Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 11:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times

Advertisements

Riverboats, on the Mississippi, started a Thread on Travel wanting to know if I should take a tour of ports in the South Or stay in a town with a 1 day riverboat cruise. No response---yet !

Road Scholar, I'm considering as so enjoyed my tour with them in Charleston.

Has anyone taken a riverboat cruise, your experience, suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 04:10 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I've cruised the Danube and have no desire to cruise the Mississippi.

The European river cruises are like bus tours but on water.

My general experience. YMMV.

Every day another port, get off the boat in the morning for a group walking tour of the town, back to the boat for lunch, back to the town or stay on the boat. Set sail for next port during dinner. Small, low-key entertainment at night. Repeat.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:21 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

But with more legroom.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:38 PM

392 posts, read 275,084 times
Years ago I took a dinner cruise on a paddle wheeler on the American River near Sacramento CA. It was fun, as I remember. I'd be interested in a longer cruise on the Mississippi. I've done the Danube River cruise on Viking.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:42 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Anyone cruised from the New England coast, to Quebec, Montreal via the St Lawrence?

Old 11-27-2022, 04:14 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I've cruised the Danube and have no desire to cruise the Mississippi.

My general experience. YMMV.

Every day another port, get off the boat in the morning for a group walking tour of the town, back to the boat for lunch, back to the town or stay on the boat. Set sail for next port during dinner. Small, low-key entertainment at night. Repeat.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Anyone cruised from the New England coast, to Quebec, Montreal via the St Lawrence?
I took a cruise in October- it was fantastic, but we did not get the originally planned itinerary due to the storm (switched out PEI for Saguenay). It was a short one- only six nights, but there are others with more stops. I did read that Bar Harbor may not be available in coming years, so I was glad to get to do that. I did a bike tour at Acadia and it was very enjoyable. My group was fast, so we got to see an area not normally covered in the tour. We did the one ending in Quebec City.

The only negative to this is that there are very few flights from QC directly to the US and the Toronto airport is atrocious without Global Entry. I did try to get it beforehand, but the wait for the interview was like 3-4 months so I didn’t make it. If I had it to do again, I’d probably take the train to Montreal and fly from there. I prefer QC to Montreal, so I feel like it’s worthwhile to actually end there.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:51 PM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
Just curious, it seems to me that when I have looked at the river cruises that they tend to travel at night to the next port.
So why are all these pix/videos shown by the industry in commercials taken in daylight.
Almost seems like false advertising?

Old 10-18-2023, 02:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Travel at night on a river?

We've only done one, a week long on the Mekong from Siem Reap down to Saigon. It tied up each night, either on a bank or in the middle of the river. We traveled by day with excursions interspersed.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:37 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We know two well traveled older couples take the Mississippi river cruise in the last 18 months because they didn't want to take a long flight overseas.

Both said that it was okay. Both commented on the high cost and dirty river water. Both said they wouldn't recommend it.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises