Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 05:11 PM

8,420 posts, read 13,559,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Thanks. I did actually give the way to close the browser in my previous post (see above) but I hate to repeat myself, even in person, lol.
So, you are saying you are no Chris Rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, I shared to make others aware of this particular scam. https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...h-support-scam
It is not something new or unusual. This type of "fear" driven fake messages to get the gullible people to call them has been around for at least a decade.

It is mostly due to lack of "ad blocker" but as mentioned by Malloric, to a lesser degree, certain malware that already made it to your machine could cause it too, hence my suggestion to scan your machine because even if it wasn't compromised, it clearly has a vulnerability that can and more than likely will be exploited again.

At this point, you should run a deep scan on your machine using a reputable 3rd party malware scanner
OR at the very least do the following 3 simple things:

- Clear your browser cache completely, also delete everything in your user temp folder (START > RUN > %TEMP% > OK)
- Install uBlock Origin extension to your browser
- Run AdwCleaner as an admin (by right-click > run as admin) as I mentioned in my original post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 07:07 AM

16,611 posts, read 19,850,271 times
Quote:
No way I could close the browser, or even shut down.
For future reference or for anyone else: if you hold the power button down on literally any computer for more then 10 seconds...even a laptop....it will force it to power down. This has been a thing since the dawn of computers.
Of course EVERY time I mention this someone wants to argue and say it's not true. This one time it didn't work for them.
I've been in IT support for 30 years...I have shutdown 1,000s of computers this way. Once in my life this did not work. One time....in 30 years. That was just recently. I was blown away. So, 99.9999% of the time this works.
Many computers will start to shutdown windows when you do this...keep holding and it will shut it off.
Alternatively, for a desktop computer, you can just pull the plug from the wall.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 AM

5,474 posts, read 3,564,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
For future reference or for anyone else: if you hold the power button down on literally any computer for more then 10 seconds...even a laptop....it will force it to power down. This has been a thing since the dawn of computers.
Of course EVERY time I mention this someone wants to argue and say it's not true. This one time it didn't work for them.
I've been in IT support for 30 years...I have shutdown 1,000s of computers this way. Once in my life this did not work. One time....in 30 years. That was just recently. I was blown away. So, 99.9999% of the time this works.
Many computers will start to shutdown windows when you do this...keep holding and it will shut it off.
Alternatively, for a desktop computer, you can just pull the plug from the wall.
How did you shut down this one computer?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
How did you shut down this one computer?

Great question! It was a desktop. I pulled the plug from the back of the PC.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:43 PM

8,420 posts, read 13,559,084 times
Quote:
Great question! It was a desktop. I pulled the plug from the back of the PC.
What would you have done if that didn't work either, and also you heard a tiny voice inside the computer going "Ha-ha-hah"?

That happened to me once.....true story!

Old 03-28-2023, 03:34 PM

116 posts, read 64,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What would you have done if that didn't work either, and also you heard a tiny voice inside the computer going "Ha-ha-hah"?

Open the not-so-often-used drawer labeled "Big Hammer", perhaps?

Old 03-28-2023, 08:49 PM

33,630 posts, read 37,282,727 times
Another Phishing attempt. Any suggestion on how to stop them would be appreciated. My son suggested installing nord vpn.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=mcafee...0bf405fb44d691

Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,936,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Open the not-so-often-used drawer labeled "Big Hammer", perhaps?
Or finally a good reason to get an AR-15.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Another Phishing attempt. Any suggestion on how to stop them would be appreciated. My son suggested installing nord vpn.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=mcafee...0bf405fb44d691

You got an email this time or the full screen thing?? VPN isn't the answer.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:47 PM

33,630 posts, read 37,282,727 times
Quote:
You got an email this time or the full screen thing?? VPN isn't the answer.
No, it was the same as the first attempt, but this time control alt delete got rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers