Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 01:03 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't know anything about these people and maybe he is a total @#$%^&*. I don't know. It's also possible that they have an agreement that if something like this happens or one of them dies, the healthier spouse moves forward and lives the happiest life possible. This woman is going to be cared for. Go over to the Caregiving forum and see how many people are giving up health and happiness to take care of someone and doing so without the support of finances or family members. This is not my life, but I'm not sure I would totally condemn him either.
Before condemning someone's motives out of hand based on such sparce details these are the sorts of things I'd be wondering about (assuming its any of my business). She could be very well provided for and if her cognitive state has declined to the point their relationship doesn't really exist, whether they're divorced or not may not make any difference to her. Apparently, they've been separated for a while. There are reasons for that. Her health may or may not be one of them. Sounds like a lot of people are eager to apply unjust stereotypes on someone simply because they appear to have a lot of money. That's not very admirable either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 01:39 PM

1,128 posts, read 609,356 times
I've always wondered if there is a strong inverse correlation between morals and your wealth.

Have you ever met a truly rich person who seems to have a selfless or truly kind moral center?

I know it's unfair to judge this old dude without knowing his situation in detail, but I'm of the thought that marriage should be a serious commitment for life (unless they cheated on you or betrayed you).

This seems to be him dumping her because of her health decline (dementia).

Basically the question is "what is his motivation" in divorcing.

Is it purely self serving (ie: to hook up with his long time friend). Or is it more selfless (ie: she would do better without him).

I've met really rich people. I've found that if they were born rich or just have been rich for most of their lives, they all seem to be pretty egocentric and selfish. So I'm guessing a lot of ppl assume the worse when they read headlines like this.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:03 PM

629 posts, read 408,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I've always wondered if there is a strong inverse correlation between morals and your wealth.
FWIW, I suspect the trait you are referencing is common to a broad swath of humanity, and it's more a matter that the wealthy just do not have to be (as) discrete about it.

At the other end of that spectrum, what about all the people who would hit me over the head, liberate my wallet, and rationalize it as "social justice"?

And no, that's not off-topic, it's to provide scope to your preconceived notion

Old 03-22-2023, 02:55 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
If she has advanced dementia, the woman he married is no longer with us.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
There was a study done about 15 years ago that found that women are 6 times more likely to be left by a male partner when they become seriously ill: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19645027/

So this example might be disappointing, but not surprising.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:41 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe they have a HC system as messed up as USA.

Spouse may need to protect assets, so divorces, but still provides 24/7 care for spouse.

This is not news, whatever the reasons.
Why would a billionare be worried about healthcare expenses and protecting assets?

Old 03-22-2023, 04:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why would a billionare be worried about healthcare expenses and protecting assets?
Have you been on the receiving end of USA HC billing?

They want it ALL...

Procedures that cost the care center $200... $200,000 might not cover. ("Don't worry, your INSURANCE (?) will cover it" )

Old 03-22-2023, 04:41 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
FWIW, I suspect the trait you are referencing is common to a broad swath of humanity, and it's more a matter that the wealthy just do not have to be (as) discrete about it.

At the other end of that spectrum, what about all the people who would hit me over the head, liberate my wallet, and rationalize it as "social justice"?

And no, that's not off-topic, it's to provide scope to your preconceived notion
That is NOT the definition of "social justice".

Next you're going to call it "woke".

What you are describing is compassionate euthanasia, or selfish voluntary manslaughter.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Why is this news?
Jealousy

Old 03-22-2023, 05:02 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
What about, till death do us part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events