Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 11:35 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times

Advertisements

I will admit that there is still only maybe a 10% chance I would ever take a cruise with my wife (and *maybe* our teenaged kids), and that % is down from maybe 15% pre-COVID.

But circumstances are such that the ease of booking a cruise is attractive right now. We usually plan our vacations from scratch. We've done one AI vacation and it was generally positive (low-lift effort to book it, minimal nickel-and-diming, ability to go off-campus).

We'd be considering a mid/upper cruise line, not a small ship or river cruise, just an above average either Mexico or Caribbean itinerary.

My main concern/question is--and it's hard to tell from the anecdotal stories I read here--it seems like the industry has shifted (post-COVID) firmly in the direction of paid upgrades, for food, bev, and other on-board amenities, coupled with a neglect and "downgrading" of the included amenities. in other words, increased nickel-and-diming. And also a persistent staff shortage leading to a more cattle-call vibe on board.

Cruise Critic seems to be a bit of a booster site, and less helpful for first-timers.

Am I off base in my thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 12:38 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I will admit that there is still only maybe a 10% chance I would ever take a cruise with my wife (and *maybe* our teenaged kids), and that % is down from maybe 15% pre-COVID.

But circumstances are such that the ease of booking a cruise is attractive right now. We usually plan our vacations from scratch. We've done one AI vacation and it was generally positive (low-lift effort to book it, minimal nickel-and-diming, ability to go off-campus).

We'd be considering a mid/upper cruise line, not a small ship or river cruise, just an above average either Mexico or Caribbean itinerary.

My main concern/question is--and it's hard to tell from the anecdotal stories I read here--it seems like the industry has shifted (post-COVID) firmly in the direction of paid upgrades, for food, bev, and other on-board amenities, coupled with a neglect and "downgrading" of the included amenities. in other words, increased nickel-and-diming. And also a persistent staff shortage leading to a more cattle-call vibe on board.

Cruise Critic seems to be a bit of a booster site, and less helpful for first-timers.

I've noticed the changes you speak of. I've only cruised NCL and they have cut services such as only one Cabin servicing per day, used to be two. Also seen a cut in stage shows from two to only one option. 7 day cruises used to include three specialty dinning down to two. Change in beverages available with drink package. Could be across the board on all cruise lines. The AI in Aruba was money well spent, only real problem was the lack of Coors Light at our resort (Riu Palace).

Old 06-27-2023, 05:08 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
We just came back from a 12 night cruise on Celebrity. Their model has gone to drinks, tips and wifi “all included”, which you pay for in terms of higher prices. We ate in the MDR (main dining room)or at the buffet, and didn’t opt to purchase specialty restaurant packages, but that is not new, it’s been like that over the 10 years we’ve taken cruises.

They are always trying to sell you something though. Restaurants, spa packages, high end shops, not so high end shops with deals on watches, jewelry, cruise logo brand items, artwork, it doesn’t stop. But you don’t have to buy any of it.

We’re not big fans of the nightly shows, only went twice to see a comedian who was hilarious. Sometimes the other shows feel a little too karaoke or school musical quality despite being advertised as blockbuster entertainment.

We didn’t notice much difference between this cruise and past ones and had a wonderful time. For us it’s all about the destinations we’re going to, and unpacking once for 12 nights and seeing amazing Scandinavian cities was well worth it. It gives us a taste of places we might not have otherwise gotten to see, or places we’d return to and spend more time. We’ve cruised 4 times, all in Europe, 3 on Celebrity and one on Royal Caribbean.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:41 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Their are lots of extra's you can buy and voluntary tipping that gets charged to your room each day. Be sure you understand costs and your options if a budget is important.
Try https://www.cruisecritic.com/ for specific questions

Old 06-28-2023, 07:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post

Don't give up on Cruise Critic. You may have to wade through some junk but there is good info there. Facebook also has cruise line specific pages as well as specific sailings pages by line and date.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:23 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Read "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace before you put your money down.

Just sayin'.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:14 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Read "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace before you put your money down.

Just sayin'.

David Foster Wallace died by suicide. Maybe the cruise tipped him over the edge or maybe he was a depressive. Not sure I want to take travel advice from him.

By the way, that article is hilarious.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:50 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

Just sayin'.
My favorite of his essays and one of my all-time favorite essays all around. So then you'd understand...his experience is kind of my starting point for why we've never cruised, except dial it back maybe 15%. The only reason we're barely considering it now is for the low-effort, semi-all-inclusive aspect.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
We just came back from a 12 night cruise on Celebrity. .... For us it’s all about the destinations we’re going to, and unpacking once for 12 nights and seeing amazing Scandinavian cities was well worth it. It gives us a taste of places we might not have otherwise gotten to see, or places we’d return to and spend more time. ....
This ^^^

Destinations have been unique, and not one's we would have seen otherwise. Daily rates have been cheap (Relocation cruises). I prefer a one-way, with a personal side trip on each end.

We did take ONE Caribbean cruise (Commodore Line, circa 1980), 300 passengers, vintage ship, calypso band, that was fun, especially the people you met and the daily Hagen Daz cart. ) The room was tiny beyond tiny, but we were young and agile.

I would have no interest in Caribbean or Mexico, as boats are full, and all ports are easy and quick to get to via flights.

Our 700 passengers on ships of 3000 capacity has been the norm on relocation cruises. That seems about right. We've never had passengers in the cabins next door, frequently get cabin upgrades, plan shore excursions privately, don't buy upgrades, don't eat at extra fee cafes onboard. Don't buy drink packages, spend a lot of time in the hot tubs before breakfast and after dinner (usually by ourselves).

I like the days at sea, looking for passing freighters or sailboats, moon and starlit nights are gorgeous on the open sea, (reminds me of the USA prairie on a snowy night).

Staff have been extraordinary attentive and very friendly on a relocations. (they are on a 'vacation', usually the end of their contract and headed home after 9 months away.) New staff boards when you arrive in new region. There were only 10 tables filled in the MDR, and we had 3-5 staff / table. Really well cared for!

RCL, and Celebrity, due to frequent cruiser perks.

With auditory sensitivities, I do seek QUIET, which is very elusive. I want ZERO music / announcements / Disco smoking. Very tough to find on a floating party boat.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:32 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
According to some news reports recently Covid-19 and Norovirus is increasing on cruise ships these days.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=cruuis...d6ad0a&pc=U531
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises