Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

Now I am living in exile, although if one must live in exile, the Four Corners is a pretty good place to be exiled in. As long as you don't pay any attention to are ongoing mega drought and don't need much in the way of medical care, this is a very nice place to live.

If you decide that Colorado Springs is the place for you, my advice is to go for it and not hesitate since both home prices and rents will only continue to climb for at least another 5 years and most likely longer than that. Look at neighborhoods that are located west of I-25, especially if your outlook tends to be left of center. Ivywild, the Broadmoor, Skyway, Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs, and possibly Patty Jewett/Old North End just because I like the way that the older homes there are constructed and it is a nice neighborhood.

Best of luck in your search!
These are good recommendations for those still considering CoS. ^^^

If retired / not in need or desire of a SFR, There are a few 55+ senior housing co-ops which are filling quickly. Unfortunately, most are new buildings and not in the WG designated preferred regions.
i.e.
Quote:
my priorities include large lots, older construction, mature trees and a naturally pretty setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 01:12 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think you'll find that COS folks sort of sort themselves by interests and self identity. The people who live in Banning Lewis Ranch probably weren't also considering Old Colorado City, for example. The places are very different.

For me, I'd never live more than fifteen minutes from downtown unless I had acreage. That's just my preference. The only neighborhoods I'd personally consider would be downtown (Old North End), the Broadmoor, Cheyenne Canon (including Skyway), Rockrimmon and the area next to Palmer Park and the Colorado Springs Country Club. And if I were in Rockrimmon, I'd want to be on the north end of it off of West Woodmen. Those are the areas I personally like, but my priorities include large lots, older construction, mature trees and a naturally pretty setting.
My son was hiking in the Palmer Park area just yesterday. He sent me some pictures.

I don't care for Banning Lewis Ranch - it's just too big and too "suburban" if that is the right description. I loved the older houses in Manitou Springs. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter houses and although my son's house in BLR is only 18 months old, I don't feel like it was well constructed. He has had numerous and repeated issues with the a/c, the fridge and the lower level has a cold draft coming in under the baseboards. I also find it hard to believe that the builder only gave him a one year warranty. His place was over $350K!
His long term goal is to sell that house eventually and buy something more isolated in the mountains.

Still very undecided about whether I want to move there or not. At my age I don't want to wind up house poor. Lots to research and you guys have been very helpful.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:24 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son was hiking in the Palmer Park area just yesterday. He sent me some pictures.

I don't care for Banning Lewis Ranch - it's just too big and too "suburban" if that is the right description. I loved the older houses in Manitou Springs. I'm not a fan of the cookie cutter houses and although my son's house in BLR is only 18 months old, I don't feel like it was well constructed. He has had numerous and repeated issues with the a/c, the fridge and the lower level has a cold draft coming in under the baseboards. I also find it hard to believe that the builder only gave him a one year warranty. His place was over $350K!
His long term goal is to sell that house eventually and buy something more isolated in the mountains.

Still very undecided about whether I want to move there or not. At my age I don't want to wind up house poor. Lots to research and you guys have been very helpful.
I'm not sure of your budget, but the area between the Colorado Springs Country Club and Palmer Park has a good number of older people, and it's a very well-maintained neighborhood. I live in this area, and my last house was also in this area. We're in our 30s with young kids, and we've loved living here, too.

The streets I'm referring to are mostly off of Holiday Lane and Chelton up by the Park -- streets like Marilyn Road, Country Club Drive, Highland Drive and Grandview. Also include the areas right around the Colorado Springs Charter Academy on Chelton but north of Maizeland and northeast of Circle. It's well-kept, and most of the housing stock is from the 1960s. A large portion of the neighborhood was custom when built, and prices range from the $400s to, in a few cases, $800k or more. Lots are mostly larger and can even get up over an acre for some properties up by the park.

If you'd rather be at a lower price point and liked Manitou, I would recommend Old Colorado City -- particularly if you can do a smaller house and a single bathroom. There are quite a few 2/1 bungalows that come up in OCC for under $400k that are quite charming. Some were built a LONG time ago (turn of the century or even before), but some are 1940s and 1950s properties. It's a great area that is the closest thing the Springs has to Manitou (both figuratively and literally).

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2022, 03:52 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Thank you! I will look into Old Colorado City. I might be able to deal with just 1 bathroom.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thank you! I will look into Old Colorado City. I might be able to deal with just 1 bathroom.
Another nice area close to Old Colorado City are the neighborhoods a few blocks south of 24, between 21st and 26th streets. Lots of cute little older homes in quiet neighborhoods. And sometimes it's worth driving around that area, because some places just have for rent (or sale) signs out front and don't use apartment managers. A friend of mine rents in that area and loves it. Check out 80904 zip code and look at what's available for sale ... there seem to be some good options a reasonable prices.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:26 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Another nice area close to Old Colorado City are the neighborhoods a few blocks south of 24, between 21st and 26th streets. Lots of cute little older homes in quiet neighborhoods. And sometimes it's worth driving around that area, because some places just have for rent (or sale) signs out front and don't use apartment managers. A friend of mine rents in that area and loves it. Check out 80904 zip code and look at what's available for sale ... there seem to be some good options a reasonable prices.
Good recommendation. I will add that I think this area would be a good investment, too. It's some of the most affordable housing in a really neat area of town.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Good recommendation. I will add that I think this area would be a good investment, too. It's some of the most affordable housing in a really neat area of town.
Probably ... I hope those neighborhoods remain intact, because neighborhoods like those are a treasure, in my opinion. If I ever had to leave Manitou, that's the only area I'd consider in Colorado Springs. I like that there's not much room for major cookie-cutter development (so far).

Old 09-01-2023, 05:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
OP came back to say HI ! .........crickets,,,,

Old 09-01-2023, 05:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
we have been Ghosted......crickets....

Old 09-01-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
we have been Ghosted......crickets....

I think sometimes people don't know to *subscribe. But also, this thread is from last year. *I just looked, the OP did respond on the first page.

It would be nice to hear about final outcome/decisions.

Last edited by mtngigi; 09-01-2023 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Added text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs