Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You pose an interesting question.
It sure is!

My sister kept nagging my husband (employed by a financial Fortune 100 corporation) to find her son a job. Actually, relentless nagging over 18 months.

Well, his resume was a two page long with no internships or work experience. It was not proofread either. After a month of trying to fix his resume, it came out that he never graduated college.

This Fortune 100 corporation is very serious about security, so it would have discovered the lie. Most of their employees come from top schools with high gpa's, so it was very unlikely that my nephew have received an offer anyway. However, if the corporation hired based on his recommendation, my husband's reputation would have been mud.

It seriously tarnish my relationship with my sister. My nephew now has a job as a security officer at a hospital. I doubt a college degree matters in my nephew's present job, but his linkin still claims to have graduated college.

There is no point in lying on a resume. Besides most little lies don't change the hiring dynamics that drastically anyway. It's the knowledge that someone isn't truthful which is the killer.

As for "I was just wondering on people's opinion of seeing resumes where people don't reference the campus if the university is part of a university system" is definitely not a New York thing. Each SUNY/CUNY university has one campus - SUNY Purchase in Purchase, SUNY Oneonta in Oneonta, University at Buffalo in Buffalo or Binghamton University in Binghamton.

In NJ, Rutgers has three regional campuses: Rutgers–Camden, Rutgers–Newark, and Rutgers–New Brunswick. There is a big ratings difference between Rutgers-New Brunswick (top 40) and the rest (top 100).

Not listing a location is so odd, it would be a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:47 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
I always list the specific campus on mine, though my university has a relatively small footprint with only a couple smaller commuter campus affiliates. When my school comes up in conversation, people typically refer to the main campus because that is the one that is widely known across the globe.

I think you should leave it on, because considering a larger school system, there is generally a large difference in rankings and reputation between the flagship and the smaller affiliates. For instance, UC-Berkeley would not fall into the same bucket as UC-Merced.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:47 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
I don't know if this should go in the education section or the work section.

I was just wondering on people's opinion of seeing resumes where people don't reference the campus if the university is part of a university system.

Recently on LinkedIn, I received an unsolicited resume for Purdue University. Then when I opened it, it was Purdue University in Fort Wayne, as opposed to West Lafayette.

I know working in Texas, there are plenty of people that got their degrees from University of Texas at Arlington, ... and they conveniently leave off Arlington hoping it will be mistaken for University of Texas at Austin.

Also, Texas A&M Commerce leaving off the Commerce in hopes the degree will be mistaken for Texas A&M College Station.

Personally, I feel like it's being intentionally deceptive and the degree listed should match what the diploma says. Also, if this is the individuals first impression, and I potentially can't trust him or her where they are trying to put their best foot forward, then how will I be able to trust them on the job. I don't want to be following up on peoples' lying and spending an excessive amount of time verifying their work.
The stupid **** people do when applying for jobs amazes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities