Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

My kid is approaching college application age. I asked what he might want to major in, he gave pretty shocking answers to me. His top choices are:

1. Anthropology
2. History
3. "Something related to society and culture"

I know all about the debate to let kids choose what they want to study; hopefully we can bypass that. My issue here is, an anthropology degree seems very very useless to me. (and History is a close second)

I asked him why he's interested in anthropology, and he says he's just curious about human behaviors and how humans came about.

Is this a good enough reason?! Not quite to me. I wonder if there is something else.

So I want to ask the education experts... What are the most common reasons people may choose to study anthropology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:32 PM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
I'm not an anthropologist, but I have friends and colleagues who earned their BA in anthropology. They went on to become, usually but not always after graduate school:

art historian
curator
anthropologist
archaeologist
lawyer
NGO administrator
university administrator
doctor
economist

Old 09-25-2023, 12:52 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
From a college website:

"What can UM anthropology majors do after graduation?

Ecotourism, field archaeology, impact assessment, information research, museum technology, immigration inspection, historical preservation, bilingual education, international business, national park interpretation, documentary filmmaking, genetics counseling, education, management, energy resources, medicine, architecture, foreign service, travel industry, construction, contracting, law, library sciences, nursing, real estate."

Old 09-25-2023, 12:55 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My kid is approaching college application age. I asked what he might want to major in, he gave pretty shocking answers to me. His top choices are:

1. Anthropology
2. History
3. "Something related to society and culture"

I know all about the debate to let kids choose what they want to study; hopefully we can bypass that. My issue here is, an anthropology degree seems very very useless to me. (and History is a close second)

I asked him why he's interested in anthropology, and he says he's just curious about human behaviors and how humans came about.

Is this a good enough reason?! Not quite to me. I wonder if there is something else.

So I want to ask the education experts... What are the most common reasons people may choose to study anthropology?
It's his life...not yours. So yes, it's a good enough reason.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:16 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's his life...not yours. So yes, it's a good enough reason.

Depends on who is paying for it, or if the student will be taking on a huge amount of debt. To me, going into $200,000 or more of debt (or burning through that much of mom and dad's money) is excessive for a degree that does not lead to a lucrative job. But I'm a very practical person who paid my own way through college, so I'm sure that colors my opinion.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:29 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
I took a graduate coarse in cultural anthropology, and it was the best, most interesting, most informative class I ever took.

Please don't try to micromanage your kid. It's their education. If you're paying, and don't want to, let the kid know and leave him to study whatever he wants.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
As long as your kid is paying his own way through college... it's his money and time, and his interests may lead him to a very productive and happy life and career.

How many jobs and exposure to different people groups has this kid had?

Could be time for a yr abroad (on his dime). Many kids from other countries do this, but not so much for USA. there are some very attractive work visas available, especally with current employment situation.

One friend sent each of his boys away after HS to different countries (with a one-way ticket). To someone he knew would make sure they didn't drown.

This gave them a chance to make it on their own (decisions, finances, future, career, spouse, fun...) . They could come back home if they could figure out how to get there. None of them really wanted to come back, and each are now adults and very well adjusted. Two eventually came back and took up residence and careers nearby.

Everyone turned out fine.

Give your kid wings, watch them soar.
You will be amazed.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:45 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
He gave you a reason. You are just discounting it.

I know two successful lawyers who have history degrees. I knew another guy who worked in conservation for the US Air Force.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:52 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Depends on who is paying for it, or if the student will be taking on a huge amount of debt. To me, going into $200,000 or more of debt (or burning through that much of mom and dad's money) is excessive for a degree that does not lead to a lucrative job. But I'm a very practical person who paid my own way through college, so I'm sure that colors my opinion.
I don't agree. The kid will work for 30 or more years, and it ought to be in a career he chooses. Only a selfish parent would insist otherwise.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't agree. The kid will work for 30 or more years, and it ought to be in a career he chooses. Only a selfish parent would insist otherwise.
or... properly EQUIP their kids BEFORE college. (For choices and finances)

Ours each had ~$100k (earnings) by the time they needed it for college. (Probably more than I had available at that time).
They had each lived in 5+ countries, and did the daily currency exchange and interfacing with vendors at daily fresh markets. "Hey kid, why aren't you in SCHOOL " as well as many volunteer opportunites at home and abroad with wide variety of people groups and needs, (including public schools)

College was CHEAP for them (free! in my state instead of attending HS).

I trust they are well enough equipped to not have to w-o-r-k for 30 yrs AFTER college! (They each exited college with far more $$ than they had when they started college.)

Many ways to skin the cat. *

One even studied History and Anthropology (for fun and degree, but income / career is only augmented by their previous studies) Managing LOTS of diverse people and projects.

*we really enjoyed State Fair season as usual... talking with kids about their 4H projects. One 12 yo had collected over $20k on ONE of (6) animals she took to the fair. All things are possible, she has PLANS for her 'self funded' college... 4-6 yrs in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities