Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 06:59 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times

Advertisements

Well, throwing first graders in with, say, seventh graders might be a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 07:13 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
if DE is 100% aminsitered by tghe higher EDU institution and is a common 100+ level course available to all college enrollees, it's not gonna be watered down (nor should it be).

Either you can hack it, or you can't. Better to find out sooner (as a HS kid) han as a FT college kid.

I have known thousands of successful DE students, a challenge, but they could all hack it (by choice - the alternative is 2-4 wasted yrs with peers)). Just chatted with one a few minutes ago at a picnic. Tested into college as a 9th grader. He's ready (academically and emoitionally). Some are not. They can stay at the babysitter (public HS).

$39m is big bucks to save on tuition.
https://cccs.edu/concurrent-enrollment/
Colorado's Concurrent Enrollment Program

The program is open to 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th-graders who receive academic plan approval and meet application deadlines and college course requirements.

Save Time. Save Money. Get Ahead.
Over 37,000 high school students take advantage of Concurrent Enrollment each year. This saves families approximately $39 million in college tuition costs! CCCS colleges award approximately 2,700 credentials to Concurrent Enrollment students annually – which significantly reduces the time it takes for these students to complete their college degree by over one year! And these students also benefit by being more competitive in the job market post high school and when applying to college.

Data shows that Concurrent Enrollment students have a 25% higher rate of pursuing a college pathway or postsecondary workforce training.

https://cdhe.colorado.gov/educators/...ool%20district.

Calling HS a "babysitter" isn't really fair to the kids. There is nothing abnormal or wrong with taking HS level courses when you are HS age. There are also plenty of activities like sports, band, clubs, etc that kids get involved in that can make a life changing impression and give them skills and leadership opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't get. One of my kids competed on his HS team in Nationals. To say that was an incredible experience for him is an understatement.

He could have taken extra DE instead but, in his case, I think he made the right choice to compete on his team. He's in college now and on track to graduate early so he has done o.k. for himself.

The schools that do offer DE do make their students (and their parents/guardians) aware of it. A guidance counselor might discuss DE with a student when it is an option for them. But the school does not press a student to take DE, nor should they.

Only academically talented, motivated kids qualify to take DE so it's not surprising at all that this particular group has a higher rate of pursuing college. That's sort of the point of DE in the first place.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
When foreign college students arrive on US college campus,they are surprised some of the science and math courses offered to junior/senior college students are the same as those they took in high school/secondary school in their own country.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:19 AM

why set the barrier at $125K for loan forgiveness?if a college grad is making $125K a year,he should be able to pay back his student loan?
I can see someone making $50K,but $125K per person or $250K per couple?

Old 06-30-2023, 07:27 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
When foreign college students arrive on US college campus,they are surprised some of the science and math courses offered to junior/senior college students are the same as those they took in high school/secondary school in their own country.
Most 4 year colleges don't offer remedial math courses. A student can take those in community college but not for college credit - their purpose is to prepare the student to take college level math.

The lowest math that a student can take for college credit is College Math or Statistics which are both college level in my view. College Precal and Trig would be next. Then Calculus.

I'm not sure what level the students from foreign countries have obtained but I would imagine that it isn't unlike the U.S. students who take AP Calculus in HS.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:45 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Those 14yo that still need babysat, can stay in their little age segregated cocoon. (Which has proven to not be so safe, encouraging, and successful).

Age segregated learning is a poor excuse for advancing knowledge and growing up a diversified learner and contributor to the entire society.

Adulting, would help stabilize loan choice and avoid the necessity (?) for forgiveness.
I’m not worried about the behavior of 14 year olds, I'm worried about giving 20 year olds access to 14 year olds. It’s a legitimate issue.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:04 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
So much for student loan forgiveness:

"The Supreme Court on Friday struck down the Biden administration program to forgive student debt for more than 43 million American borrowers at a cost of $400 billion.

The vote was 6-3, with conservative justices in the majority in an opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...e391ecc0&ei=17

Old 06-30-2023, 09:59 AM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
Productive people are the very least, responsible people. Productive people build a strong nation. Look at Japan for example. They build back their country so fast even after being destroyed by the war. Most people still have student loan debt after 20 years of graduation are mostly people who have lived beyond their means.

US has always had loan forgiveness for people who work in rural areas for community services based like teaching or medical professionals for certain number of years. If people don’t want to do that then work hard, budget wisely and pay back the loan.

With that said, the government can subsidize the interest for private loans for tuitions for graduate schools while still in schools (can be a reasonable amount of years, like 4 years graduate schools per person). I know people who graduate medical schools, and have the loans double at graduation (private loans with 10% interest).

Old 06-30-2023, 10:14 AM

US help Japan rebuilt,but I agree,the Japanese are hard working people,but our money helps

Old 06-30-2023, 11:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Can't their wages be garnished and even their social security payments?
You're correct. I just can't imagine the nerve of someone taking out a loan and refusing to pay the money back. So entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities