Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 05:43 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've known employees at the Big Eight accounting firms. The first couple of years, they sleep in the office, shower and dress at work. It's a grueling schedule. My husband's nephew graduated form Northwestern University and was immediately hired at a big 8 accounting firm. He dropped out after the first year - couldn't take the atmosphere or demanding schedule. Again - if you bring that type of personality to the table - good for you. Most people aren't that crazy. In the case of Bain or McKinsey - many people are not that immoral.
There hasn't been a Big 8 accounting firms since 1987. I was working for one of them when it went from the Big 8 to the Big 6. Due to mergers and the government shutdown of Arthur Andersen, it is the Big 4.

I only stayed in the office over night once. No shower or change of clothes. I caught a flight in the morning and bought a toothbrush in the airport on my way to a client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 05:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
True, undergrad vs grad and professional schools are two separate matter.

Many CEO's graduate from just regular old public colleges and universities.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/28/thes...-500-ceos.html

People are people! For every Ivy League success story, there is a corresponding Ivy League fail-to-thrive example. For every second rate college, it's the same. In fact, a students with a full scholarship shows more common sense than if she graduated with tons of loans at a better school. It's what a person brings with them - work ethnic, personality traits, etc. that makes the success.
Lol what? You think it's simply a coin toss for success whether a graduate is from an elite school or a second rate college? That is absolutely not true.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s bizarre you bring moral judgement to this thread and the employees of Bain and/or McKinsey.
Right? When I think of immoral employees Bain and McKinsey certainly isn't even on the short list of companies I would think of.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Considering the very recent change at Harvard, one has to wonder if this is even worth a discussion.

A weak CV, coupled with duplicative language without attribution in her Ph.D. thesis, and voila- she's president.

I wonder if her thesis had been written at Kent State instead of Harvard would she have been granted her position?
You're just seeing DEI in action. But to your point, yes it will be interesting to see how that impacts hiring at prestigious firms over the next decade.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:30 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
When I think of immoral employees Bain and McKinsey certainly isn't even on the short list of companies I would think of.
Bain and McKinsey aren’t on your list; they’re two separate companies. That said, I find it odd you (and YorktownGal) have any sort of list relative to a morality judgement, no matter how short yours is - particularly relative to this thread. Both companies are heavily represented by Ivy League graduates.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:01 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...e4363ca0&ei=14

Just came across this article
please share your thoughts and stats if possible
is it really true where you go to college does not affect your employment ?
I thought going to good colleges increases your changes of connections networking etc
ofcourse exceptionally intelligent wealthy or lucky people will be successful regardless
But is it really true for the vast majority of us ?
Of course you're right.

Not just networking. Employers' eyes light up when they see Harvard or Yale on your resume.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:02 PM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
A good college is better than a bad college because you'll work harder and have better professors.
Not everyone can get into or afford a good college. And the definition of a good college is different for everyone. Only 37% of Americans have a college degree, so even a "bad college" degree is an achievement that most Americans will not have.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ent-in-the-us/

Quote:
Colleges can increase your connections for your internships and your first job. After that, you success depends on your work ethic.
Your success depends on your work ethic, risk tolerance, luck, and timing. There will always be factors you cannot control.
Quote:
In many way, Buffett says, he and Munger won the real-life version of the ovarian lottery and that helped launch them into their immense success. “I mean, Charlie — when we were born the odds were over 30-to-1 against being born in the United States, you know? Just winning that portion of the lottery, enormous plus,” he says.

He also points out that he and Munger were both born male and white, which gave them further advantages from the start.

He even believes it’s luck that blessed them with a sharp eye for business. “We won it in another way by being wired in a certain way, which we had nothing to do with, that happens to enable us to be good at valuing businesses,” he says. “And, you know, is that the greatest talent in the world? No. It just happens to be something that pays off like crazy in this system.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/04/warr...s-is-luck.html

Last edited by Rocko20; 01-03-2024 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-04-2024, 01:07 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There hasn't been a Big 8 accounting firms since 1987. I was working for one of them when it went from the Big 8 to the Big 6. Due to mergers and the government shutdown of Arthur Andersen, it is the Big 4.

I only stayed in the office over night once. No shower or change of clothes. I caught a flight in the morning and bought a toothbrush in the airport on my way to a client.
Well, I've got an earful of complaints regarding these accounting firms. I don't why and why your experiences were different. It's odd.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Lol what? You think it's simply a coin toss for success whether a graduate is from an elite school or a second rate college? That is absolutely not true.
I've seen my husband's Ivy League classmates mess up bad - an Ivy League school isn't a guarantee of anything beyond a first job. I know people who graduated from average state schools had a far better career than some Ivy League grads that I know.

I can't even believe that this is a discussion! What no Ivy League graduate was a failed business owner? And, no second rate college grad never started a successful company? What parallel universe do you live in?

Old 01-04-2024, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Bain and McKinsey aren’t on your list; they’re two separate companies. That said, I find it odd you (and YorktownGal) have any sort of list relative to a morality judgement, no matter how short yours is - particularly relative to this thread. Both companies are heavily represented by Ivy League graduates.
Gosh, you are so quick to point out errors! You really look at ways to put others down.

Of course, Bad Debt knew Bain and McKinsey were separate companies.

Bain made its money raiding retirement counts of companies - not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities