Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

23,884 posts, read 33,614,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Jerry Boylan, the captain of the Conception dive boat where 34 people died amid smoke and flame over Labor Day weekend in 2019, was sentenced Thursday (5/2/24) to four years in prison for negligence that contributed to the disaster.

U.S. District Judge George Wu said he found Boylan “incredibly remorseful” and that he had not “intended to do something bad.”

The judge called it “one of the most difficult sentencings I’ve ever done” and said he was taking the 70-year-old Boylan’s age and health into account, as well as the unlikelihood that he would re-offend.

The judge also rejected the prosecution’s claim that Boylan had abandoned his ship.

Hearing those words, Boylan began to tremble and wipe away tears. He could have received up to 10 years in federal prison for his conviction on what is colloquially called seaman’s manslaughter.

The lighter sentence — and the fact that the judge is allowing Boylan to remain free until after a restitution hearing — left many of the victims’ family members furious.

“There’s no justice,” said Robert Kurtz, the father of one of the victims. “He’s not even being remanded. He’s still free.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tain-sentenced

Thanks for the update. Looks like he doesn't have to serve jail time until July. Of course the families of the victims are furious he only got 4 years, they felt he should have gotten 10 behind bars.

I'm not sure someone on night watch would have caught it in time, especially if they were playing a game or something on their phone. If the smoke detectors worked, they may have gotten out if they don't deeply sleep. We don't know at what point they woke up, trying to get out but it was too late, the steps were engulfed in flames. I don't recall if any of them tried to get out the emergency exit, if any of them actually knew about it.

I'm curious if it's changed anything on other dive boats, such as running fire drills to make sure people were paying attention on how to get out the emergency exit, especially since they are so awkward.

IIRC, there were trash cans that should not have been used on a boat because of how flammable they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:06 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm curious if it's changed anything on other dive boats, such as running fire drills to make sure people were paying attention on how to get out the emergency exit, especially since they are so awkward.
The emergency exits were poorly designed, but part of that has to rest with the USCG who approved the vessel. It's their area of expertise, or supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not sure someone on night watch would have caught it in time, especially if they were playing a game or something on their phone.
I crewed on a small passenger vessel (18 sleeping passengers/trainees, although we can accomodate 30) last weekend, and noticed one change: Each compartment has a night-watch button. When the system is armed, the buttons must be pushed at least every 30 minutes, or an alarm goes off - first in the crew area, then ship-wide. Systems that enforce that the rowing watch actually patrols are now a USCG requirement.

Old Today, 09:10 PM

23,884 posts, read 33,614,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The emergency exits were poorly designed, but part of that has to rest with the USCG who approved the vessel. It's their area of expertise, or supposed to be.

I crewed on a small passenger vessel (18 sleeping passengers/trainees, although we can accomodate 30) last weekend, and noticed one change: Each compartment has a night-watch button. When the system is armed, the buttons must be pushed at least every 30 minutes, or an alarm goes off - first in the crew area, then ship-wide. Systems that enforce that the rowing watch actually patrols are now a USCG requirement.

That sounds like a good addition that could save lives unless it can easily be disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events