Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 AM

1,013 posts, read 977,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

We did have a couple of grasshopper invasion of biblical proportions ....back in 1874 and 1937.
So are we due for another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:32 AM

240 posts, read 253,659 times
You're not likely to run into many obnoxious invertebrates in Colorado Springs. The only ones I remember are the miller moths and houseflies. Of course, you can find plenty of biting/stinging critters: hornets, bulldog ants, mosquitoes, camel spiders (sometimes called wind scorpions, even though they're not scorpions), bees, etc. but none of them are very common.

As a rule of thumb, the higher you go in elevation, the fewer invertebrates you'll see and vice versa. Pueblo and the Arkansas River Valley lie at lower elevations (below 4500 feet) so count on seeing more pests down there, especially right by the river. The only place I recall seeing biting and stinging flies in Colorado was at Bent's Old Fort in July.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
So are we due for another?
Probably not. These historic invasions came up from Texas and New Mexico, the eggs carried by the wind, which was blowing arid farmland topsoil into the atmosphere. They have become much better at managing these critters and the moisture required for farming, which results in us only needing to deal with localized critters.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
I grew up in Colorado Springs and I've never come across any scorpion invasions or heard anything about them on the news or IRL. I'd say you'd be safe from them there depending on how fast global warming moves along.

You do not want to live in the Four Corners Region, however. We have plenty of scorpions (as well as tarantulas) out here. When I worked at the library for Ft Lewis College in Durango, there was a massive hatch of scorpions in the stacks next to my office. I would step out of my office on a nice summer afternoon in August to discover them racing like mad toward the biology collection. Made me suspect a student prank since they seemed to be coming out from the section of entomology (study of insects) books that we had there. But I guess it was just a natural phenomenon. I was told it had happened before and indeed, it happened again. I kind of liked them in a weird sort of way - I majored in biology as an undergrad - but no one else shared my enthusiasm for them and the exterminator was called and I felt a bit lonely after his visit. Anyhow, the Springs is safe - for now.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I've lived here since late 2011 and not yet seen a scorpion. I did however, when living in Security-Widefield (closer to the plains than the mountains) have sun spiders invade the garage. One frightening moment when one was on my leg, but I shook it off without incident. They are FAST and rather alarming. I hear they've got a very painful (though official sources say, non-venomous) bite.

Sun spiders are neither scorpions nor spiders, they are "solifugae" or their own order of thing. A friend who is local to the area says that one should "kill them with extreme prejudice" if you see one in your home environment. They are the smaller local cousin to the camel spider they have in Iraq and I used to hear soldiers talk about staging pit fights between camel spiders and scorpions. I guess a camel spider can take out a scorpion sometimes. ??

Old 11-25-2022, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 522 times
Default Definitely in our house

We have them in our house and so does one of our neighbors. BUT we live on the mountain near The Broadmoor and also have red rocks in our house (feature rocks) the house was built around. We just moved here a year ago from the east coast and were very surprised to see them. Definitely not infestation because we have bug treatments done so maybe see one every other month.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:08 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
We have them in Grand Junction too. They supposedly are not poisonous, but they look creepy. We also have killed a couple black widows in the house and we have these huge Jerusalem Beetles that look like some ancient creature.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:11 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Scorpions are rare in Colorado Springs, but one must beware of the dreaded Western Winged Jackalope, said to be more vicious than the killer rabbits of Monty Python's demise.

- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:31 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
If you see a scorpion in the Springs, take a picture for reference. I want to see some of the smaller ones, haven't encountered any in my area yet.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:45 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Aren't the Scorpions from Germany?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs