Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 04:46 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

AFAIK benefactors can gift him cash for his time in University (he does have to declare these amounts on his annual tax return.)

That gets around the risk of having a formal scholarship reduced.

Also, many companies do tuition reimbursement, so he can do that if he uses loans.

Remind him to stay out of trouble, as many students get derailed in Uni by random life events like bad breakups or having to work off large amounts of debt. On a lighter note employers like to see students who have worked while being in school as it proves the ability to multitask and put in long hours.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:23 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This site should help: https://www.fastweb.com/ It's a database of scholarships. When my kids were looking at colleges, I found this FB page https://talk.collegeconfidential.com...ents-forum/630 and asked other parents, just like you are doing here, but the difference is that there ALL of the parents are either looking for colleges or helping other parents because they just went through the process. The college search is a big learning curve, especially if you need financial aid.

Something that we looked into was more technical colleges that required paid co-ops or paid internships. Not only did that really boost a students resume, but it gave them some financial help and it could make them learn more about what sort of direction they wanted. Use these search terms, "colleges with co-op programs"

I also found out that many of the western states have reciprocal residency requirements for certain majors. https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/

Lastly, Have him make a spreadsheet that includes real costs, loans and expected payback cost. In a STEM major, he may well be able to pay back student loans relatively fast. My youngest son, who went into cyber-security, was able to pay back his student loans within three years, with zero input from us. We did pay the bulk of his college costs but he had student loans.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
TY. I cut & pasted some of the info & sent it to my sister. I appreciate the input.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:33 PM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
I’m wondering if he’s choosing a really expensive university? My engineering major kid got the ordinary scholarships for being studious and volunteering and only had to pay the meal plan for year one at their university. This was in state because some scholarships had to remain in our state.

He ought to look at a number of universities to see if he can find one that’s more affordable.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
I’m wondering if he’s choosing a really expensive university? My engineering major kid got the ordinary scholarships for being studious and volunteering and only had to pay the meal plan for year one at their university. This was in state because some scholarships had to remain in our state.

He ought to look at a number of universities to see if he can find one that’s more affordable.
There are 6 or 9 states that he can live in for in-state tuition costs... OR is one, ID, AZ are others... they're all western states. I forget what it's called.

Don't know details... is that due to the type of engineering, cuz he's in Reserves... I don't remember. But, of course they've checked into everything & anything they can to save money. I'm just trying to help them by asking for helpful info from those who can offer some, as per the OP. Some of the links are those easily found & we did find them years ago... but, there might be 1 tip someone might offer than can be of benefit.

The first couple of posts were helpful... I think that's gonna be what we'll get here, so I'll ask the mods to close the thread. TY for the input, Everyone. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities