Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 07:20 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,781,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Does it work differently than just going to the control panel and clicking "uninstall"?

Recently I tried to uninstall a piece of software that didn't work,
but uninstalling it created new problems. So I had to use the restore function,
and the software I don't want is still there.
It first runs the app's uninstall and then scans for file and registry items left behind. The end result is a clean uninstall with no garbage left behind. Even Dell recommends it for use when their own crappy uninstallers leave junk behind. The left behind junk can cause problems when you reinstall apps. This is especially true for drivers.

Revo Uninstaller is legit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 08:43 PM

652 posts, read 680,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
IF RME40 wanted to make this thread more helpful, he should have shared key details about the issue:
What was the application?
When was it installed?
Were there any issues using the app?
Why was he uninstalling the app in the first place?
How healthy was the system (free of malware? was it infected before? Any other issues the system had/having?)
Has the OP did a System Restore after installing the app (which could have easily changed/deleted application related registry entries causing this and other issues)?
I tried installing a game called Valorant from Epic Games Launcher. It had me install other programs in order to run the game. However, I didn't finish installing the game. Hope this info helps!

Old 03-16-2024, 09:42 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I tried installing a game called Valorant from Epic Games Launcher. It had me install other programs in order to run the game. However, I didn't finish installing the game. Hope this info helps!
Definitely helps and it is also a unique situation as it is not a normal app installed via normal means.
When dealing with game launchers, they often act as a gateway to their respective databases/server and also handle the installation as well as the uninstallation of the game.

You may see the game in question listed in "Programs and Features" but if it was installed through the game launcher/portal app, it should also be uninstalled that way too.
Since you didn't even install the game completely, it is quite normal that you ran into issues when uninstalling it. Next time, re-install the app then try uninstalling it.

So, this was neither a Windows issue or an app issue but sounds more like a "user error".

Old 03-16-2024, 10:11 PM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
I used to use Revo as well. Even Revo states that their leftover scan may not catch everything. So they offer their Real-Time Installation Monitor which logs changes made to your system during the installation of a program. Then when it is time to uninstall, their uninstaller goes through that installation log one-by-one, reversing everything back to its original state.

During my HTPC-era, installing and uninstalling programs caused more problems than anything else, often requiring reinstalling Windows. I seemed to break Windows (mostly XP and W7) and third-party programs so much that I often included Revo as the first step of a fresh Windows install. Then all other programs were installed using Revo.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-16-2024 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 10:29 PM

20,627 posts, read 4,412,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
It first runs the app's uninstall and then scans for file and registry items left behind. The end result is a clean uninstall with no garbage left behind. Even Dell recommends it for use when their own crappy uninstallers leave junk behind. The left behind junk can cause problems when you reinstall apps. This is especially true for drivers.

Revo Uninstaller is legit.

Thx for the quick rundown. It does work well.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
During my HTPC-era, installing and uninstalling programs caused more problems than anything else, often requiring reinstalling Windows. I seemed to break Windows (mostly XP and W7) and third-party programs so much that I often included Revo as the first step of a fresh Windows install. Then all other programs were installed using Revo.
One of the worst parts of the previous versions of Windows was the prompting of user whether to Keep or Remove of shared DLLs. I don't know if anyone remembers. You could keep them and see if they caused any problems down the road or remove them to see if they botch thing up even sooner. Talk about a double-edged sword.

At this day and age, there are free Windows images ready to go for the free VM apps like VMware or VirtualBox.
So, anyone can download a free virtual Windows image and add/import it to their VM app and do the 3rd party software testing/installation there. Eliminates any application caused issues and significantly minimizes malware infection probability. It is very simple and straightforward that it is a no-brainer for just about any one.

Also, more experienced or tech savvy users can easily create their own Windows image using the Windows 1x Media Creation Tool.

I use VMs to install all the apps I use as a portable app. Then simply copy their program folder from the VM's (Guest OS) '%ProgramFiles%' directory to a shared folder on my own system (Host OS) like the Downloads folder and see if I can run the app by double-clicking on the program executable. If it does run, there you go, you just created a "portable" version of that app. TBH, majority of the apps do run just fine as a portable app.

Keeping apps as portable without installing them on your actual computer keeps the bloat down. EVERTHING that is installed via an installer modifies registry, creates new entries and files on the system. With each app install the OS gets more bloated and slower due to Windows Registry getting bigger and disk space being used. There is also the chance each program installation can botch the filesystem. Using a VMs minimize that risk as well.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-17-2024 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-18-2024, 06:09 AM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Quote:
I use VMs to install all the apps I use as a portable app. Then simply copy their program folder from the VM's (Guest OS) '%ProgramFiles%' directory to a shared folder on my own system (Host OS) like the Downloads folder and see if I can run the app by double-clicking on the program executable. If it does run, there you go, you just created a "portable" version of that app. TBH, majority of the apps do run just fine as a portable app.
Maybe I'm missing something. The app runs, but it is not free of registry entries on the non-VM destination computer. In other words, when you copy the app's program folder (for an app that is designed to write to the registry) from another machine, it is still going to write to the registry on the destination computer as soon as the executable is run for the first time.

I've tried a couple of portable versions (when available) to try out an app. I presume those versions are specifically modified to not write to the registry.

Quote:
Keeping apps as portable without installing them on your actual computer keeps the bloat down. EVERTHING that is installed via an installer modifies registry, creates new entries and files on the system. With each app install the OS gets more bloated and slower due to Windows Registry getting bigger and disk space being used. There is also the chance each program installation can botch the filesystem. Using a VMs minimize that risk as well.
I've always assumed portable versions come with a performance hit.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-18-2024 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-18-2024, 08:55 AM

3,643 posts, read 1,597,875 times
I'm thinking the same thing, you can't turn a non-portable app into a portable app by installing it on a VM and then copying just the program file somewhere. An app designed to be portable is designed not to make registry entries and is designed not to require an installation process.

I don't a portable app creates a performance hit and should improve performance. They are often smaller in memory, do not write to registry etc.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:29 AM

Yes, I was being somewhat generic not to deviate or get too technical but whether the "portable" app in question will modify registry or not will depend on the app itself. When they do modify the registry themselves, it'd likely to be settings/configuration of the itself. They can either create new registry key(s) in that regard or use an .ini type file that contains said settings/configuration. The majority of the remaining registry keys that may come up will be created by Windows. No way around that. As I mentioned before, every action (mouse click, keyboard tap, background process, device driver, scheduled task, system service, malware, etc.) interacts with the OS and essentially has linked registry entry/entries. Registry is like a nervous system in a human body.

Here is a very rough analogy. Installing an app is like wearing oven mint to hold something hot, where a portable app is more like holding a piece of cloth to hold that hot item. When you are done with the task, the gloves remain on your hand. Just like putting them on, if you want to get rid of them you have to remove (uninstall) them but they might have left a stain or discolored your hand depending on their material, quality, etc. but using them would be more stable or effective long term (arguably). While using a portable app might also cause the same, it is far less likely. Also discarding that piece of cloth would be quicker, easier.]

With that understanding, depending on the task in question, a portable app may not be a good fit or might not even work. Imagine doing welding and instead of proper MIG or TIG welding gloves you are just wrapping your hands with some cloth, can be done but ...yikes!

Programs that create a ton of registry entries (mostly for proper function) like Office apps or complex games must be installed locally, of course. Such apps will either encounter issues or suffer performance the most notably.

Over the years, I have since apps that were typically installed came out with a portable version as well.
Best to always seek out a portable version of the same app if possible. Taking a peek at (https://pendriveapps.com/) or (https://www.portablefreeware.com/) would be a good starting point and it'd also clue the person in on what type of apps are likely to be portable.

Pro tip: I have been using RegShot and similar tools to capture "before" and "after" of not just the files but also the registry to analyze what changes were done (by the app or Windows itself).
I have also used this to reverse engineer malware infections to create scripts to remove specific malware infection from affected systems.
You can also use the same tool to create a snapshot of your system and then take another right after completing the application installation to see what changed, etc.
Of course, I do this in a controlled VM

Programs like Revo Uninstaller naturally relies on naming to find what entries were left behind but if you are using its "monitoring" feature, it'd be a lot like using RegShot and also comparing the snapshots on the fly.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-18-2024 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 07:36 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Imagine needing to scramble a third party application uninstaller because the install/uninstall method is so inconsistent and unreliable?

Imagine just jumping in and bashing Windows every chance you get without understanding.

The program was still loaded in memory. Once he killed that, he was able to uninstall.

Imagine reading past the first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers