Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 11:46 AM

111 posts, read 106,493 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

we have every once in a while the possibility to take a last minute cruise, and with that I am thinking of 24-48 hours notice. All the sites I have seen marketed as last minute cruises are 3-12 weeks out, which for me is not a last minute cruise.

We live in Tampa, FL so have the opportunity to be at the port in Tampa in 2 hours, or Orlando (Cape Canaveral) in 4 hours notice.

So two questions:

1) Will the cruise lines advertise some really good deals if there is availability on a ship with very short notice (any of you got some good deals, if so what was it)?

2) Where and how would you find these, travel agent, calling the cruise line, or online?

All inputs are welcome,
thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 06:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
1) If you are expecting a cruise for pennies on the dollar. it is not going to happen on any popular cruise line. You will get the smaller and less popular sailings. Most cruises send out e-mail deals CONSTANTLY. Maybe, you should sign up for them and you will get a half dozen a week. As for 24-48 hours, I think that maybe unrealistic due to all of the processing required.

2) All of the above. I use an online cruise brokerage, Vacations to Go, as they are easy to deal with. I have not had good experiences with local agents.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:39 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
What I suspect the OP is thinking of disappeared years ago.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I usually see the last minute prices at 3-4weeks out and I haven't seen them drop from there (Maybe due to having to match lowest prices for existing frequent clients). I would suspect there is a 'break-even rate' for the line where they would rather leave a cabin empty that lose money on the other services.

$100 / night (for 2) is a decent deal, and kinda what I shop for. I think our last 14 night was advertised for $560 and we ended up negotiating direct with cruise line down to $430 (each passenger, double occupancy) outside cabin. Then there are the other charges + +, so consider it will be about double the base rate by the time you get on board. We ended up near $1600 for (2) for 14 nights all in (including insurance).

Frequent cruisers (loyalty perks for 60+ nights cumulative) can get a promo rate for about 1/2 that. (last minute, but within a few weeks).

Old 01-14-2023, 08:36 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
The Points Guy has a great article about last minute cruises:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/last-minute-cruises/

Quote:
Last-minute fares are right out in the open, along with other sales a cruise line might be holding.

Norwegian includes a “last-minute cruise deals” category on its online deals page. Royal Caribbean’s last-minute deals get their own page; scroll to the bottom to sign up for alerts, so you get first dibs on the offers. Carnival lists last-minute fares as Pack & Go, with a pricing button that allows you to filter results by your preferred price range. Sign up for Carnival’s VIFP Club to receive alerts — and maybe additional discounts.

You can also find last-minute offers from a variety of cruise lines in one place at vacationstogo.com. Once you provide your contact information to the online agency, you have access to a large, scroll-down list of last-minute deals over the next 90 days.

Cruiseline.com provides listings and a price alert you can sign up for, and icruise.com offers a last-minute deals page.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
OP, I don’t think you’re going to see a whole lot of these types of discounts. Since most cruises require final payment anywhere from 60-120 days a head of time, there is really no reason for them to discount any further right as the trip approaches. It’s not a situation like a hotel room where you can cancel right up until the day of check in and still get a refund.

If a person cancels the week before the cruise, the company already has its money. I don’t know whether things have improved, but cruise ships have also had some fairly major staffing shortages. If you don’t have enough staff to open all the buffet lines or serve everyone in the restaurant/bars in a timely capacity, you don’t want to be offering ultra low cost deals.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:16 AM

140 posts, read 111,008 times
Not going to happen, those days are long gone. After 9/11, security measures were enacted that required passengers to be screened, and I believe it's minimum 3 days before departure. You used to be able to show up with luggage on the day of departure, talk to someone about last minute cabins/prices, but 9/11 changed all that.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If we had a clue as to what OP is looking for in price, duration, distance, perks.... we could have a discussion and examples and experiences from posters or referrals, which would lead OP in a positive direction.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Although we don’t book through them, we price check at “Vacations to Go” and then go to “90 Day Ticker” for last minute deals. You may need to be registered to access the site.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Although we don’t book through them, we price check at “Vacations to Go” and then go to “90 Day Ticker” for last minute deals. You may need to be registered to access the site.
Or you can call their 800 number and they are very good at getting you the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises