Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 10:47 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Rogue wave slams into Viking ship off the coast of Argentina.

A freakishly large wave slammed into a cruise ship off the coast of Argentina and claimed the life of a passenger, reports AFP. Four other people on the Viking cruise were injured, though details of the death and their injuries were not revealed. However, all four of the injured are expected to survive. Viking's Polaris ship was sailing toward Ushuaia, Argentina—part of its journey to the Antarctic—when what the cruise line calls a "rogue wave incident" occurred.

https://www.newser.com/story/328667/...uise-ship.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 06:13 AM

333 posts, read 180,999 times
It's a good thing that a great whale wasn't being shoved along in front of the wave and slammed into the side of the boat at the same time. Many more injuries or deaths could have resulted.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:56 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
When I was in the Coast Guard, our cutter got hit by a large wave. We were on our way back from the Labrador Sea to our home port of Wilmington NC. Beautiful summer day with calm seas. Right at noon chow time, we got hit by a large wave and right behind it another. Food and people scattered everywhere on the mess deck. Two or three broken limbs and one concussion on a guy who was standing and got slammed up against a bulkhead. Throughout the ship, anything that wasn't tied down was all over the place. Luckily for me, even in calm seas, I kept everything in the ship's office where I worked tied down or put away.

I can't imagine what it was like for that cruise ship with that large of a wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises