Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 07:35 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

You can take your pick from this article by Susan Dominus as to which aspect you find most worrisome:
-Idea of delaying boys starting in school?
-Lack of engagement of males?
-Catering to males?
-Laxness in schoolwork of males?
-Thinking that education is unmanly?

Affirmative Action Is Still in Effect. For Men.
‘There Was Definitely a Thumb on the Scale to Get Boys’

There are close to three women for every two men in college in this country. Last year, women edged out men in the freshman classes of every Ivy League school save Dartmouth.
Men’s relative lack of engagement in higher education is both a symptom and a cause of a greater problem of “male drift,” as it has been characterized by Richard Reeves, a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. Reeves points to rising rates of suicide among young men as a distressing signal of a vicious cycle underway.

https://www.ivycoach.com/in-the-pres...ffect-for-men/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-02-2023 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Please post no more than three sentences from a publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 09:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
What a sad article.

If that's life in the day of a "IVY COACH COLLEGE ADMISSIONS BLOG", no wonder that academic output is so pathetic.

My excellent, scholastic, male applicants during the era thay mentioned were passed over for females every time. That was fine, because the females were the only candidates getting job offers anyway.

America the proud...
https://www.ivycoach.com/in-the-pres...ffect-for-men/
Men’s relative lack of engagement in higher education is both a symptom and a cause of a greater problem of “male drift,” as it has been characterized by Richard Reeves, a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. Reeves points to rising rates of suicide among young men as a distressing signal of a vicious cycle underway: Men without college degrees tend to be underemployed, and underemployed men are less likely to marry and benefit from the grounding influence of raising children.

Academics?
Leadership?
Life skills?

here we go!

Be amazed.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-02-2023 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: When quoting, please quote no more than 3 sentences. Always add the attribution.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:49 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It’s common wisdom that athletes have an advantage over nonathletes in elite admissions because schools need to fill teams, but at many schools it’s the other way around — the school needs the teams in order to inspire more men to apply in the first place. Schools’ efforts to attract men can create a strange dynamic: The scarcer men are, the more they end up driving a school’s priorities.
That has to be the biggest load of bull crap there is. Athletics should be an adjunct to education, but the reason for it. People who go to college FOR the sports teams are focused on sports first, not on the education. How about trying to attract the men and women who want to be there for the education. Focusing on education first and getting ride of/downsizing athletics might save some money and lower the cost of education.

New policy, which I know will never fly in today's sports crazed environment: Coaches can only recruit from members of the accepted student body. No outside sports recruiting specifically aimed at athletes. This would take us back to the days of student athletes and put the focus back on academics.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:34 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That has to be the biggest load of bull crap there is. Athletics should be an adjunct to education, but the reason for it. People who go to college FOR the sports teams are focused on sports first, not on the education. How about trying to attract the men and women who want to be there for the education. Focusing on education first and getting ride of/downsizing athletics might save some money and lower the cost of education.

New policy, which I know will never fly in today's sports crazed environment: Coaches can only recruit from members of the accepted student body. No outside sports recruiting specifically aimed at athletes. This would take us back to the days of student athletes and put the focus back on academics.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

I LOVE your take on this, but there's WAY to much money at stake here now. Total craziness in college sports took over with the NIL and the doing away with transfer rules. With these changes came the insanity of the conference realignments. ALL this is being driven by greed within the universities, advertisers, the NCAA itself, and the media.

Read some of the posts on the SPORTS thread. It's a hot mess.

A little more towards the topic. There has been a war against men for a long time. Women have overwhelmingly been getting extra programs, scholarships, awards just for them, and other extra help now seemingly forever. It's a constant barrage. DO YOU EVER SEE ANY OF THESE TARGETED JUST FOR MEN?

Men have been knocked down and are constantly being kicked to STAY down in favor of women's "progress" for decades now. Take a look at Med-School graduation pictures. How many men, ESPECIALLY non-international student white men, do you see? Unless you're daddy is a legacy or big donor, you ain't getting in.

Last edited by jmgg; 09-25-2023 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 01:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
There are close to three women for every two men in college in this country.
This should be motivation enough for most intelligent young men to enroll.

I was on the campus of San Diego State this week transferring from the trolley line to take a city bus, It was clear to me looking around that the young ladies out numbered the young men 3-1.
Official stats site 57% female student body for this university.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:48 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!

I LOVE your take on this, but there's WAY to much money at stake here now. Total craziness in college sports took over with the NIL and the doing away with transfer rules. With these changes came the insanity of the conference realignments. ALL this is being driven by greed within the universities, advertisers, the NCAA itself, and the media.

Read some of the posts on the SPORTS thread. It's a hot mess.

A little more towards the topic. There has been a war against men for a long time. Women have overwhelmingly been getting extra programs, scholarships, awards just for them, and other extra help now seemingly forever. It's a constant barrage. DO YOU EVER SEE ANY OF THESE TARGETED JUST FOR MEN?

Men have been knocked down and are constantly being kicked to STAY down in favor of women's "progress" for decades now. Take a look at Med-School graduation pictures. How many men, ESPECIALLY non-international student white men, do you see? Unless you're daddy is a legacy or big donor, you ain't getting in.
Oh absolutely, I agree that too much money has corrupted the athletic process. I just want them to be honest about it and admit athletics is about money and not about attracting "male students." The number of athletes at most universities is trivial compared to the overall male student body, so that can't be the reason that attracts males to college.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:24 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
From the article:
Quote:
The trade-off is especially relevant for young men, who tend to earn higher wages without a college degree than their female counterparts — they might find jobs in construction or technology, which pay significantly more than the ones young women often land in elder care or cosmetology. Conservatives have also steadily been devaluing higher education in ways that might be more salient for men; the critique that liberal-arts colleges are pushing “gender ideology” on students positions those institutions as threatening to traditional conceptions of masculinity.
Pertinent this, I have both a son and a daughter in college. I am floored at, compared to my daughter, just how just how many people (almost invariably middle-age and older men from blue-collar professions) have tried to actively discourage my son from from going to college, even though he is a very good student and is pursuing a field that absolutely requires college. It's almost like their egos are tied to whether some random young guy follows in their footsteps and gets his hands dirty "like a real man." The lad has spent the past 6 summers doing hard physical labor (working for a landscaper, a plumber, a roofer, an HVAC repairman), but somehow his masculinity is called into question because his pursuit of a college education.

My husband, too, has been asked so many times by other men 'Why are you sending him to college? Why isn't he in trade school?" My husband came from a long line of tradesmen and was once a welder himself, so it's not we're strangers to alternatives to university.

Last edited by Hearthcrafter; 09-25-2023 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 06:25 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
1. Total college enrollment (graduate and undergraduate) fell 7% from spring 2019 to spring 2023.
2. Undergraduate enrollment decreased by 8.9% during that same period.
3. Women outnumbered men across two-year public, four-year public, four-year private nonprofit, and four-year private for-
profit colleges.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/researc...fit%20colleges.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
1. Total college enrollment (graduate and undergraduate) fell 7% from spring 2019 to spring 2023.
2. Undergraduate enrollment decreased by 8.9% during that same period.
3. Women outnumbered men across two-year public, four-year public, four-year private nonprofit, and four-year private for-
profit colleges.
at the moment... life (pay) (as an employee) is very profitable and available. School can (and will) come later for many able bodied and interested workers (Male and female). It is obvious that direct labor at higher pay is more available to males earlier than gals, but after trade / college the gals will equate the payscale in higher level employment. Sometimes 'guys' just need to grunt it out (to digest the message). That is not a bad thing for those who are anxious to grunt

Now's the time to WORK (collect the dough), this too will pass (quickly). Then schooling will again be the more popular choice (and maybe 'again' keep you off the battlefield)

BTW; gals make excellent drivers, especially HD Truck drivers. Equipment repairs are considerably less, and delivery / performance is much more consistent with gals. On the contrary, I have found many gal school bus drivers to NOT be very conscientious that they are driving, cornering, braking 20,000# - 40,000# of very lethal machinery. If I see a careless bus driver (there are many), I offer a very wide berth (for the safety of the passengers).

Old 09-26-2023, 07:14 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
You can take your pick from this article by Susan Dominus as to which aspect you find most worrisome:
-Idea of delaying boys starting in school?
-Lack of engagement of males?
-Catering to males?
-Laxness in schoolwork of males?
-Thinking that education is unmanly?

Affirmative Action Is Still in Effect. For Men.
‘There Was Definitely a Thumb on the Scale to Get Boys’

There are close to three women for every two men in college in this country. Last year, women edged out men in the freshman classes of every Ivy League school save Dartmouth.
Men’s relative lack of engagement in higher education is both a symptom and a cause of a greater problem of “male drift,” as it has been characterized by Richard Reeves, a nonresident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. Reeves points to rising rates of suicide among young men as a distressing signal of a vicious cycle underway.https://www.ivycoach.com/in-the-pres...ffect-for-men/

I have to admit that I find it amusing that I've had to hear whining about how women are under represented, and now this writer STILL finds a way to whine about admission when women are over represented.

P.S. She's also hiding from touching the 3rd rail by not subdividing by racial groups or majors.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-02-2023 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: fixed quote of quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities