Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 03:45 PM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
What benefit does Windows Mail give you? I just point my browser to mail.google.com for my Gmail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
At home, it really simplifies accessing multiple mail accounts
Quote:
mail.google.com does that with no mail client on any of my devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am sure they do.
Wait a minute! Anyways, just curious if I was missing anything after dumping email clients.

Last edited by akrausz; 11-10-2023 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 04:39 PM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
I assume none of this affects the client app version of Outlook - where I have several .PSTs...

Old 11-10-2023, 07:47 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Wait a minute! Anyways, just curious if I was missing anything after dumping email clients.
Honestly, I don't really have a consistent preference for this as I have used mail client apps on and off but for the most part, I was OK between using the browser and the phone.

Due to my new biz, I need to check (or be notified) of messages frequently. Also consolidating all accounts into one app that I am familiar with made sense but doesn't really matter what method people use or even what mail client they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I assume none of this affects the client app version of Outlook - where I have several .PSTs...
Yeah you are OK just make sure to keep a backup copy of them somewhere just in case.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:09 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't need to go to a browser. It's a program on your PC. But that's now what NEW Outlook is. NEW Outlook is...on a browser just like Gmail.
New Outlook is still an application on your computer just like it was before. You can access it through office.com if that is what you are referring to.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:42 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

My company went from all client-based to all browser-based and I lost access to all of my emails from over twenty years back. I can technically still get to them if I use a client-based Outlook, but they don't give licenses for those anymore. I was very surprised to find that there is no way to import old email to the browser-based Outlook account. Much like how Word no longer uses the .DOTX where I stored many years of scripts and macros.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:30 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
My company went from all client-based to all browser-based and I lost access to all of my emails from over twenty years back. I can technically still get to them if I use a client-based Outlook, but they don't give licenses for those anymore. I was very surprised to find that there is no way to import old email to the browser-based Outlook account. Much like how Word no longer uses the .DOTX where I stored many years of scripts and macros.
My employer deletes email that's more than 13 months old unless you are on legal hold for a lawsuit or have them stored in a size limited "Retain" folder. There is little to no reason to keep emails forever, and it costs money to do so.

To import .pst files into browser based Outlook, do a search for import .pst file to browser based outlook. I received a large number of hits.

You can use .dotx files in Word 365. Do a search for using .dotx files in word 365 for more information.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:34 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I was very surprised to find that there is no way to import old email to the browser-based Outlook account..

Of course there is.
Why do you need emails from 2003 is the real question.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:49 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Of course there is.
Why do you need emails from 2003 is the real question.

I have tons of data from old employers, contacts, that kind of thing. My job is kind of niche and it makes sense to keep up with former coworkers. Like I said, I can access them if I need to, but I don't care to deal with it right now, and that stuff doesn't need to be mixed in with my employer's email account anyway.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
For a while now I've been getting the flash banner that says Gmail is changing to Outlook, and today, clicking the mail icon redirects to the sign in and change page until I close that and open mail again.

It used to be a minor PITA to change your Email. Nowadays it's a major PITA and a BFD to do it. If you're retired and plugged into government websites, it's worse still.

Question number one that I haven't found the definitive answer to is if I (and millions of other people) will have to change email address when moved.

Question number two is whether or not they're going to sync everything to the cloud whether we like it or not if we do change, or if we can turn that option off like we can now (in theory!)

Lil' help?
I have the same questions, so "Seguinite", you're not alone. I had been getting the notices from MS for a couple of months, myself, telling me that they're moving to Windows 11 (or is it Win 12?), and suggesting that I "try it". Effective today, MS is making the move for us!!

What is frustrating for we "old timers", is that while we may be able to follow printed instructions, to work our way through this, they never provide them. Or, the instructions are very complicated, unless you've been highly educated in "computerese", something that we "old folks" aren't......

I've been retired for 15 years, therefore I no longer have my employer's IT guys to learn from.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:14 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
I don't care how old you are Leadfoot, you do not need PAPER to learn. Give yourself more credit then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers