Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love our Sony 46 inch LCD-I think the pictures look great. The HD pictures are excellent- I love watching nature shows, sports, just about anything in HD. Even the non-HD pictures don't look bad-sure they are not HD but they don't look awful or distorted at all to me.

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
My husband used his bonus a couple of years ago to buy a Sony 55" HD tv. I thought he was crazy but it was his money and he'd never just got something he wanted. It didn't take long before I fell in LOVE with that tv! If it is a good tv, the picture should not look distorted. You have to get the settings right but it's worth it! Watching football on it is AWESOME! And it makes you feel like you are in a theater when you watch a movie.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
I have a 52" wide screen lcd tv. I love the picture, it's great for watching hi def sports or movies. The one thing that I really hate though is the way a lot of movies , either rented or through my cable. are whats called "wide screen" That is when there are these thick black borders at the top and bottom of my tv. I notice that there are more and more tv shows being broadcast in this way too. It's so bad on some movies that it's liking watching tv through a mail slot. When it's like that I just change the channel. Can someone tell me how eliminating up to half the viewing area of my tv enhances the viewing enjoyment of a movie or show??? I just don't get it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps shooter View Post
I have a 52" wide screen lcd tv. I love the picture, it's great for watching hi def sports or movies. The one thing that I really hate though is the way a lot of movies , either rented or through my cable. are whats called "wide screen" That is when there are these thick black borders at the top and bottom of my tv. I notice that there are more and more tv shows being broadcast in this way too. It's so bad on some movies that it's liking watching tv through a mail slot. When it's like that I just change the channel. Can someone tell me how eliminating up to half the viewing area of my tv enhances the viewing enjoyment of a movie or show??? I just don't get it.
It depends on the original aspect ratio of the show or film. If it is TV, then it will fit the screen properly (or you can see if you have a zoom or aspect ratio function on your TV to change it). If it is film, then you are seeing the film in the exact size and proportion it was filmed in and shown in the theater. Many films are greater than 2:1 wide, while a widescreen TV is 16:9 wide, so it's only 1.77:1 wide. So the film will have top and bottom blank spaces.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
We have a 50" Panasonic plasma. Had it for a few years now. LOVE IT. The picture is very crisp. I also like it that you can stand anywhere at any angle and still see the same great picture!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
That is a setting you can change on most TVs. Don't have the set stretch the image and it will look fine. You will just see bars on the stuff that isn't widescreen. I love mine, all 50 inches of it. Sharp clear picture and I can sit far back from it and still see everything in great detail.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i love my tv. it's a sony bravia 32" and it has an awesome picture.
I also have the Bravia....a 40"...I love it. We have our old TV in another room now, and the difference in picture quality is like night and day.

To the OP, try adjusting the zoom....you should be able to choose between normal/wide/full, etc. I leave it on full.....the non-HD channels will have the bars on the side of the picture, but its not distorted.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
I've had my Hitachi HD 45" wide TV since 2001 and I absolutely love it! I have poor eyesight so having a TV this big is a God send to me.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
Edit-sorry wrong forum!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
We took the plunge when our Sony 32" died on us. We got a 52" Samsung and love it. It you're picture's distorted, you should have an option in your menu to change the picture format - 4X3, Zoom (we have 2 different zoom options).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics