like to try and have a non violent day today

Old 05-06-2024, 09:34 AM

2,754 posts, read 1,244,519 times
And they will want a jury of their peers to go to trial for them. Yeah like that will work out right. There is a definite flaw with making people go to jury instead of professional people to be jurors full time.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:49 AM

22,103 posts, read 13,217,402 times
Wasn't there a video of a stepfather repeatedly throwing a three-year-old girl in the backyard pool, fishing her out, and throwing her in again? I believe she died of "dry drowning" (out of water, but due to inhaled water in the lungs). This reminds me of that...

Old 05-06-2024, 11:05 AM

1,976 posts, read 713,994 times
There are situations where a mother will forego child support because the father is a "problem" and she doesn't want him to file for joint custody, visitation, full custody, etc. Not sure if this was the reason he only came into the boy's life later on.

An all around terrible case. And one article mentioned him having a criminal background; assault, robbery, property destruction. Some talk of "prison justice" doesn't have me feeing confident. Joel Steinberg is a free man. He abused his poor young "adoptive" daughter, Lisa, who died. As far as I'm concerned, Jeffrey Dahmer got his just dessert in prison. That's
prison justice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events