Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is so crazy. He didn't need to kill her. But these thieves are getting slicker and slicker. My bro and I and the bf discussed specific code words in case this comes our way. Not to get off topic but someone almost got my neighbor for 50k claiming to be from the FTC. When she said she was waiting for a phone call back from them I was like "Wait, what???" I stopped her immediately
My experience w/scam callers pretending to be some federal gov't authority is, that they all have South Asian accents,LOL! And they can never verify who they are; they just patch you over to another "federal entity"(Dept. of Justice, or whatever fantasy agency) with another South Asian accent, to vouch for the first guy. OMG, it's like some kind of highschool prank, except they're good at sounding urgent and intimidating. But with a foreign accent.

I got a call once from these clowns, claiming my credit card was used to rent a car to smuggle drugs across the southern border, and that my "case" was coming up in court soon. Of course they needed money to pay the court costs incurred, or some such. I told them to send me the paperwork, and I'd deal with it. Well, hearing that, they escalated the urgency and intimidation in various ways, saying there were terrorism accusations involved, etc. I said, "it's ok. I come from a family of lawyers. We can take care of it. Just fax me the documents."

*click*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Absolutely horrific. This poor women was initially shot in the leg as a method of torture and then finished off with a fatal gunshot.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Not knowing the laws in Ohio.. I suspect this will get pled down to manslaughter. I don't know if putting this guy in jail for however many years he has left is worthwhile. But.. This can't go unpunished, either. Tough situation all the way around.

Someone ID the gun in the guys hand. That looks pretty small caliber. Not that I'd want to get shot with anything, but.. I saw this picture and.. I swear, first thing that went through my mind is some 90 year old WWII vet with a Luger he took off a German officer.

The barrel on that thing.. It looks very Luger-ish. It's not, but.. focusing just on the barrel..

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

2,219 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Absolutely horrific. This poor women was initially shot in the leg as a method of torture and then finished off with a fatal gunshot.
Horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I am still not understanding why he shot her. It's crazy.
Prejudice.

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My experience w/scam callers pretending to be some federal gov't authority is, that they all have South Asian accents,LOL! And they can never verify who they are; they just patch you over to another "federal entity"(Dept. of Justice, or whatever fantasy agency) with another South Asian accent, to vouch for the first guy. OMG, it's like some kind of highschool prank, except they're good at sounding urgent and intimidating. But with a foreign accent.
With AI, now the scanners can run their voices through programs that can remove or lessen the accent, so that's another layer added to the con. I saw a piece on romance scams on one of the national morning shows that described the scammers in Nigeria or India running these programs to defraud folks on dating sites.

When number spoofing used to be more common, I got a couple of angry voicemails from what sounded to be older people screaming at me for telemarketing, when of course I had nothing to do with it. The scammers just used my number for their caller ID.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Torture? As in intentional? Naw! More likely the old guy hadn't aimed or fired that gun in decades. He fired the first shot in the direction of a supposed threat wildly. Bad luck it actually hit her. The second shot was taken with more focus and intent, but I bet luck was still involved. Don't get me wrong. I'm not excusing his actions at all. He had no business aiming a gun/squeezing the trigger at anyone. If he was that concerned about strangers that he kept a gun on hand and ready, he could have also chosen to keep pepper spray or some non-lethal weapon on hand. He was irresponsible, probably paranoid, possibly cognitively impaired. Now he gets to face the consequences of poor decisionmaking. Either way, the result should end up being loss of "freedom": prison or some sort of supervised care situation IMHO.

When I hear stories like these I think about my dad. He kept a loaded semiautomatic in his bedside cabinet drawer. Don't recall any other family knowing it was there. The safety was off, it was ready to go. He probably hadn't practiced with or touched it in years. Considering his frame of mind by the time family discovered it, the chance that he might feel threatened enough to shoot, injure or kill what he considered a home invader was considerable.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 02:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No they were both scammed. Someone called the guy with a fake kidnapping or something and told him they wanted $12,000 and someone would come pick it up. Then they ordered package pickup via Uber. The man thought she was in on it but she had no clue. He’s absolutely in the wrong, because she was trying to leave when he shot her. She was backing up to the car calling for help and was actually back in her car when he shot her.

Lawyers I’ve seen interviewed think they’ll go with “diminished capacity” due to his age as a defense. What I don’t get is why they don’t go after the scammer. They have to know who it is because Uber said they’ve suspended his account.
Kinda reminds me of a scam that was done to a former local restaurant. The place closed later. The caller asked to speak to the manager. Caller said that this customer was a criminal of some sort. I don't remember the details of that. Caller claimed to be law enforcement and it was an emergency. Had the manager basically strip search the customer. The restaurant fired the manager and the other people who were working at the time. Customer filed lawsuit and the paper never mentioned it again. Restaurant was closed down after struggling for a year or so. Fortunately, no one was killed over it. The police never pursued the caller.

People who do things like this need to be prosecuted and locked up. A woman is dead because of what the person did.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Kinda reminds me of a scam that was done to a former local restaurant. The place closed later. The caller asked to speak to the manager. Caller said that this customer was a criminal of some sort. I don't remember the details of that. Caller claimed to be law enforcement and it was an emergency. Had the manager basically strip search the customer. The restaurant fired the manager and the other people who were working at the time.
Anyone stupid enough to believe LE would direct them to detain or strip search anyone instead of waiting for officers to show up and take control of the situation probably shouldn't be responsible for a public facing business.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

3,457 posts, read 2,783,899 times
If the manipulator(s) of the two people is/are overseas, extradition could be a problem.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
If the manipulator(s) of the two people is/are overseas, extradition could be a problem.
I would think if they were overseas though they’d have asked him to wire money, not put cash in a bag to be picked up. I wonder what address they asked the Uber to deliver the pick up to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events