Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 23,195 times

Advertisements

ok so I'm moving to Colorado Springs from Knoxville TN and being terrified of big storms and tornadoes, I am wondering if Colorado Springs gets tornadoes and if they do how bad are they.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Tornados are very rare in this area. There was one last year east of COS in Falcon. It was huge news. I remember an eyewitness estimating the tornado as 4 or 5. It didn't even make the Fujita scale. More like a dust devil. A few years ago there was a tiny one north of us. I posted a picture of it on here somewhere. Lasted only a minute and disappeared. I think the mountains have a way of protecting us from the ingredients needed to produce those huge tornados you see in the plains.
I worry more about hail than any other natural disaster. It can destroy your roof and really mess up your car. No real danger to personal health though.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Near the foothills you occasionally see a funnel cloud. The seem to only touch down more towards the plains.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 AM

3 posts, read 23,040 times
Been here 20 years, Never heard of one in the Springs. All are north west of Denver.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
However, when watching the news in Colorado Springs during the summer, you'll see a lot of tornado coverage on the news/weather reports, covering all of the T-storms/tornadoes/etc that occur on the eastern plains.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Tornadoes are rare in Colorado Springs, however, do not think it is some storm-free utopia in the summer. Colorado Springs is one of the most thunderstorm-prone locales in the United States during the summer months, averaging 50+ thunderstorms from May-September. Some of those storms do indeed go severe, the most common feature being large hail. Colorado Springs sits in "Hail Alley"--a strip running north from the Springs all the way to southeast Wyoming--where the largest number of hailstorms occur annually in the US. Hail golfball size or bigger does occur with some regularity. Colorado Springs is very lightning-prone, as well, with lightning injuries and deaths there (along with much of Colorado) having one of the highest rates in the nation. Colorado Springs' lightning reputation extends way back--enough so that Nikola Tesla, the famous scientist who developed much of modern electrical theory, lived there for a time in order to conduct lightning experiments.

If you love thunderstorms, as I do, the Springs is an interesting place to be; if you hate them, look for somewhere else to live.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM

256 posts, read 616,785 times
You're coming from Tennessee and you are worried about big storms and tornadoes in Colorado Springs?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
My stepmother told me a tornado hit Manitou about 40 years and and did some significant damage, but I'm not sure how to verify it. That's gotta be super rare though. The Springs gets some bad ass t-storms, but i"ve never seen anything coming close to a tornado.

Update: Ok, it was 30 years ago.
http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/...rvives-tornado

ANd this is from the Colorado Springs city government website:
http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=1193

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
Yes there are tornadoes in Colorado Springs. There are funnel clouds also, which are called tornadoes when they touch the earth.
In 1979 I believe I had lived here a year and 3 tornadoes touched down on the city's westside at about 21st and highway 24. One traveled east on Colorado Ave and all three did their share of damage. A liquor store called the Bottle Stop had its west side wall sucked out about 6 inches. The wall was made of cinder blocks. I have a few photos of damage in my photo box. It was a very thick sky just prior and the thunder clouds had a greenish hue. Then the rain then hail started and quickly became a down pour. The tornadoes appeared in trio for about 5 minutes travelling northeast then began going back up into the sky. The rain and hail stopped as the storm just like that moved on. The sky was as blue as could be and then trash started falling from the sky: fiberglass. roof shingles, small limbs and leaves and numerous other junk.
I have seen fierce storms here and also funnel clouds but not so much in the last decade. The city is not in the mountains but just east in what is called high desert plains. It can get cold and snow can drift on roads stranding the unprepared after a sunny morning. Winters usually were cold days followed by warm days but that pattern has changed to cold days only in winter. We are on the western edge of tornado alley, make no mistake, the weather can get violent. Residents must always bring clothing on outings for any type weather no matter the season. One year the Pikes Peak Hill Climb was delayed on July 4th because of snow!

Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Yup, '79 ---that's where all the trees went in Manitou's Memorial Park.
Came down from Woodland Park area
down the pass as I was told by a friend trying to get in front of it. What a story he tells!
But, no, they are not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs