Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 10:48 AM

217 posts, read 148,686 times

Advertisements

I certainly enjoy good food, but I’m just not that into “eating vacations” I appreciate exploring local food and experiences around it. I’ve never been on a cruise and reluctant to because of a food focused vacation. Obviously bad food would suck on a cruise, but I also don’t want sailing buffets as my main entertainment. Maybe I’m all wet on the subject ? Idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 12:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Food isn't the focus for us, either. In fact, on our last cruise, we decided to opt out of the dining room experience and just do the buffet. We mostly ate Caesar salads and eggs benedict every day and that's it. We'd go on off-hours so the buffet was not crowded and we could sit right by the water going by.

For us, the cruise (trans-Atlantic, 2-weeks) was about reading on the chaise lounges next to the water, getting drinks delivered, seeing the superb performances every evening, then live bands/dancing afterwards. Lots to do, or just relax.

Even the ports-of-call were secondary to us. We were going to Europe for a couple months and that's how we got there. Same cost as flying, for us, but way more fun.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:42 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Yes, because I never cared that much for the food, but we eat nice meals at home and go to decent restaurants.

We picked cruises where we only had one day at sea. We sailed at night and arrived at an island every morning. The we toured the island, shopped, snorkeled, etc.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:50 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Like life, a cruise is what you make it. I go becasue I enjoy travel & seeing new things, plus I find being on the water every relaxing. But I have witnessed gluttony on cruises, but what other people do is not my business. Live & let live.

River cruises do not have buffets, just 3 meals a day. Which is plenty.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:52 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
The cruises we've been on, with Celebrity, the food was incredible, whether buffet or dining room.

Unless you're spending an overnight in a port, you won't be exploring local cuisine for dinner because most times the ship is setting sail for the next destination at that time.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:15 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
It's only about the food if you make it so.

Most of the mass market lines provide restaurants and buffets. If you don't want a buffet, go to the restaurant and select your food from a menu. Wait-staff will bring you the food and provide beverages.

If you want to explore local culture and local food opportunities, take a land vacation.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:53 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Contrary to the stereotype, cruise passengers don't spend all day sitting at feeding troughs and stuffing their faces. Can you overeat on a cruise? Absolutely. Do you have to? Absolutely not. There's a whole lot more to see and do, both on the ship itself and at the ports of call.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:44 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's only about the food if you make it so.

Most of the mass market lines provide restaurants and buffets. If you don't want a buffet, go to the restaurant and select your food from a menu. Wait-staff will bring you the food and provide beverages.

If you want to explore local culture and local food opportunities, take a land vacation.
I think the bolded makes the most sense for the OP.

Unless you have an opportunity to have an overnight in a port, most port days run in the hours after breakfast and before dinner so lunch is your only local dining opportunity.

We've done several cruises but I only remember one time having a proper sit-down lunch in port. We prefer to maximize the time sightseeing and have just a snack to tide us over between meals on the ship.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Seattle is the home port for many cruise ships to Alaska, and they set a record this summer for numbers of passengers. With the Canadian Yukon, the glaciers, and shore excursions there is plenty to see and do. On the more boring part of the trip yes, I suppose eating and maybe gambling will help fill the time. I have a policy of not passing up free food, so I would probably gain 30 pounds on a cruise.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:12 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default Can a cruise not be all about eating?

Tasty food in unlimited quantities... that does sound good.

However, my dream cruise destination would be the coast of Norway...
those fjords and islands look so stunning that I'd want to be up on deck
throughout the daylight hours, so as not to miss anything.
The meals would just be quick refueling stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises